It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: SAFETY WARNING: unplug your fuel heater element
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 am 
LOST Junkie

given that our (new to us) CRD Liberty has had what I would call 'spotty' maintenance, and came with no records, is there any way to determine whether the filter housing is original or has been replaced? Part numbers?

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 am 
LOST Member

I now am the proud owner, as of two weeks ago, of a '05 CRD. Just FYI, and this info is second hand from powerstroke nation. One of the supposed reasons the heater is in the powerstrokes is that when it is left unhooked, the fuel will start to leave a "wax" type coating on the components and eventually restrict them. Im sure some may be able to get away from leaving their heater unplugged, but there seems to be enough talk about it in other diesel truck forums that I would much rather spend the money and get an upgraded filter head with a heater element($200) instead of replacing injection pump and injectors($2000??) and thats parts only. Just thought i would share the info. Dont shoot the messanger.

my 2 cents,
Corey

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been going through my 2006 KJ CRD (Cleaned MAP/MAF sensors, replaced fuel filter *again*, and did the elephant hose modification due to the amount of tar built up on my sensors) because of a check engine light that I've had. Which is now reading a bad glow plug...I called our dealership and they wanted to charge me $1048.00 for four new plugs so I ordered the Etechno GX3123 from Italy and they will be shipped to me in Canada for under $200. Stoked. Hoping that will solve the CEL.

Now...back to this topic...I'm in Canada, it get's crazy cold and I'm worried about the fuel filter head. I've been checking it and the fuel filter heater connection looks great, but I think after reading through most of these posts I'm going to go ahead and order the new Mopar replacement and splice it in. You've all convinced me!

Thanks to everyone on here for all the great information!

Cheers from cold and snowy Saskatchewan.

Post subject: SAFETY WARNING: unplug your fuel heater element
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LMWatBullRun wrote:
given that our (new to us) CRD Liberty has had what I would call 'spotty' maintenance, and came with no records, is there any way to determine whether the filter housing is original or has been replaced? Part numbers?

The wires to the heater and to sensor both have to be spliced in (heater plug is slightly bigger too). I believe that the write-up is in the CRD Tech only section of the forum. However, I cannot navigate forum as well as a I used too. I've owned mine since new. With this forum, you can do most of the repairs and general maintenance yourself.
Good luck,
B2

GDE EcoTune w/ unl torque
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Tires
over 192,000+ miles
100k mile service performed
5V Glow Plugs Installed and ECM updated

Post subject: SAFETY WARNING: unplug your fuel heater element
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hucorey wrote:
I now am the proud owner, as of two weeks ago, of a '05 CRD. Just FYI, and this info is second hand from powerstroke nation. One of the supposed reasons the heater is in the powerstrokes is that when it is left unhooked, the fuel will start to leave a "wax" type coating on the components and eventually restrict them. Im sure some may be able to get away from leaving their heater unplugged, but there seems to be enough talk about it in other diesel truck forums that I would much rather spend the money and get an upgraded filter head with a heater element($200) instead of replacing injection pump and injectors($2000??) and thats parts only. Just thought i would share the info. Dont shoot the messanger.

my 2 cents,
Corey

The reason my fuel head was replaced was because I did not want my rig to catch fire. The male plug did that went into the receiver (female unit on the head) did show signs of heat and the plastic was mildly melted. I'm not sure of your wax issue, I've never had a problem.

Good luck,
B2

GDE EcoTune w/ unl torque
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Tires
over 192,000+ miles
100k mile service performed
5V Glow Plugs Installed and ECM updated

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just to get it out there on the 2n gen fuel filter head all the ones I've seen the new heater element plug is bright blue. The wiring pigtail colors don't match the OEM wiring; just hook the wires up based on size and you will be fine.

Part #s and pictures are in the first post, scroll down a bit, on Sir Sam's NOOB guide.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:23 am 
LOST Junkie

Just a reminder to check this if you still have the original fuel head. It took 8 years, but mine started to melt slightly at the plug. Already had a 2nd gen head ready to go.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've academically gone though this whole thread but still feel the need to seek advice.

My second CRD, just recently purchased, has 160,000miles on it. I just added an in-tank lift pump and used a custom harness from ID Parts (excellent t by the way). The pump seems to function fine. After the first drive a noticed a burning smell and found d this fuel heater plug had burned badly and now leaks a lot of fuel.
I should have had it unplugged from the start. I will be replacing it and I understand all that.
What I'm curious of is if this was mere coincidence or if the in tank pump caused this failure?
Is the pump running wrong? / Too much pressurve?

-dual battery set-up
-EGR, FCV delete. YETI tune
-HDS thermostat
-Trans Cooler
-Lots of rust

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:10 pm 

Not too much pressure; but by adding the in-tank lift pump any leak that use to allow air to be sucked in, now will puke diesel fuel out that leak.
The plug-in for the fuel heater on the fuel filter head is a common problem and the factory actually issued a service bulletin about this problem.
The correct fix is to replace the fuel filter head with what is called a generation 2 filter head that has been redesigned to address the leaking plug connector.

But you really did the right thing by adding a in-tank lift pump! Now any leaks are self evident and easily found so they can be repaired...
And no more air in fuel worries and the Jeep will run and perform better by having the in-tank pump installed...

ps: lots of locations sell the second generation fuel head, just Google it! :google:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Not too much pressure; but by adding the in-tank lift pump any leak that use to allow air to be sucked in, now will puke diesel fuel out that leak.
The plug-in for the fuel heater on the fuel filter head is a common problem and the factory actually issued a service bulletin about this problem.
The correct fix is to replace the fuel filter head with what is called a generation 2 filter head that has been redesigned to address the leaking plug connector.

But you really did the right thing by adding a in-tank lift pump! Now any leaks are self evident and easily found so they can be repaired...
And no more air in fuel worries and the Jeep will run and perform better by having the in-tank pump installed...

ps: lots of locations sell the second generation fuel head, just Google it! :google:

:SOMBRERO:

Great thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently had to replace my fuel head because where the bleeder valve threaded in, it had a hairline crack that sheared off. So i had to buy a whole new head. Since they only sell the complete kit: filter, new wiring harness, heating head and fuel head I have a bunch of extra parts because it appears the wiring had already been upgraded by a previous owner. So if anyone's interested I have:

New wiring harness, fuel filter and the heating element portion of the fuel head I will sell...likely dirt cheap since I don't have high hopes for being able to unload it. Full disclosure, I had written 193,500 on the fuel filter I had bought. Since the new assembly came all put together, I didn't see the need to uninstall the Mopar fuel filter to put on the one I was installing before I discovered fuel head was bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey, how can i tell if it's been replaced or not? I just bought a used CRD and am trying to see what the previous owner has done and hasn't done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:02 pm 

Tristantja wrote:
Hey, how can i tell if it's been replaced or not? I just bought a used CRD and am trying to see what the previous owner has done and hasn't done.
Easiest way to tell:
Has the OEM fuel heater plug/wiring harness been modified/replaced? Harness cut and new connector wired in place of the OEM connector?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13