It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:18 pm
Posts: 197
Location: Harshaw, WI
You can buy CV joint grease. I bought a tube the size of a toothpaste tube from Oriely's when I did mine.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited
-Timing belt
-Weeks 1 and 2 EGR delete kits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Posts: 1023
Location: N. Muddle Oregon Coast
It's the Detroit Axle grease boot that failed though.

I've got the grease, but it will just fling it out in every direction without a good boot to keep it in.

_________________
'06 Lbrty Sprt CRD 145Kmi

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING

IDParts New
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GPs

Flowmaster 942550
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15017911
2010 Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
AHS 45T TC
Cooper 51770

Future plans: GDE Trans&Hot-tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 2860
Location: Central GA
Here is just the boot kit complete with boot, seal, bolts, locking plates, and grease:

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.ph ... arch=me807
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Liberty-Ch ... 2194445339

This is the boot kit for the Jeep CV Joint that fits to the transmission side of the front driveshaft.

Part NO> ME807BK :google:

:SOMBRERO:

Image

_________________
2005 Jeep LibertyCRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stage4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit & Battery Tray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast&Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic. Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat,
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan / Hayden HD clutch
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Posts: 1023
Location: N. Muddle Oregon Coast
That would be The One!

Thank You!

_________________
'06 Lbrty Sprt CRD 145Kmi

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING

IDParts New
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GPs

Flowmaster 942550
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15017911
2010 Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
AHS 45T TC
Cooper 51770

Future plans: GDE Trans&Hot-tune


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:46 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 am
Posts: 43
Location: North Georgia
I am in the process of replacing the CV joint on the propeller shaft that was responsible for shredding the wiring harness on the Khaki Jeep. Upon inspection, it appears that the shaft end was worn down where the C-clip snaps in. But this is the first one I am rebuilding, so I am not sure what it is supposed to look like as far as the ridge/lip to hold the clip is concerned.
Can anyone confirm based on the pic below?
Image

_________________
05 KJ CRD Limited - Dark Khaki - GDE Hot Tune, Weeks 1&2, Samco's, Alive again
05 KJ CRD Limited - Black - 65k engine transplant in progress
05 KJ CRD - Silver - OME Lift, BFG's, Weeks 1&2, Samco's, low compression after runaway :(
07 WK CRD - 85K, GDE Eco Tune, Awesome!
04 WJ - 4.0, ROUGH Country 4" lift, Gasser :( but still torquey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 2860
Location: Central GA
craws010 wrote:
I am in the process of replacing the CV joint on the propeller shaft that was responsible for shredding the wiring harness on the Khaki Jeep. Upon inspection, it appears that the shaft end was worn down where the C-clip snaps in. But this is the first one I am rebuilding, so I am not sure what it is supposed to look like as far as the ridge/lip to hold the clip is concerned.
Can anyone confirm based on the pic below?

Yes that one has got some major wear issues! :shock:
You may be able to recut a new and slightly deeper eclip grove around the end of the shaft using a hacksaw that may possibly suffice. :idea:
But if you can get a new shaft, that may be your better option.... :wink:

_________________
2005 Jeep LibertyCRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stage4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit & Battery Tray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast&Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic. Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat,
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan / Hayden HD clutch
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 am
Posts: 43
Location: North Georgia
WWDiesel wrote:
craws010 wrote:
I am in the process of replacing the CV joint on the propeller shaft that was responsible for shredding the wiring harness on the Khaki Jeep. Upon inspection, it appears that the shaft end was worn down where the C-clip snaps in. But this is the first one I am rebuilding, so I am not sure what it is supposed to look like as far as the ridge/lip to hold the clip is concerned.
Can anyone confirm based on the pic below?

Yes that one has got some major wear issues! :shock:
You may be able to recut a new and slightly deeper eclip grove around the end of the shaft using a hacksaw that may possibly suffice. :idea:
But if you can get a new shaft, that may be your better option.... :wink:

Thanks WWDiesel. I appreciate the confirmation.
I ended up getting a bonus driveshaft with the drivetrain that I just picked up over the weekend. I am going to rebuild it while it is out and get rid of the one in the picture.

_________________
05 KJ CRD Limited - Dark Khaki - GDE Hot Tune, Weeks 1&2, Samco's, Alive again
05 KJ CRD Limited - Black - 65k engine transplant in progress
05 KJ CRD - Silver - OME Lift, BFG's, Weeks 1&2, Samco's, low compression after runaway :(
07 WK CRD - 85K, GDE Eco Tune, Awesome!
04 WJ - 4.0, ROUGH Country 4" lift, Gasser :( but still torquey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 2860
Location: Central GA
craws010 wrote:
I ended up getting a bonus driveshaft with the drivetrain that I just picked up over the weekend. I am going to rebuild it while it is out and get rid of the one in the picture.

Smart move! :wink:

_________________
2005 Jeep LibertyCRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stage4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit & Battery Tray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast&Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic. Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat,
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan / Hayden HD clutch
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com