It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OLD NAVY: Tech Discussion of MAP Sensor/Boost Pressure S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cleaned my MAP here are a few pictures that might help someone locate the sensor. Picture with my hand is for sizing purposes ( for some reason I thought it would be much larger, maybe the camera zoom :ROTFL: ) Insane increase in power felt (MPG may go down due to cleaning your MAP makes your foot heavy) Turbo spools MUCH faster! Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Engine light came on and code indicated the IAT was the problem. Pulled the MAP and cleaned with carb cleaner. Didn't really look that bad, just a good coating of soot. Reinstalled and drove a few miles, engine light went out. Now the light is back on again with the same trouble code. Thinking it might be a bad sensor. Anyone know how to test the sensor and where can I find a replacement?

SEGR
GDE ECO Tune
Cherry Bomb glass pack muffler (sounds great)
TRANSGO Shift Kit
Full OEM skid plates + Boiler's radiator skid plate
Manik rock sliders and grill guard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What was the code?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know CRD drivers aren't the dyno type crowd you, but for those that were familiar w/ their CRD's performance before AND after cleaning the MAP can you describe any difference it made in performance? And if you are running a flash like GDE?

Exhaust: CAT DEL w/ Magnaflow PN12226
Wheels: Goodyear Eagle GT II P275/45/R20, Baccarat
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can feel a pretty good amount of power increase and it sounds a lot better, turbo whine a lot more noticeable. increased MPG alittle even with me driving it pretty hard because I love the sound. Sorry no exact numbers though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I cleaned mine for the first time in 60k. Here's what it looked like (I got goo... not caked).

I used Simple Green, hot water sprayer, dish soap, and a hair dryer. It was 30 minutes from the point where I picked up a tool till when I was road testing it. No CEL's or other indicators of an issue [read: limp mode]. I can't really speak to the performance increase as I only took around the back roads to make sure I didn't have any failures. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow during my commute to push and see if there's any difference.

UPDATE: Seems like I'm not pushing the go pedal down as much to get the power I need. That would be my impression after cleaning the MAP.

Exhaust: CAT DEL w/ Magnaflow PN12226
Wheels: Goodyear Eagle GT II P275/45/R20, Baccarat
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 am 
LOST Newbie

What a great site!

Learned about how to repair the alternator decoupler..now this..

My CRD started throwing the MIL; checked the codes P0069 and P0101..

I'm going to try the cleaning in this thread; I'll have to get some tools..I'm 750 miles from home. :(

125k miles..never cleaned this sensor or replaced an EGR valve..I guess I'm due.

I've also experienced "limp mode" for the first time this week..

Thanks All!

Tim

99 Wrangler: Auto; 4:11 gears; D44 Rear with Detroit Locker; D30 Front w/Detroit Truetrac; NP231 w/TerraLow 4:1 and 2Lo shift fork; Tom Wood SYE and HD Driveshaft; Currie Anti-Rock; Rockrawler X-Factor steering system and adjustable track bar; Skyjacker 2.5"; Warn 9000i; 235/85/16 Cooper STTs.

06 Liberty Limited CRD: Stock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 am 
LOST Newbie

I just joined guys and am doing all these mods. I just got an 05 Sport with 96K on it, runs well, I think....I had a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke so I'm not completely foreign to oil burners.

I already did the MAP sensor and it was caked with crud and oil. Blasted it with carb cleaner and dryed it, never found the washer.....

I took my inter cooler hoses off and they were filled with oil; I'm sure the inter cooler, intake and anywhere else the air goes has oil all over it. I washed out the hoses pretty well with very hot water and dish detergent, a ton of oil and crud came off. Is there a way to clean the inter cooler? I think I'll run Seafoam or Diesel Kleen through the fuel tank and see if it cleans the system some unless someone has a better suggestion?

Can I blast some cleaner into the intake with the Jeep running or is this really bad?

Next the EHM this afternoon. Next paycheck a chip, programmer, or ECM burn(any recommendations?) When it's warmer out a Catback system.

Any other places to clean besides the MAP, hoses, and doing the EHM?

Thank you in advance
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy Crush - welcome to LOST

I don't think anyone's cleaned either Intercooler or Intake while on the Jeep (and the intake's part of the head) - although for most folks - if you stop the oil and or the exhaust from dumping into the intake you'll generally stop the clogging, and the engine can deal with what's left.

and FYI - if you post in the CRD love that Torque section you tend to get more answers - Tech was intended for the fixes after they've been identified

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 pm 
LOST Member

New to "Lost..." today. Just bought 2005 CRD Limited with 90,600 miles. POs really did not care for truck with much TLC. Went from their home to tire store for 4 new feet and then to Jiffy Lube for new lubricants. Front and rear diffs, tranny, engine oil, and transfer case. All fluids looked pretty nasty. Had full detail inside and out, now I can drive without a can of Lysol handy. Next will come (tomorrow) MAP clean, ORM and EHM. Will also spend quality time pursuing this great site. Life membership on the way.

Truck will be a bass-boat puller and off roader for TX beaches chasing reds and drums in the surf.

For sure I wanted a CRD Liberty but I don't think I would have ever picked this truck, but it sort'a picked me. It was in my home town and the price was very good due to condition and history. I am hoping The CRD and I don't die a death of 10,000 pin pricks as all the worms call out this buggy. Runs good now, hope to have it running even better shortly. :P

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

drtydzel wrote:
Cleaned my map sensor the other day now my mileage went down to like 20 from 25 mpg do i need to do anything else to reset the computer or anything thanks in advance for the help im sitting at 49,500 miles.

