It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odd CRD problems? Steering wheel shake at idle-Help!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, I guess this is as good an introduction as ever to this forum, I have some very confusing problems with a CRD I may be looking to get in trade for my XJ. First off I've always wanted a diesel jeep and I couldn't find a more desirable one (state side anyway) then the one I'm looking at now. Its a 2006 Chili Pepper Red (my favorite color) CRD Sport. When I test drove it I noticed a few problems right from the start....It seems to have a slightly rough idle-granted I know its a 2.8 VM motori. I'm not expecting it to idle like a Northstar Cadillac or like my BMW but it shakes the steering wheel. I've searched and searched but can't seem to find anything that gives way to what this might be? Engine mounts possibly? Also when I drove it around 50-60 MPH I noticed a VERY subtle shudder coming from the drive line. I got the vin number to see if it had the recall done on the TCM and and TC and it's all up to date on everything except for the rear tow hitch recall. It's been a one owner vehicle and is VERY clean on the outside, no dents, scratches or rust which is extremely uncommon for Western New York! The other problem I've noticed is that the oil is VERY soot filled, the guy who owns it said he just recently changed it and chalked it up to just being a diesel and that "his tractor does the same thing". :roll: That being said...I'm wondering if the EGR isnt functioning correctly or the MAP sensor is dirty screwing with the injection timing/amount of fuel going into the cylinders and just washing them out. I've spent as much time as I can on this forum lurking trying to educate myself the best I could on VM Diesels and the KJ. I'd really love to have this because im going to be driving around a 100 miles a day round trip for work and need it for the MPG/Awesome factor. I know thats alot to take in all at once but if there's any seasoned veterans on here that have any clues about any of these things please let me know! I'd really love to own this jeep! Thanks in advance and hopefully soon I can join the club. :SOMBRERO:

Post subject: Re: Odd CRD problems? Steering wheel shake at idle-Help!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy- well as part of a new forum- you might try reading the labels - like the 'don't post questions in this section'

That not just being grumpy - that's because folks don't normally check the Tech section - main discussion is 'CRD...Love that Torque'

also when you get time the Noob guide is helpful
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

Mine has never had vibration/ rough idle - stock it was smooth and you had to show people the labels to convince them it was a diesel.

when engine mounts die they rattle like a can full of rocks -and it changes in Neutral/Drive/Reverse but they don't vibrate - just noise.

Black oil is due to the ERG - and it will cause problems

best to repost in 'Love that Torque' maybe someone's got an idea.