It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Boise, Idaho
I bought one of Wwdiesels rear trilink mounts, and the ironrock UCA. I haven't tested it off road much yet, but here's my initial thoughts:

I had replaced the bushings and ball joint and the lca's 40k ago, so most people will probably get more dramatic results. But, the ball joint was very loose/toast already, and I was getting the wagging sway again. That's much better now, and it's quiet. I was under there two days ago installing the drive line as I replaced the u-joints, and everything looked good, but I need to get under there with a better light.

I've towed heavy a lot, so I need to add an extra rear iso, which will make the rear bushings sit in an almost perfectly neutral position, which will help them last longer. They are at a bit of an angle, maybe 10 degrees as is, which is much better than how the factory one was!
All around it's quite the upgrade. I can't imagine having to replace the factory ball joint every two years otherwise!

My drive line angles went from pinion 8 degrees and transfer case angle at 5 degree, to both at 5 degrees which should reduce vibrations. i adjusted the iron rock to the shortest/bottomed out position. OME lift with no extra clevis, top plates, or pucks/ rear isos...

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink,OME lift, JBA UCA's, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,Truetrac front,FFD fan,ARP's, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, Suncoast TC, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,
Mech fan, VH & AC delete,tensioner relocated
-CRD's being restored


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:39 pm 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 3778
Location: Central GA
Thanks Mountainman.
If anyone is interested in this mount, PM or email me. :wink:

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's/LED's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Boise, Idaho
Sure thing, thanks for making this amazing mod possible!!! I accidentally posted this in the tech section, maybe less viewers? Maybe admin can move it to regular CRD section?

Update: towed a CRD across town on my tow dolly, everything went well with the 6,000 pound load.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink,OME lift, JBA UCA's, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,Truetrac front,FFD fan,ARP's, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, Suncoast TC, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,
Mech fan, VH & AC delete,tensioner relocated
-CRD's being restored


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 537
Location: NJ
What did you pay for it?
Do you think it will increase how much the rear end will flex vs before?
If your lift was taller would you have issues getting a proper pinion angle?

_________________
L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Boise, Idaho
$125 I think, or $140 for the mount? Then the iron rock is about $300? Hmm, I'll go check.
Edit: I ended up at about $436 for the whole thing as I sold WW back the mount that came with the UCA.

The iron rock is adjustable up to roughly 6" I think. It's at the absolute lowest setting with a plain OME HD lift. No problems with pinion angle at all! Only better angle as you can adjust it.
You'll also definitely get more flex as the stock set up is actually binding/holding the axle closer to the body.

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink,OME lift, JBA UCA's, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,Truetrac front,FFD fan,ARP's, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, Suncoast TC, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,
Mech fan, VH & AC delete,tensioner relocated
-CRD's being restored


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:03 am
Posts: 537
Location: NJ
Mountainman wrote:
$125 I think, or $140 for the mount? Then the iron rock is about $300? Hmm, I'll go check.
Edit: I ended up at about $436 for the whole thing as I sold WW back the mount that came with the UCA.

The iron rock is adjustable up to roughly 6" I think. It's at the absolute lowest setting with a plain OME HD lift. No problems with pinion angle at all! Only better angle as you can adjust it.
You'll also definitely get more flex as the stock set up is actually binding/holding the axle closer to the body.
That's great to hear. I'm keeping it in mind for I feel I'm going to need a new rear uca in the next month or two.

_________________
L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 183
This is catching my interest. Are there any photos / installation write-ups available?

Thinking this might be a good thing to do as part of the suspension replacement planned for later this year.

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4:
225/75R16 Goodyear TrailRunner ATs
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 pm 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 3778
Location: Central GA
See this thread:> viewtopic.php?t=87307
If you want a mount, PM me.

Image

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's/LED's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:14 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 183
I'm definitely interested. A few questions:

It looks as though the bolt / threaded rod (not sure which one it is) used for pinion angle adjustment needs to be cut. This is something that I don't have a good way to do. Do you happen to know what the diameter, length, and thread pitch of the original item is, and what the length needs to be after cutting?

As shown, can this be used at stock height? Ideally, I'd install this before doing the suspension since I need to replace my stock rear UCA and am not running any lift at this time.

Are any modifications to the Iron Rock UCA required other than to the bolt?

Apologies for all of the questions, but I want to be sure that I have a solid game plan for this both before and after lifting.

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4:
225/75R16 Goodyear TrailRunner ATs
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am 
Online
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
I used the iron forge version (Ricky Parker original) of the mount..However, I did trim about one inch off of the center joint for more adjustment.... :POPCORN:

_________________
________
06 Renegade, 265-70-16 Duratracs on Moab's/OMF, RL sliders ,roof rack, On board air, JBA-UCA, adjust-a strut, Rear-OME 948 two uppers ,Sensatrac shocks, Boiler rad. skid, Mopar/4x guard skid,Terra-flex 4:1,HD cooling,more lights, gauges. ARB/Warn, Mudds Rear Bumper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 3778
Location: Central GA
casm wrote:
I'm definitely interested. A few questions:
It looks as though the bolt / threaded rod (not sure which one it is) used for pinion angle adjustment needs to be cut. This is something that I don't have a good way to do. Do you happen to know what the diameter, length, and thread pitch of the original item is, and what the length needs to be after cutting?
As shown, can this be used at stock height? Ideally, I'd install this before doing the suspension since I need to replace my stock rear UCA and am not running any lift at this time.
Are any modifications to the Iron Rock UCA required other than to the bolt?
Apologies for all of the questions, but I want to be sure that I have a solid game plan for this both before and after lifting.

Cutting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the end of the large adjustment Heim joint will allow you more adjustment on the pinion angle.
Anyone with a chop saw or metal band saw can cut a little of the the end of the Heim joint. It could even be done by hand with a hacksaw, but would take quite a looong time. :roll:

For a stock lift you may want to do this? On a lifted vehicle I don't believe it is really necessary, it actually decreases pinion angle which is a good thing.
My driveshaft is setting at 18 degrees, vehicle setting on a lift, suspension at full drop. As the suspension is depressed, pinion angle decreases.

As to the Iron Rock arm, it fits perfectly and requires no modifications. :roll:

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's/LED's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 183
WWDiesel wrote:
Cutting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the end of the large adjustment Heim joint will allow you more adjustment on the pinion angle.


*Smacks forehead* Oh, duh. It's a Heim joint. Don't know why I didn't spot that initially; it's plain as day in the photos. OK, now things make more sense.

Quote:
Anyone with a chop saw or metal band saw can cut a little of the the end of the Heim joint. It could even be done by hand with a hacksaw, but would take quite a looong time. :roll:


Yeah... I'd prefer to not go the hacksaw route :D Knowing what I'm looking at now makes it a lot clearer as to how I can approach it.

Quote:
For a stock lift you may want to do this? On a lifted vehicle I don't believe it is really necessary, it actually decreases pinion angle which is a good thing.


Possibly, but I'd rather just replace it once and be done with it. My OEM control arm boomerang is in need of replacement anyway, and I'd like to be able to keep the Iron Rock one on there after the lift (only planning on about 2") is on.

Quote:
As to the Iron Rock arm, it fits perfectly and requires no modifications. :roll:


Cool.

So what do you need from me to be able to send one my way? Don't think I can do anything about it until next month, but forewarned is forearmed.

_________________
2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4:
225/75R16 Goodyear TrailRunner ATs
Yeti's Stage 2 tune
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Stage 1 & 2 Weeks Kit
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco Intercooler Hoses
V6 Airbox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 3778
Location: Central GA
casm wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Cutting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the end of the large adjustment Heim joint will allow you more adjustment on the pinion angle.

*Smacks forehead* Oh, duh. It's a Heim joint. Don't know why I didn't spot that initially; it's plain as day in the photos. OK, now things make more sense.
Quote:
Anyone with a chop saw or metal band saw can cut a little of the the end of the Heim joint. It could even be done by hand with a hacksaw, but would take quite a looong time. :roll:

Yeah... I'd prefer to not go the hacksaw route :D Knowing what I'm looking at now makes it a lot clearer as to how I can approach it.
Quote:
For a stock lift you may want to do this? On a lifted vehicle I don't believe it is really necessary, it actually decreases pinion angle which is a good thing.

Possibly, but I'd rather just replace it once and be done with it. My OEM control arm boomerang is in need of replacement anyway, and I'd like to be able to keep the Iron Rock one on there after the lift (only planning on about 2") is on.
Quote:
As to the Iron Rock arm, it fits perfectly and requires no modifications. :roll:

Cool.
So what do you need from me to be able to send one my way? Don't think I can do anything about it until next month, but forewarned is forearmed.

The neat thing is with the Iron Rock Arm, if you lift later, you will have the ability to adjust the the Heim joint to whatever angle you desire.

PM sent.

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's/LED's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 am
Posts: 327
Now for the $1,000,000 question. Where does one get URETHANE bushings for the unibody side? I hate those stupid rubber bushings, and MOOG hasn't made any of their "problem solver" bushings for our boomerang. I have considered making my own, but my time is limited and experimenting with resins doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Anyone ever found a solution for the rear boomerang?

_________________
2006 Limited CRD: Frankenlift II, Fumoto Drain Plug, DIY Stage 1 Tune, In-Tank Lift Pump


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 3778
Location: Central GA
APC9199 wrote:
Now for the $1,000,000 question. Where does one get URETHANE bushings for the unibody side? I hate those stupid rubber bushings, and MOOG hasn't made any of their "problem solver" bushings for our boomerang. I have considered making my own, but my time is limited and experimenting with resins doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Anyone ever found a solution for the rear boomerang?

Have you looked at the Iron Rock control arm, it has some really stiff hard bushings, not like the soft mushy ones on the OEM arm. And I believe they are replaceable... :D

Image

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's/LED's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Boise, Idaho
Mine rides like stock on the street, and hasn't had so much as a single squeak. Very satisfied customer :rockon:

_________________
05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat, Ironrock trilink,OME lift, JBA UCA's, Moabs&245/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,Truetrac front,FFD fan,ARP's, new head,rockers, cams,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, Suncoast TC, welded EGR port & trans drain, muffler delete,
Mech fan, VH & AC delete,tensioner relocated
-CRD's being restored


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 pm
Posts: 251
I have a 4" JBA lift. I started with the JBA Y-adapter with the stock ball joint set up which came with my JBA lift. The Y-adapter came loose due to my lack of thread lock use. I replaced it with the JBA bolt on 4-link. That worked well, but got noisy after a year or less. I kept trying to figure out where the clunks were coming from, but I never figured it out. I just replaced the JBA 4-link with the IRO tri-link and WW's bracket. I had a lot of trouble getting everything to line up, probably from not having a level surface to work on, but I got it in. I did not need to trim the threads due to my 4" lift. I'm not sure my pinion angle is right, but no vibrations from 0-70 mph. I'll recheck the pinion angle when I get a free bay in my garage. I have plenty of adjustment in either direction for my pinion angle.

I'm sure this unit has less articulation than the JBA 4-link, but more than the stock unit with the spacer. It is quieter than my JBA 4-link was. I think I'll stay with it and sell my JBA 4-link.

_________________
JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com