It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AC compressor disable
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Recently over on the Love That Torque section of the forum there has been some interest in mods that prevent the AC compressor from cycling in certain vent mode settings, for information on which modes see your Owner's Manual. Both ChessMaster and Kapalczynski have posted different mods in the past but the illustration links are now broken. If you go to https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKtkj ... sp=sharing I have posted a PDF version of both those mods with illustrations from a capture that I did several years ago.

Please note the mods are not my work; all I did was grab copies and flip them to a Word document (later PDF) as a personal archive.

For what it's worth if I was to do either it would be Kap's mode simply because it gives you more on the fly control.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: AC compressor disable
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I pulled my fuses/relays last winter and didn't have any problems.

Put them back in once mid winter to run the pump for a day or so for the seals.

A switch would be handy thou .. too bad I don't have more time to play these days. I still haven't changed a glow plug that went bad at the end of the winter last year.. need to make time or I'm going to kick my booty when it gets really cold.

Transgo 45RFE-HD2 / Tranny Filters / Fresh Fluid - 284KM - Jan 2015

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

This is my solution. Tape is all you need to remove A/C from the floor and defrost positions. (Additional mods shown also turns fan position 1=vent, position 2=1, position 3=2 and position 4=3.)

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:13 pm 

This is the original mod post with picture:

Here is the step by step modification instructions for those who need the procedure:

Posted by ChessMaster back in 2007
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6042&p=180099&hilit=Controlled+A%2FC+Compressor+Mod#p180099
ChessMaster wrote:
1) Remove the HVAC control head from the vehicle. Very easy to do, if you have problems with this part, stop here! :wink:

2) Remove the control head from the bezel by removing the 4 screws.

3) Remove the white cover from the back of the control head. DO NOT remove the vacuum switch attached to the back of the white cover, it will come off along with the cover just fine. There are 3 screws and about 8 snaps that you have to carefully work to remove the white cover.

3) Make 2 separate cuts in the copper strip where shown in the attached picture. I used a small pick to elevate the strips very slightly and cut them with wire cutters. Be careful not to rip the strip off the plastic attach points. I cut out a fairly large piece at each place, but it is up to you how big a chunk you want to cut out.

4) Solder an insulated wire from the post as shown on the picture, to a place just before where the connector is. Leave some room for when the white plastic cover is reinstalled. The wire shouldn't have to be a very heavy gage. I used a computer CD audio wire because of the nice cover on it.

5) Reinstall the white cover on the control unit, making sure the vacuum control valve is lined up and engaged properly. Make sure the wire that you just soldered in is not hitting any movable parts in the head, or is getting smashed into the top circuit board.

5) Reconnect all the HVAC control wiring (but not the vacuum lines) and test it's operation. You can do this without installing it onto the bezel for testing. The A/C compressor should now only come on when you press the A/C button, and not any other time.

6) If it works, reassemble the controller back into the bezel and the vehicle.

If it doesn't work, check over all the steps carefully. Make sure the cuts and wire attach points look just like the picture. You can always solder your cuts closed and remove your installed wire to take it back to original operation.

Picture:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount