It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheeling 101 at Kansas Rocks Sept 5th, 2009
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI, it appears Kansas Rocks Recreation Park (near Fort Scott, Kansas) is offering an instructive Wheeling 101 course on Saturday September 5th, 2009 (the Saturday of Labor Day weekend). They're also doing a night run that evening too.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for posting this up for me. I've been meaning to do it and keep spacing it off.

This is an awesome event for people that are new to the sport. This year KC4WDA will be the teachers, and they are a bunch of great guys that really know what they are doing. There is "classroom" time in the morning and then trail time in the afternoon. The night run is later that night and are a cool way to see KS Rocks.

You will need to preregister at Ks Rocks website see above post.

I also have a couple events I will be posting up here in the next couple days. Hope to see some more KJ's at the park.

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I went to this Wheeling 101 at Kansas Rocks (OHV) Recreation Park yesterday:
I enjoyed another chance to get my KK out on the trails to further test and develop my off-road skills and to improve my feel for the KK.

Didn't get any pictures from on the trail, as I was busy driving and didn't have anyone else I knew there to take and share photos while I negotiated some of the various obstacles. I was the only Liberty (KJ or KK) in the group. They had 14 vehicles show up for this so after the morning talk, we broke into 2 groups for wheeling. Everyone was very friendly and the leaders David and Ron were both very good.

I didn't get an exact count, but there was 1 FJ Cruiser, my KK and then of the remaining, probably 1/3 were XJ Cherokees and the balance were various years of Wranglers/Rubicons/TJs/CJs, etc. (sorry, I'm not yet that good with accurately being able to distinguish between all the short wheel base Wrangler models and years). By mid-afternoon, my group (of XJs and Wranglers) were commenting how impressed they were with the Liberty. I went everywhere the group went, and some of their rigs were notably more modified.

Due to the rain from this week, and drizzle during the morning, the trails were certainly greasier than when kskj and I went (see this thread) 2 weekends ago. There is no doubt, that moisture/mud increases the difficulty of every trail.

Anyone within driving distance of KS Rocks park should consider a visit. I like how they encourage and support family wheeling and has such a volunteer base.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wish I could of made it. Just let me know when you are ready to go again. I finished installing the OME springs and the front DTT yesterday so I'm really wanting to try them out. But I still need to find a new drive shaft cheap. I put my original drive shaft back in just so I could try it out. I found a gravel pile by the railroad tracks and it seemed to keep climbing even with a wheel in the air. But that shaft wont last long it was clunking pretty bad.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Really glad you made it down again. I know it's short notice but I maybe wheeling. Ks rocks the 13th. Itls the same day as the fall crawl so I figure it should be a little busy. Drop me a line if either one of you guys wanna go.

Thanks for the kind words for the park. Good times like you had are the best advertising we could get.

Look forward to seeing you on the trails

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.