It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CCV Filter Trap (CFT)
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, this is NOT an approved Tech Write up, so please remove/move if I am in the wrong posting it here...

This is a quick copy/paste with picture write up from a thread ealier.

Thanks to hankdz and RJM for their thoughts:

Original Thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41637

The first two pics show the hose routing from the CCV pot to the filters back to the air intake.

The next two show the filters and how they fit in the very tight space behind the brake fluid container.

The next picture shows an over all of the two filters with the engine cover in place.

The last picture is a wider angle shot showing the engine cover in place.

The route behind the brake fluid container is flexible.
The parts are: Pressure Washer Water Intake Filters with 3/4 inch NPT female threads from APW Distributing (on-line) at $45.95 for both including S&H. I bought them in October 2009.
The filters are made in many sizes. I chose the 3/4 inch due to the original hose size on the Jeep. I suppose a larger NPT intake thread would not hurt. I also chose the opaque filter housing. They offer a clear housing so one can see the gunk build up in the filter, but that cost a few dollars more each and I wasn't sure the whole contraption would work so I saved a few bucks. Now that I've seen it work, I would opt for the clear filter. I mentioned in my previous post that I cleaned the filters in March after about 5 months use. In that time I think I put less than 3,000 miles on the Jeep, but I don't remember for sure. Since cleaning it there are 1,500 miles more on the Jeep. I don't intend to look at it until I change the oil in the fall.
The pipe to hose, and elbow fittings are 3/4 inch NPT and the hose fittings are 3/4 inch garden hose fittings all from Lowe's.
I purchased the black hose from a local hose and fitting emporium. It is way over spec, but I got it at a real savings because it was the end of a reel. I still paid more than I wanted. It is high pressure hydraulic hose so it resists oil.
I used the hose fittings because I wanted an easy and fast way to disconnect the filters from the car so they could be cleaned.
Inside the filters I jammed some copper scouring pads; one in each. I tried two in each but the result almost crushed the filter screen that comes with the filters from APW.

Here is the Link for APW supplies, the clear ones look great!

http://apwdistributing.com/filters.html

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry