It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: SAFETY WARNING: unplug your fuel heater element
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 am 
LOST Junkie

I think that it is time to make this a safety recommendation. The evidence is building that this is a huge potential safety hazard. The consequences of unplugging the fuel heater element are minimal, especially in temperate climates.

Problem: Fuel heater element may short and cause fires. Due to the design of the fuel system (negative pressure, poor seals, etc), air innevitably collects in the top of the fuel filter, the highest point in the fuel lines. The Fuel Heater element is also located at the top of the fuel filter head, so it is often exposed in air and can overheat. This element is not sensor controlled, but is materially designed to shut off at cetain temperatures. Also, the electrical connections may cause a short under these conditions. In any case, many pugs and elements have been show burned or shorted out. These sparks could cause fires.

Solution: The immediate fix is to unplug the fuel heater element. There are two electrical plugs located on the fuel filter heat, the heater element is the one located on the driver's side. Be sure to inspect the plug on removal for signs of shorting or listen for air leaks. If there is any sign of leaks or shorts, seek service. Other, non OEM solutions do exist.

If others dissagree or feel that this post is alarmist, feel free to comment or remove it. However, the very serious potential consequences certainly outway the simple fix.

Picture of burned out plug:
Suspicous fire pic (with suspicously missing Filter head) that may be related to this issue:
https://www.iaai-bid.com/getimage.aspx?imagetype=0&imageid=31411018

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is removal of the fuse sufficient to deactivate the heater element?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And it is always a great idea to mount a Fire Bottle in a Jeep... :idea:

I wonder if we should get the housing from the Euro Fuel Filter Heads...

I don't think it even has the notorious heater solenoid...someone said it might be a Racor unit.

The fact that we KNOW there is a leak issue with the filter head...mine was replaced at around 6,000 miles with bubbles coming out the fitting...it is at the very least something to consider

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:53 pm 
LOST Member

Its a Racor 200 series. More than likely a 245R/45gph. The OEM version MIGHT have a removable metal bowl at the bottom of the filter but the standard from Racor is clear plastic. Also in the bowl is a 200w heater+water probe as an option. I would bet the Euro OEM Racor has the H2O probe and the heater. The larger white knob is the primer pump.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Funny, my heater sensor does not have the small "pin" your shows :?:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

DarbyWalters wrote:
Funny, my heater sensor does not have the small "pin" your shows :?:

That "Pin" is part of the burned-out heater element that came out with the plug from the burned-out wall of the now porous filter head! I heard a gush of air when I pulled this thing. You can see scorching...a sign that some spark had occured in close proximity to fuel. There ave also been other pics of dis-assembed filter heads where scorching coudl be seen on the inside from the burned out element.

Not good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just had my son check his, on the seawall at Galveston - the CRD was member Boxhead's, so it was well maintained - the connector plug is pristine yellow, no sign of problems, but I had him secure the heater-supply connector away from the heater - wierd they woulda used thermoplastic casting on something like that - however, you're right: it is the easily-formed air pocket that likely is the real problem - pic above is a Racor, and you can see the plastic sight-bowl under the filter element - got one of those on my GMC 6.5, also one to install on my Dodge, both with the primer bulb - they have optional heater element, also WIF sensor - think I might put that on the CRD 'stead of the Dodge, now that I've seen this - wonder how DC will react to that, vis-a-vis the warranty?

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject: Yet another bad filter head
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:31 pm 
LOST Member

I changed my fuel filter today and hadn't re-attached the electrical connections before priming the filter.......bubbles and fuel started coming out of the connection that you showed in your photo. The connection also showed the same discoloration as yours.

Back to the dealer for that and the stupid wheel speed sensors that keep going bad.

Gary

Post subject: Re: Yet another bad filter head
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

PhoenixCRD wrote:
I changed my fuel filter today and hadn't re-attached the electrical connections before priming the filter.......bubbles and fuel started coming out of the connection that you showed in your photo. The connection also showed the same discoloration as yours.

Back to the dealer for that and the stupid wheel speed sensors that keep going bad.

Gary

Gary:

Be careful driving the Jeep now. A TON of air can get in there and disable your vehicle. Easiest patch to get it to the stealer is to plug it back in. I know, I know, but it probably won't go boom. Cut a wire, they are going to have to replace the plug connector head anyway. I tried using different caulk etc and never got as good a seal as plugging that back in. I had to drive around for a week before they could fit me in. Purge every time before you start.

Good Luck and give them Heck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well mine is unplugged and capped, has been for months. I run additive all winter and seal off the
front with grill flaps, I don't anticipate any issues, never did with any of the VW TDI's even though they have
a T fitting to route the fuel back to the tank, but no heater. So until this is either fixed with a recall, mine
stays unplugged. Cat Filter is working great, so I plan no more mods in this area.

Tal & Hadas Grill Guard/TransGo Shift Kit
V-6 AirBox/Lunar Boost & EGT
Lund Cold Weather Grill Insert
OEM updated Filter Head, Cummins Lift Pump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That weatherpak electrical plug doesn't prevent air from entering the fuel filter head, nor does it prevent fuel leaking from the head - the name gives it away - weatherpak - it is to prevent moisture from entering the electrical connection

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I had wondered if I needed to go to the extent I did - replacing my factory fuel head with a Stanadyne - as the New Holland filter was working well, I didn't have any leaks, my heater had been unplugged for some months, and the lift pump had eliminated my air problems.

But the more I looked at that factory fuel head, the more the feeling grew in the back of my mind that it was best to be rid of it once and for all. And now that the worst case has actually happened - someone's CRD burnt to a crisp - there's no longer any doubt in my mind I made the right call in doing a complete swapout.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject: Re: SAFETY WARNING: unplug your fuel heater element
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
I think that it is time to make this a safety recommendation. The evidence is building that this is a huge potential safety hazard. The consequences of unplugging the fuel heater element are minimal, especially in temperate climates.

Problem: Fuel heater element may short and cause fires. Due to the design of the fuel system (negative pressure, poor seals, etc), air innevitably collects in the top of the fuel filter, the highest point in the fuel lines. The Fuel Heater element is also located at the top of the fuel filter head, so it is often exposed in air and can overheat. This element is not sensor controlled, but is materially designed to shut off at cetain temperatures. Also, the electrical connections may cause a short under these conditions. In any case, many pugs and elements have been show burned or shorted out. These sparks could cause fires.

Solution: The immediate fix is to unplug the fuel heater element. There are two electrical plugs located on the fuel filter heat, the heater element is the one located on the driver's side. Be sure to inspect the plug on removal for signs of shorting or listen for air leaks. If there is any sign of leaks or shorts, seek service. Other, non OEM solutions do exist.

If others dissagree or feel that this post is alarmist, feel free to comment or remove it. However, the very serious potential consequences certainly outway the simple fix.

Picture of burned out plug:
Suspicous fire pic (with suspicously missing Filter head) that may be related to this issue:
https://www.iaai-bid.com/getimage.aspx?imagetype=0&imageid=31411018

so since im a dunce where exactly is this plug, can you zoom out on the engine compartment?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject: Re: SAFETY WARNING: unplug your fuel heater element
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

0311_DoC wrote:

so since im a dunce where exactly is this plug, can you zoom out on the engine compartment?

The fuel filter is on the drivers side firewall just in front of the steering wheel but under the hood side. From in front of the jeep looking back the picture shows the two plugs. The heater is the one on the right.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bill.Barg wrote:

Bill,

It is on a relay and it shares the circuit with the glow plugs so you would need to cut it. I unpluged mine today after seeing the burned CRD. Mine is clean and dry with no scorch marks but I will keep it unplugged until the recall.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cowcatcher wrote:
Bill.Barg wrote:

Bill,

It is on a relay and it shares the circuit with the glow plugs so you would need to cut it. I unpluged mine today after seeing the burned CRD. Mine is clean and dry with no scorch marks but I will keep it unplugged until the recall.

so what are we unplugging exactly? what does it affect once its unplugged?

Post subject: Fuel heater and glow plugs on same fuse.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"It is on a relay and it shares the circuit with the glow plugs so you would need to cut it. I unpluged mine today after seeing the burned CRD. Mine is clean and dry with no scorch marks but I will keep it unplugged until the recall"

Thanks Dave....

Post subject: ok better pics :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ok is this the right one? I know its a lil fuzzy from my camera phone. *** took some pics from regular camera as well...***

Last edited by 0311_DoC on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes it is...very artistic photography...gotta get the finger off the lens tho :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DarbyWalters wrote:
Yes it is...very artistic photography...gotta get the finger off the lens tho :lol:

well let me tell you it was tricky getting my camera down in there :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next