It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diff fluid
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi, can anyone tell me what diff fluid i need and quantity, for front diff, rear diff think this also needs an additive and what kind of fluid for the transfer case. Tried using the search function but with results unsure if they were for my model. Oh and is it just a matter of drain plugs and refill plugs or do i need too drop plates and buy new gaskets?
2004 KJ 2.8 CRD
Thankyou

Post subject: Re: Diff fluid
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:59 am 
LOST Junkie

Hi Jimmy - front diff is 75/90 gear oil - rear can be as well un less you do a lot of off-road or towing, in which case it's 75-140. Front is about 1.25L, rear about 2.25, but here is better info - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... _Intervals

This also tells you what you need for the transfer case.

If you have the TRac -loc, yes you need the Mopar additve - get it here
http://www.4playjeep.com/index.php?_a=v ... brandId=16

For the front - just open the filler plug and then the drain. The rear - if you have the standard 8.25 diff - you have to take the cover off. There is a gasket by Lubelocker, or you just use RTV after cleaning off the mating surfaces. You have to drop the plate for the front (I had to anyway) but there isn't one over the rear, and I think you have to drop a plate for the Tcase.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 am 
LOST Junkie

This topic should not actually be here in the "CRD TECH ONLY" section! :wink:

I am pretty sure that my rear diff took exactly 3 liters of oil....this after first putting in the Mopar Friction modifier.

My rear diff is the 4.10 Trac Loc....maybe that takes a different amount of oil....fill up until you can just feel the top of the oil at the filler hole. :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for replies , sorry for delay been away.
from build sheet this is what i have
REAR AXLE COPORATE 8.25
FRONT AXLE DANA 3/186MM
5 SPEED AUTO 545 RFE TRANSMISSION
SELEC TRAK
LOCK UP TORQUE CONVERTER

Does this info help in finding out if i need the Friction Modifier?
edit : just jacked up rear end and spun one wheel by hand , and other wheel goes same way ,am i right in thinking that i do indeed have LSD?
Double edit: i do tow my caravan about 5-6 times a year each trip is around 300 return trip would i be better off using the 75w/140 grade?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like you have the Tracloc, so you'll need the friction modifier. As for the towing, I'd stick the 75/140 in, just to be on the safe side.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Thankyou Lancer , your a star, hoping this sorts out the harsh noise when pulling out of tight junctions with lock on. Is it ok to put the friction modifier in the front diff as well or not bother ? Regards Jimmy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:42 am 
LOST Junkie

Don't bother for the front, just change the oil. The tracloc works ( unlike the Detroit trutrac) through a clutch, which is why you need the modifier. Some diff oils have a modifier "built in", but its fine to put the mopar stuff in anyway, the front just doesn't benefit from it, so its an (expensive) waste. Amsoil do a friction modifier as well, but I think its no cheaper than mopar. To the best of my knowledge, all KJs sold in the UK came with a tracloc diff - but I stand to be corrected on that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

cheers for info mate. Popped my head under jeep this afternoon and there is a rubber bung on rear diff plate do I assume this is the refill plug , seems like a weird way to seal the fill hole. I was expecting an Allen key bolt or similar. Is front a rubber bung didn't have time to jack car up for a good look . And I also saw one of your posts mentioning a recall on rear suspension arms , does that apply to UK as well , I've had the front ball joints done a whole ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Front fill plug is a 3/8"drive square hole, the drain is (I think) an 8mm allen; the rubber bung for the rear sounds right. As I (think) I said, you have to pop the rear cover off to drain!

Yep - recall on lower rear arms was Uk as well - my dealer actually emailed me to tell me about it! Check with Chrysler UK to see if yours is covered. Mine had tubular rear arms; the new ones are a beefier rectangular shape.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Cheers Lancer , front and rear diffs now done , worst bit was cleaning old sealant off the diff cover. Will look at doing a transfer box oil change next .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 am 
LOST Junkie

Make sure you get the fill plug out FIRST! I tried a couple of weeks ago and it wouldn't shift. A few people gave some helpful suggestions which I'll try when I get the Jeep back viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76326

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:40 am 
LOST Junkie

Cheers for your help Lancer , made a big difference , the rear diff is nice and quiet again. I shall venture underneath at weekend and see if I can shift the fill plug.
Edit noticed a bladdy leak from diff cover ,wizzed it off and not happy with the Hylomar sealant i used came of very easily and didnt take much cleaning off it doesnt set like the original rtv and surfaces were spotleess when i sealed it so god only knows
, had to re seal with same stuff and have ordered a paper gasket to dso it again in a couple of days.