It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Plains Get Together-KS Rocks 08/2009 (with pics)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, I know kskj is probably still enroute toward home, so I'll start with a posting a few photos from today's fun day of wheeling at Kansas Rocks Recreation Park:

We had the camping area all to ourselves:
It was cool enough last night, that it felt good beside the campfire and looking into the star-filled night sky (since we were so far away from any municipality's light pollution).

kskj and MtnLuvr enjoyed exploring this heavily wooded and rock-laiden OHV park:

Gotta have rock rails to wheel in KS Rocks:

Probably the first KK they'd seen in KS Rocks:

Enjoying some of the blue or black diamond trails:

kskj does some flexing:

After going through some of the mudholes, I can't find my trailer hitch:

Yet another challenging climb, with the loose rocks, large rocks and greasy mud. I think this was the first hill on Cr@pshoot trail:

Stopping to air back up and check out after a great day of wheeling:

The wheeling was actually more technically challenging than when we were both at LJS '09 in Ouray, Colorado a month ago. The trails had trees tightly spaced, steeper rock faces and ledges, loose rock and the greasy mud made for a challenging yet very rewarding and fun day.

Thanks kskj for arranging this get together. Please let me know when you'd like to do it again sometime. I'll see if I can't figure out how to upload some video Sunday.

Anyone else in the "Great Plains" or general midwest area that would like to get together to wheel your Libertys, then please watch this Great Plains section. Also I definitely recommend the Kansas Rocks OHV Park.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just got home had to stop about 30 miles from the off road park and take out the front drive shaft. Started making a heck of a racket when we slowed down going through the town of Iola. I will post more pics of todays fun later.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kskj wrote:
Just got home had to stop about 30 miles from the off road park and take out the front drive shaft. Started making a heck of a racket when we slowed down going through the town of Iola. I will post more pics of todays fun later.

Sorry to hear that. If it helps, here's my first try at posting a video:

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Post subject: Video clips of kskj at Kansas Rocks OHV Park
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I didn't take many videos, and it appears didn't get any videos of the most challenging stuff since we were too focused on safely navigating the challenge. However, here's a few video clips from KS Rocks:

kskj coming down a little hill. I posted it because I found the sound of the nearby Kansas "wildlife" funny :)

kskj crawling over a few rocks before starting a decline:

kskj fighting up the poor traction section of Cr@pshoot hill. Sorry I didn't get a video when you made it.

I can tell, next time, I need to take longer and, when possible, more videos and try to insure we get videos of the most challenging stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like ya'll had fun.. Wish I could have made it.. :cry:

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is our pics for the day.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Last edited by kskj on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Jayme, we will be going back in the fall. We pretty much had the whole park to our selfs. There were 5 other jeeps there besides us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:14 am 
LOST Junkie

I just got home from the park and I will have to say that was one of the nicest weekends I have worked in a long time. The weather was perfect, I wasn't too busy, saw some nice rigs.

It was very nice meeting you guys and look forward to wheeling with you guys again. From the looks of the pics you guys did a lot more of the park that you initially thought you were going to do.

I know it's quite a ways out but our club, Brushbeaters, puts on the Wheeling for Toys in Dec. We usually have a pre run the weekend before. That's going to be the next time I get to see the park, but I thought I would put the bug in your ear about wheeling with you then.

After you guys left I had to go recover a 4 runner that got high centered in some ruts. He was new to the sport and alone and ended up on a black trail got all the way through it and then got stuck with the end of the trail in site. He walked to the cabin and we hopped in the XJ and took off. He takes me the way he went. He went through Rusty Bucket on 31's and open diffs. He said he used his sliders a little. I was amazed he wasn't stuck there. Since because of the way he took me I had to Rusty Bucket and made it through with a little drama. Almost took off my drivers mirror smacked my tie rod on a rock... Hard, and almost got stuck. So I did get some wheeling in.

Anyways it was good seeing some KJ's at the park and hope to see more of the LOST crowd out there. Drop me a line if you guys need anything, and look forward to next time.

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If we do it again later this fall let me know..

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D