It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody run straight ATF?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

I googled it and found some people that run it no problem.
I've started a 7.3 Ford on straight ATF after cleaning all the gasoline out of the fuel filter housing. It started and ran fine.
I have access to lots of used ATF so I figure I could filter it with a 2 mic filter and put it in the tank.
Anybody have any first had experience?

CRD Motor/Timing Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68442076@N02/sets/72157629389449367/

Post subject: Re: Anybody run straight ATF?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

The only ATF I have run in my Jeep was to fill the fuel filter after I changed to a new one. I understand that ATF actually burns hotter that is why it is considered a good clean out your engine trick.

I have run it in a 1985 Mercedes never in high percentages because I did not have that much. I did not really notice a difference.

I understand there are two problems with ATF. The first is dirty ATF is friction material. It needs to be filtered multiple times. Especially if you are planning on bag filtering it. I would filter it hot and cold. The second problem is if you get your fuel checked by a tax collector...law enforcement they take your vehicle and you basically a no rights to get it back. Period. The odds of this are really really slim. But it smells different than diesel and a routine stop by the wrong person could be bad.

In florida we have alternative fuel permits that cost money for the reason of offsetting the lost road tax money. I have to admit it is less than road tax would be under most driving situations. If I could get enough ATF I would run it in my centrifuge 4 or 5 times to make sure it was clean and I would talk to someone at the altermative fuel permit office to see if red die fuel qualifies or if transmission fluid could be considered. There might be a 3rd downfall. I have read that burned ATF and WMO (waste motor oil) are very carsinagenic i.e cancer causing.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.