It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What WVO mix do you use without any engine modifications?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,
I'm from Quebec, Canada, and I have a Liberty CRD 2006, with about 50000 miles. Here, the price of diesel is going crazy, about 5.6 $ / gallon, so I decided to try to use a WVO mix. So, could anybody tell me, please, what WVO mix (I mean WVO with gasoline, or diesel or what-else and what is the percentage) can I use without making any modifications to the engine? I mean, there is anybody who has a successful recipe? I read on a forum about somebody who uses 80% WVO and 20% gasoline and runs his Jeep for about 4 years without any problem. Is this the ideal mix? Thanks for your answers.

Post subject: Re: What WVO mix do you use without any engine modifications
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

It will not start right on that mix or probably any other mix. And you will probably just clog expensive diesel filters. Especially in Canada. As I recall it is usually really cold there.

Your best bet is a full conversion and start up on diesel. It is not a hard conversion. I have lots of detail on how I did mine. You would need a fully heated tank ($300-400) depending on size and shape. 2 greasecar valves ($200) fuel line and fittings ($200) FPHE and insulation ($120) and injection line heater for the common rail ($40). You can build a nice system for less than $1000. And a few days labour. Payoff is quick at $4 per gallon assuming you have free grease and a way to filter it. But you have to have that anyway if you are going to blend the fuel.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, there is not a mix who will run well without modifications? I'm not a fuel expert at all, so even, I don't know, a 50% oil, 50% gasoline will not make something close to diesel fuel, something to save some money?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 am 
LOST Member

I run a 75/15/10 (WVO/RUG/DSL) mix during the warmer months in mine. You could run 80/20 but the flashpoint is a little lower than dyno diesel. I wouldn't run any more that 17-18% RUG. Don't run mix if the temps outside at any point drop below 45 deg. F or the fats will separate out and clog your filter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have successfully run 80/20 diesel/WVO all winter. 6000 + miles
Currently running 65/35 diesel / WVO.
Ran 50/50 mix all summer. Needed line heaters as the temps started to drop below 50 in the fall.
Using Diesel Clean additive helps.

New England climate