It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel filter head replacement.
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 Liberty CRD. My wife was driving it yesterday taking our kids to school and it died on her. I got there and it would crank but not start. I tried to prime the fuel and noticed fuel leaking around the plug on the fuel filter head. Ok that one is junk, went to the local dealer and got the updated head and wiring harness this morning and installed the new head. Here is the problem now.

It wont start since changing the fuel filter head. New filter came with the head and wiring. I made sure the filter was tight and the drain on the bottom. Trimmed about and inch of hose off both lines and new clamps. I primed it and got as much air out of the bleeder that would come out. Primer finally got nice and hard. Went ahead and cracked all 4 injector lines and primed it until I had good fuel at all 4 injectors.

I cranked on it for a bit but no start. Went back to bleeding air at the head and had a small amount. Did the injectors again and had solid fuel and tried to start it. No start. I can prime it and wait 2 or 3 and the primer goes soft everytime.

This thing ran great until yesterday when the fuel filter head failed. The only thing I changed was the head and filter and now I have air getting in somewhere. Any help would be great guys.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fuel filter head replacement.
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Is the check engine light on?
Have you tried scanning for codes?
What’s the battery voltage?

It often takes a lot of cranking to start after a fuel filter change.
Keep bleeding and checking for air.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Is the check engine light on?
Have you tried scanning for codes?
What’s the battery voltage?

It often takes a lot of cranking to start after a fuel filter change.
Keep bleeding and checking for air.

Yes I had a C.E.L. p0093. Fuel leak code. I cleared it with my Snap on scanner and kept bleeding it until the battery was low.

The strange part is the primer looses all pressure after cranking it for a bit. I have the battery on a 10 amp charger since this morning should be back to 100% tomorrow then I'll try it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok quick update got it running today finally.

It was air locked between the filter housing and cp3 pump. The way I figured this out was I put 3/8 clear hose on both sides of the filter head to see if I had air coming from the tank or after the filter head. Noticed I wasnt getting any fuel out of the filter head while priming it. Strange!

Loosened the hose clamp on the engine side of the filter head and it pissed air and started filling the line. 3 time of burping the air I had a full fuel line. Cracked al 4 injector lines and primed it some more. Left the lines loose and cranked the engine and got all the air out.

It took a bit more cranking but it finally fired. Ran great and an idle after a few mins.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm 

If your having air in fuel issues, you really need to consider installing an intank lift fuel pump like many on this forum have done.
Lots of good information on the subject on LOST. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26385
Next to totally deleting or blocking off the EGR system, it is the second most popular mod for the Jeep Liberty CRD.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve