It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to fix constantly blowing rear tail lights
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:38 am 
LOST Junkie

I replaced several brake light bulbs on the drivers side of my Jeep before I realized what was causing them to not only burn out, but also break open. I replaced the screw-in bulb socket, and I even went through all of the wiring. It was a waste of time!

The real problem is that there is an internal plastic lens inside the tail light that breaks free and falls down onto the bulb once you reinstall the entire tail light to the Jeep. The light melts the plastic lens and then blows up. I never realized it because I always left the wires attached to the tail light and replaced the bulb.

So to fix the problem I tried to break the loose lens into pieces to pull out; I was unsuccessful as the plastic was pretty strong. So I worked the lens back into place and I used Gorilla Glue. I made bit of a mess inside because I didn't realize how much gorilla glue expands, but it worked. I dripped the glue into the corners and the lens is now out of the way.

Good luck.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner