It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WIF light on after addition of biodiesel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:20 am 
LOST Member

Finally got my act together to make my own bd. I recently added just over 2 gallons of homebrew to my tank which was about half full of petrodiesel (~B13). I am 100% confident that the bd was dry as I boiled it off. I also conducted the 30/270 test and had zero fallout.

A day or two later, my water in fuel light came on at startup after work (as opposed to first thing in the morning). I turned the engine off then restarted and it did not come back on, drove home ~15 miles. This same thing happened the next day but upon returning home that day I drained the bottom of the filter off hoping that would solve the problem. Sure enough, next day after work (yesterday) the WIF light came on again but didn't stay on after cycling the engine.

I have run station bought bd before without this occurring.

Anyone else experience this? Any idea what would cause it given my confidence that this bd was bone dry? I think it's peculiar that it's happening after work as opposed to in the morning at startup...

Thinking about road tripping up to Maine in this rig tonight but I'm on the fence given this recent development.

Thanks a lot for your help.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

Post subject: Re: WIF light on after addition of biodiesel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

You may have a little bit of water in the filter that has accumulated over time. Just drain it and try again. It shouldn't be a problem after you've drained it unless there really is a lot of water in the system (from condensation in the tank, from the commercial fuel, or the biodiesel). Check out page 281 of the 2005 owners manual:

Quote:
Diesel fuel is seldom completely free of water. To prevent fuel system trouble, drain the accumulated water from the fuel/water separator using the fuel/water separator drain provided.

Instructions can be found here:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/routine-draining-water-fuel-water-separator-crd-eng-26609/

Or on page 14-49 of the '05 Service Manual.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

Post subject: Re: WIF light on after addition of biodiesel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I doubt it is your fuel if you observed good techniques (as you stated) but it could be a side-effect. Loosening something in the filter(as mentioned) has killed a couple of my filters when I switched between winter ULSD and summer (B20 or B100) fuel patterns. Assuming you have a new filter available, you can always try that for a few days to see it if helps and just not throw out the old one if that doesn't resolve the issue.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids