It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 50/50 WVO - diesel
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

First off I am a complete CRD noob... just got an 06 yesterday with 53K miles. I do not work on engines typically, but got this for the wife to drive, so noob / ignorant in that area as well. I have a friend locally that has an 06 CRD and runs 50% diesel, 50% WVO (I guess it's WVO, buys waste oil from local restaurant @ $.50/gallon). He filters it somehow (going to his place soon to learn the process). He has done this since the car was out of warranty, and it has 180K miles on it. No conversion at all, stock CRD. He has had no problems doing this.

From what I have read here though, that isn't recommended??? We live in Tennessee and the winters are pretty mild. Is this a factor? What do you all think?

Post subject: Re: 50/50 WVO - diesel
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 pm 
LOST Member

I think for the price of buying 50% diesel it would be a lot cheaper to do a proper convertion. Especially if the Jeep is going to be driven 25K+ miles per year. Converting is easy it is the costant collecting and filtering that is hard. I a curious how often he has to change the factory fuel filter with 50% WVO sitting in it every morning. What does it start like on WVO? I have been to Tennessee in winter it is mild to live in. But, if the glow plug light comes on it is to cold for blended WVO. Put someblend in the freezer and see what it looks like in the morning.
I tried to use blends on an old beat up diesel I had, and it would run fine but it would not start right at all. I think I am not going to try it but if you do you can tell us all about it.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.