It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty 2.4 running 100% E85
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I know the 2.4 is not very popular engine in the Us but just wanted to tell you that i have been running my Liberty successfully with E85 this winter.

First i mixed E85 with regular fuel 50/50 and later started using straight E85. However using E85 created fault code of too lean fuel mixture. Engine was working nicely on lower rews but didnt like going over 4000 rpm, my quess it was because it was going too lean then. Also the cold starts were difficult/impossible without using block heater.

When looking long term fuel trims from obd2 it was showing that ecu tried to add 32% more fuel and still the short term compensation was about +5 %. This is what caused the fault code.

After first 5 tanks i ordered a set of bigger fuel injectors from Ford Focus ST 225 5 cyl engine, i think they are about 330 cc. Now the long term fuel trim is about -10% telling that injectors are a bit too big so my quess would be that about 300cc would be the optimal size for this engine. Now the engine works fine both low and high rpms. The cold starts however are still hard/impossible.

Fuel consumption used to be about 20 mpg with regular fuel and with E85 its now about 15,6 mpg, this is winter driving with block heater. Temperature here has been between -13F to + 32F this winter.

Last week i built hot air intake from exhaust manifold to air cleaner to help with evaporation of the E85 in cold weather and to help warm engine more quickly hoping that it could save a bit fuel.