It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BioDiesel Pre-Heater & Gelling
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just wondering what others think of this product, if anyone has tried it or has theories on it's performance: http://www.springboardbiodiesel.com/springflow-250

It uses coolant to pre-heat the fuel. I know there are legitimate concerns with biodiesel gelling at low temperatures (I had this happen on my vw jetta, back when I had it, spent the night outside in mountain winter and had to replace the fuel filter the next morning before it would run).

Now, there is supposed to be a block heater on the 05 liberty crd, right? I couldn't find the cord if there is one. But seems that would be a better solution as it keeps the engine, and thereby the fuel, warm. This heat exchanger would only work if the engine was running (and if you are in freezing temperatures with gelling/gelled fuel in your filter, it isn't going to start).

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: BioDiesel Pre-Heater & Gelling
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

As far as the block heater goes....if it has never been used I believe it is tucked down near the oil dipstick tube and is hard to see. Someone else may confirm as mine had already been put to use before I got mine and was easy to find.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

The only way it truly works is if you install a 3 way valve that switches between two tanks a diesel and a biodiesel then it can heat up the bio. Of course if you were going to do that why not have a proper two tank conversion? That is just my 2 cents worth.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yea, I've only had issues in very cold weather running B100. But you can run B50 if you are in those conditions and be alright. If you have a block heater, it will keep the engine and the fuel warm enough to remove this issue. Just thought it was an interesting product.

I don't know if pre-heating the fuel while the engine is running will really do much to performance, either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greasey Bob, on a side note I'd love to learn more about your veggie conversion - spare tire tank, love it!