Hello, I'm new to the boards and cleaned my map sensor this weekend. I was curious if anyone else noticed the MPG drop after cleaning theirs? I had the same thought about maybe the computer needs to be reset. The power gain was ridiculous for both of us though that's for sure.

My buddy cleaned his as well but hasn't had to much drive time since to help determine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

DarbyWalters wrote:
The ECM/PCM depends on the data coming from this dual sensor (AKA MAP Sensor but refered to as Boost Pressure Sensor in FSM) - both intake air temperature and air pressure are measured with this sensor. The ECM/PCM in turn uses this information to calculate how much fuel to inject into the cylinders - so this sensor has a direct relationship to the power, efficiency, fuel economy and soot output of the engine. The egr design is going to be an ongoing maintenance issue with this and any other egr equipped diesel. This soot will cause degraded sensor performance problems due to carbon buildup in the intake system and anything in its path negatively affected by soot and carbon buildup. It will also affect ring wear and engine longevity. I use chlorine free disk brake cleaner from the auto parts store to clean the sensor. That said I not sure if any cleaner we could buy at the parts store would harm the sensor seeing how "tuff" this thing has to be to work where it is located.

Ranger1's thinking is (I agree) with all that soot buildup, the ECM was using stored values, as temperature and boost couldn't possibly be measured correctly with that clogging. I'm deducing that on the temperature, the soot acted as an insulator, keeping the cold readings for too long on warmup, causing overfueling, and kept heat on the sensor once the engine was up to temperature, causing underfueling on longer trips.

This looks to be a 5000 mile/7500 kilometers cleaning job to have a proper running engine with current fuel. We can only hope ULSD may drastically change this for us.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. This is the sensor after removal, it requires a 4 mm allen wrench and I left the wiring attached in case I dropped the thing while removing. There is a tension washer under the screw and will require a magnet most likely to remove it from the manifold. Just lift the tab and pull the sensor off the warring harness. I didn't disconnect the battery before doing the cleaning, but I had no problem. However it might be wise to disconnect the cables to prevent any problems. One thing I did was remove the three holding nuts for the wiring harness to ease removal, but it is probably not necessary for most people.

2. This is where it pluggs into on the manifold.

3. This is a members sensor and it is solid crud.

4. This is the sensor from my CRD at 21,700 miles, and it was packed solid.

5. This is mine after cleaning.

Wow, good tip, glad I found this forum because the local dealer is really clueless!

At 88k the MAP was caked with crud.

Little dish soap and hot water and an old water pik and ...presto good as new!

Still have a engine light; hopefully my $49 AutoZone code reader will reveal the cause...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone,

I just read through each post in this thread. I noticed 2 people who posted that cleaning their MAP sensor caused a significant drop in fuel economy. Somehow, no one really responded to their question as to why this had happened and had others experienced the same thing?

I would like to clean my sensor on Jeep (80k miles, probably never done), but fuel economy is of utmost importance to me. While cleaning the sensor may increase the power, I have no issues with current level of power I get from my CRD so am leery of doing something which will increase power but reduce my coveted fuel efficiency. Can anyone comment on this, have you experienced increased fuel consumption after cleaning your MAP sensor?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any thoughts on where these lost washers go when we can't find them? What are the odds of one not being seen and falling into the intake? Probably not very likely?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:54 am 
LOST Newbie

cleaned my map today. I purchased Liberty with 80,000 mile on it. I'm now at 103,000 miles. MAP was surprisingly clean...just some dry black stuff & sensor was visible. There was no washer under the allen bolt, so possibly the MAP had been replaced b/4 I purchased the Liberty. EGR valve was also replaced shortly after the 80,000 mark.
Had timing belt service last month...belts. water pump, thermostat. idler pulleys, tensioners, Samco hoses. Should be good to go for a long time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:16 pm 
LOST Member

grsjax wrote:
Engine light came on and code indicated the IAT was the problem. Pulled the MAP and cleaned with carb cleaner. Didn't really look that bad, just a good coating of soot. Reinstalled and drove a few miles, engine light went out. Now the light is back on again with the same trouble code. Thinking it might be a bad sensor. Anyone know how to test the sensor and where can I find a replacement?

No one adressed this question someone must have had this problem. I'm having the same problem or very simular. I was doing the EHM and cleaned the MAP forgot to connect the MAP and started the engine to check things out. I saw the CEL and remembered that I didn't connect the MAP. Connected the MAP now the CEL won't go out. I drove it a few miles to see if the CEL would go out but no luck. Any Ideas?

Well the CEL cleared itself I guess it took alittle more time than I spent last night. The Wife drove to the store this morning and called me asking what I was talking about? It was gone.

Thanks

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

how come the pictures will not show can some one tell me where the map senor is located at i have a 07, 3.0 turbo boost is not working. need all the help i can get thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 am 
LOST Junkie

curry7500 wrote:
how come the pictures will not show can some one tell me where the map senor is located at i have a 07, 3.0 turbo boost is not working. need all the help i can get thanks

I can see the pictures....try going to the CRD..Love the Torque forum and go to SAMs Noob guide....he shows all the sensor locations with pictures...hopefully you can see those pictures.
The MAP sensor is located on top of the intake manifold, facing downwards....on your model there is only one Allen Head bolt holding it in place...there is a harness of cables in the way that makes it difficult to get to the sensor. :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

Map sensor screw size?

Mine was rounded when I found it and only got worse when I messed with it.

Jon

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm 
LOST Member

Got it out...cut a slot into the head with a Dremel cutting wheel and we were in business! Mine was dry sooty, but not horrible. I cleaned it and it runs fine. What benefits should I see after cleaning this? MPG increase or HP increase...or anything else?

Thanks,
Jon

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next