It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OLD NAVY: ORM ... Off Road Mod ...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Bill,

Ok so the pre 05 wouldn't have had the variable vane turbo then? What is the purpose of the turbo vanes? I blocked the
vacuum pipe as shown. I haven't had opportunity to hit the highway yet but can report significantly less turbo lag and 13L/100 IN TOWN. Best I could get before that was around 15L/100. This obviously only what the computer is telling me after about 60km of driving around today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:19 am 
LOST Junkie

dylan7495 wrote:
Hi Bill,

Ok so the pre 05 wouldn't have had the variable vane turbo then? What is the purpose of the turbo vanes? I blocked the
vacuum pipe as shown. I haven't had opportunity to hit the highway yet but can report significantly less turbo lag and 13L/100 IN TOWN. Best I could get before that was around 15L/100. This obviously only what the computer is telling me after about 60km of driving around today.

The variable vanes give a much better performance as it reduces turbo lag....the newer 2.8 CRDs have much more power.
Unfortunately we owners of the older CRDs cannot just bolt on a newer variable vane turbo as the ECU is completely different.
I am supprised you feel there is less turbo lag...I only find that it is better on the open road escpecially when going up long hills at about 120 kmh. I have the 2.5 CRD Sport, 5 speed manual so I do not have an onboard computer. I get about 10.5 L/100 km on a mix of mainly freeway driving with a bit of town driving....no stop/start traffic here in White River :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Aaah, so the vanes concentrate the exhaust gasses to keep get the turbo spinning sooner at lower rpm? That is how I understand what you have described. Stop start traffic is an everyday reality here in Centurion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Reading through this I have a few questions. First is the only reason for the mass air sensor to control the EGR? So if you did something like get a new performance program that shuts the EGR off could you just get rid of the mass air flow sensor all together? Where I'm going with this is then you could really open up the intake and get rid of the stock airbox for a more open element that actually flows more air.

Next question, by simply unplugging the mass air flow sensor the CEL comes on. I'm hearing reports of less smoke, better mileage, and more noise. This leads me to belive it's putting the computer into a "limp mode" in that it's probably reducing the amount of fuel being injected as well as advancing timing. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have a scan tool that can read mass fuel desired, and timing to see if it is cutting fuel and changing timing? The reduced amount of fuel being injected would be a likely reason for better mileage and less smoke. The EGR shouldn't be on when you nail the throttle from a dead start which is what leads me to belive this is more what's going on than that the EGR is on causing the smoke under normal conditions. Also the more "diesel" sound that's described is classic advanced timing. I guess all in all if it works it works but I'm wondering if there is more going on here than what people realize and that shutting it off via programming would be the better way to go.

Mine: '96 Ford F-250 PSD. Custom fuel system, big injectors, Big HPOP, Custom turbo, Billet Rods, Custom Pistons, Ported Heads, BTS Built Transmission, N²O. 12.6 @ 105 in the 1/4. 806hp on the dyno.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

just wanted to thank all those who put good advice on here , im in my second week of crd ownership, simply just drove it the first week with about 23 mpg. so over the weekend i started taking some of your advice, started with the no brainers , oil and air filter change, then i did the EHM, and the ORM and cleaned the MAF, really smothed things out like you said it would, will have to wait to check milage, i have orded a fuel filter and will change that when it comes in,

i do have a quick question on the orm mode and the cel coming on, i own a cheap harbour frieght scanner and it works well cancelling the light allowing it (the light) to come back on if something else happens. kind of a pain to start the engine twice everytime i go somewhere though so i can get the fault, inorder to cancell it. so my question is. is it ok to leave the scanner plugged in all the time, so i can omit one of the engine starts, i know i should not connect or disconnect the scanner with power to it, but not sure if it will cause any damage to anything if left plugged in. any help would be appreciated,

as time allows i will start checking all the turbo things as per your advice
2005 kj crd 74000 mile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:26 am 
LOST Newbie

So I am curious the ORM that is done, doesn't it affect turbo boost pressure? Since the EGR would in a way act as a vent for over boost wouldn’t blocking off the EGR cause your turbo to run boost with no added bleed off? Blocking the EGR system mechanically will negate the turbo over boost and turbo surge bleed function regardless if you block it near the intake manifold or next to exhaust manifold. The turbo bleed function is also part of the base software for protection in certain situations, this bleeds off excess air from intake out the exhaust.
Couldn’t this also cause the hoses of your turbo as well as the turbo to over pressurize causing failure even omitting the ridiculous ccv setup. (never had a vehicle with a turbo) Also if I'm not mistaken Wouldn’t the ORM when unplugging the MAF with the engine running be risking the possibility of a short?

(Side rant) I do believe that the EPA has totally screwed up a piece of tech that well worked for over a 100yrs. after refining it and well eventually disregarding “if it isn't broke don’t fix it.” The diesel engine in my VW was 90 mpg and my 1966 gas ram charger that runs on leaded and unleaded gets 25 mpg oh they pass emissions to per a exhaust gas analyzer they run better than cars on the road that are new. The jeep CRD should really get better mpg considering a 8,000 lb. Cummins can get the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

can you give me info on the SEGR, ORM, jeep CRD, ho can I contact to buy the kit, hambonecrd.,mhammond54@gmail.com

Post subject: OLD NAVY: ORM ... Off Road Mod ...
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi. Do you perhaps know if it is possible to buy this segr in south africa?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok I unplugged the MAF, drove vehicle, turned off, drove again, turned off, went to drive again, and the motor sputters and darn near stalls out hard... no matter how hard you mash the gas to the floor. I have tested this twice and it has happened the same way each time. It thows the cel light as expected but it doesn't run fine... and honestly not suprized by this... MAF sensors are typically used to measure flow to regulate injector pulse... Any advice/comments welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

BigJiggity wrote:
Ok I unplugged the MAF, drove vehicle, turned off, drove again, turned off, went to drive again, and the motor sputters and darn near stalls out hard... no matter how hard you mash the gas to the floor. I have tested this twice and it has happened the same way each time. It thows the cel light as expected but it doesn't run fine... and honestly not suprized by this... MAF sensors are typically used to measure flow to regulate injector pulse... Any advice/comments welcome.

It is my understanding that the MAF supports ONLY the EGR function, nothing else. It sounds like you have another issue, either air in the fuel filter head or loss of boost from a blown CAC hose, pre or post intercooler. Try purging the fuel filter head and checking your hoses for porosity, weeping oil and cracks. Also, it wouldn't hurt to clean the MAP sensor if you haven't done it already. It can lead to its own set of problems, but yours sounds too extreme for a MAP issue.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:05 am 

Aarav wrote:
Your inquiry about the ORM's impact on MPG, engine performance, and environmental effects is astute. The presence of the MAF sensor serves vital functions in managing the air-to-fuel ratio. Despite potential improvements, any modifications could trigger issues beyond a Check Engine Light.

FYI, you are posting to a post that is over 8 years old!

And you are mistaken about the MAF sensor on this engine!
Let me educate you; the MAF sensor on this engine/application is solely used only for operation of the EGR system and nothing else.
Unlike a gasser engine,
It has absolutely NO ]bearing or input into fuel management for engine operation.
The MAF sensor can be unplugged/disconnected and engine operation will be totally unaffected!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount