It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SCANTOOL\DASH MONITOR FUNCTIONALITY
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This thread is intended for documenting your scantool\dash monitor functions - ScanguageII, EdgeScan, SuperChips, VagCom, Autoenginuity, etc - list'em and document'em here in this thread
Thread purpose is to determine what causes the erratic quirks in the CRD KJ powertrain by documenting the operational quirks of the various scanners, and any scanner-related quirks in the powertrain.

So -

- what are it's functions: does it scan\read only; does it command; does it reset CEL\DTC
- does it do enhanced OBD2
- does it do CAN (2004 up)
- do the documented functions work as spec'ed
- have you found any undocumented functions with the CRD
- does it have or cause any communication problems
- does it cause some strange symptom, such as CEL\DTC
- any unusual scantool symptoms when driving
- any unusual powertrain symptoms when driving

If you post, then need to add further input later, please edit your original post in order to focus all data for your scantool\vehicle on that one page
If another member documents any function and you have the same scanner, post your functions, even if it appears to duplicate his functionality - this will help determine if operational quirks are scanner-related, or vehicle-related - or user-rel....never mind!

Thanks
the mis-management

***********************************************************************************************
Later, Jul 08 -
Today, using the latest upgrade of AE, I noted many DTC's stored in the ABS module, at least as many as resulted glitches from SGII - also at least as many from all wheel speed sensors, none of which resulted in ABS Brake error indicator, and none of which were detectable by SGII in the DTC clear-mode - it would appear that the ABS module updates the system at random, which all the XCM's in the intranet are expecting - however, that rascally rapscallion SGII, being merely a peeping tom, is unaware of the situation and thus gets caught time and again due to buss contention - even more incriminating is that the slower you down SGII and the fewer the requested data points displayed, the fewer the incidents, as reported by several members - more to come..................

And, confirmed: the proof is in the pudding - or, in the putting, as it were - in short, and to wit, a trip without SGII connected elicits no DTC from the TEVES ABS module - same trip with SGII connected results in many DTC's incl wheel speed sensor fail - don't put the SGII on, all ok - put it on and merry hell breaks loose - the proof is in the putting - now, who do we know at SGII that could put this information to good use for a new firmware revision?

http://www.harborfreight.com/autel-maxi ... 62385.html

JAN 2015
AUTEL MaxiDAS-700 - Hold off on this one

Preliminary trial:

- no selection for KJ CRD
- didn't scan KJ when '05 selected
- did scan when KJ '06 selected
- didn't scan overall system
- did scan ECM DTC
- did scan ECM live parameters
- didn't scan ABS
- have not yet tried TCM
- have not tried BCM, others
- will try all again when dry outside

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: VAG-COM HEX+CAN rs232 serial
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Vag-Com Beta 803.3 with interface HEX+CAN rs232 serial Version 702 software also workes. Will not work with their OPTO interface and or "freeware" :shock: version"

Running in "Generic obdII mode"
Option 9, vehicle information, shows two controlers with the addresses of 12 and 41
Address 12 Corrieponds with the information on my ECM's tag
Address 41 Corresponds with the information on my TCM's tag but shows one rev newer
Also gives a 8 digit "verification" number for each controler.
The read data function gives MAP, rpm, % of load, TPS, RPM Temperature, Speed and more I'll add later
If there is a fault like for the MAF :lol: I also get "unable to communicate with ABS controler" error but both will clear.
Error codes are given by name.
Last time I should have gotten a "low fuel (non Evic) I got a "tire low" message instead. Refueling shut it off. I think the BCM was confused.
Road testing results to follow. I did test it once and it quit responding.

Post subject: Scanguage II
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:55 am 
LOST Member

Scanguage II
Will update info as use continues.
Version 3.15.

Monitors (standard) selectable from load, throttle position, voltage, MAP, water temp, RPM, speed and some more.
Some standard monitors cease to receive data or stop, possibly Scanguage problem, or data not being sent from Control modules. I have a ? mark on stability of Comunication on vehicle.
SGII Has XGUAGE function to allow programming of commands to send and math to intrepret the return, I dont know any to send yet. Could be used possibly to send learned data resets but I dont yet know the codes.
Allows clearing of fault codes, my primary use at this time.
(MORE TO COME)

2.5 inch full flow muffler.
Fuel Heater Disconnected.
In tank lift pump :)
Provent :)
Boost, EGT and Trans temp.
Engine Bay Vents soon.
Transgo Valve body (no resistor) :)
Hemi TC P04736587AC replaced (original TC P04736582AD in '07 KJ CRD) - Nice -:) :) :)

If im not here Im there....

Post subject: Scanguage II experience
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have had mine for a few days now and it definitely has some glitches, but when it works I'm more than pleased. Seems to lose communication occasionally. LOD, MPH, water temp, air temp, MAP are some that will stop working. Usually those just stop giving an output. I have seen some get stuck at a value. The RPM guage always works. If it loses communication or whatever, I can turn off the engine and crank it back up get it going again. Unplugging it and re-plugging it does not work to fix problem. Trip functions work, but stop when communication is lost. This sucks b/c I want to track MPG. GPH usually works. This problem first occured while changing guages a lot when I first got it. If I get it set up and don't change any guages, it seems to be more stable.
I will post more when I have more experience!

Post subject: Equus CAN OBD2 SCAN TOOL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Equus CanOBD2(R) Scan Tool: I purchased yesterday to see what my computer was doing after my check engine light came on with the SEGR installed.

It read immediately with EGR not opening all the way and MAF Sensor. I believe these were old codes stored in the system prior to installing the SEGR so, I'll wait and see if either of them come back.

The tool works awesome, is quick and easy. Once I deleted the codes, I drove around with the scanner plugged in, and once the On Board Computer ran through all of its diagnostic checks (with the SEGR installed) and all checked out perfect.

I was thinking about getting one of the less expensive versions, but reading about limited success of others, I think I'll stick with this one.

BFG ALL TERAIN RADIAL T/A 245/70/16s
Pro Comp Series 7089 wheels
Factory Light Bar
Magna Flow straight through muffler
SEGR
Equus CanOBD2(R) Scan Tool

Post subject: Innove 3160 ABS+Scan Tool Can OBD2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Innova 3160 It can scan, read, reset codes, does OBD2 and CAN, it is able to read ABS codes with ease on the CRD, Some times it loses connection and will not clear a code the first time because of it, but it will eventually. I don't use it while driving, it does record live data, during use and at the time of a DTC.

I have a P0610 that cant be cleared, but this is a tough one, even GDE could not clear it during a reflash, said only the dealer could do this.

It is supposed to be able to read the TCM, but I have never made the connection successfully.

Post subject: Re: SCANTOOL\DASH MONITOR FUNCTIONALITY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have been running a BullyDog WatchDog for about a year - with mixed results.

Installed for multigauge display with pyro - connects Kline1979
Pyro 1
Boost
MAF
Coolant
Fuel Usage
Fuel Pressure
Pyro 2 for Transmission upcoming

Different software updates have improved/gimped performance over the months, as it has not been truly "beta'd" for the CRD yet. Overall, happy with what I get, although will drop most sensors after 20mins of driving, except active Pyro which I never lose.

265/70/17 MT Baja MTZs ~ Sliders & Skids
2.5" Magnaflow ~ UN-EGR'd ~ EHM ~ FuMoto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

GoPoint GL1 and the free app work well, has cleared any of the codes I've ran into and reads real a lot of real time parameters including fuel rail pressure and intake temp / pressure. Values are listed in inHg so you'll have to convert them, and can be a little buggy, but it works for $100. I have used it on several other vehicles including some Mercedes and all the other ones worked very well and weren't buggy.. go figure. For the price and functionality I give it ****. Five if it would log data without a seperate $50 app.

Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5
EU TC
Hankook ATm's (245's)
Factory Crap Catcher Floor Mats

Sold 05/11.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been using the android app "torque" paired with a obdII bluetooth dongle.

works flawless. boost, egt, volt and coolant temp all in realtime on a 4.5" display (my phone).
no issues with the ecm. I drive with it on all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

secondechomatt wrote:
I have been using the android app "torque" paired with a obdII bluetooth dongle.

works flawless. boost, egt, volt and coolant temp all in realtime on a 4.5" display (my phone).

can it reset the CEL?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
secondechomatt

Driving your vehicle, which I am assuming is either a Jeep or a Chrysler product, with any obd2 scan tool connected and working (retrieving data) for extended periods is a very bad idea. Here is why; the most common protocol of these vehicles is the 9141 (which became the ISO 14230) and it transmits data at 9600 baud. That data speed can be tweaked upward to as much as 57,600 with the right tool and software combination...but even at 9600 baud the PCM in those vehicles operates too slowly to handle the extra data functions continuously. I have observed this quite frequently on extended test drives that the HO2S B1S1 would get sluggish..not from normal operations...but from a lack of processing capability which kept it too long in either lean or rich. When this happened, I would take an infrared temp of the Cat and it was definitely overheating.

For those of you that have other data problems, remember the SAE specified data speed and it can explain many of your issues.

To Dustin23: yes, the Torque application is supposed to be capable of clearing DTCs, according to Ian the developer. I have not yet personally tested the Torque application yet, but I would exercise caution on keeping ANY scan tool plugged in and working for extended periods of normal operation.

cheers,

http://straighttalkautomotive.com/tools/generic/scan_tool_bluetooth.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 pm 
LOST Member

I just got my OBDII Scan tool directly from Hong Kong http://obdiitools.com - Hadn't had a chance to try it yet, but I did find what appears to be an informative forum y'all might wish to check out http://torque-bhp.com/forums/
Here is a super cool dash mod from that second site Image
Boy Howdy, now that's what I'm talkin about

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:10 pm 
LOST Member

I know that the StarScan that the dealer uses can read the TCM on our CRD's. Are there any others that can also read the TCM?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:08 am 
LOST Newbie

I saw Autoenginuity mentioned in the initial post but noone saying if it works or not. I have it for my Ford and am thinking about getting the Chrysler package for it but don't want to pop the coin for it until I know it works.

Thanks!

Mine: '96 Ford F-250 PSD. Custom fuel system, big injectors, Big HPOP, Custom turbo, Billet Rods, Custom Pistons, Ported Heads, BTS Built Transmission, N²O. 12.6 @ 105 in the 1/4. 806hp on the dyno.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:20 pm 
LOST Member

I have the latest version Autoenginuity (updated-@ end of 2013). Happy with it but I don't drive with it on unless I'm doing actual datalogging and diagnostics. It will do more but I am still learning how to go about his complex and capable bit of kit on a needs be basis.
AE causes no corruption of my car ECU at any time I have used it nor any other modules.
I find it totally reliable - the Fully enhanced version reads all the modules - on the KJ 05 & 06 CRD.
The modules it indicates that it can communicate with are:
Antilock brake System;
Body Control Module;
CD changer/DVD Player;
Enhanced Powertrain; & of course Generic Powertrain;
Instrument cluster;
Occupant Classification Module;
Overhead console;
Transmission Control module;
Wireless control module.
I am still learning how far it will go but this does not upset any part of my system comms, with data logging possible for extended periods and playback after the trip is stopped feasible allowing safe viewing of recorded data.

I also purchased the extension cabling so you can excercise and monitor sensors whilst at the engine bay but you need to be very aware of the parameter limits. I haven't had cause to do much of this but knowing I have that capability is reassuring.
I haven't had to yet but I understand I can excercise the ABS module if a major brake bleed is done (ie the system opened).

It allows you to watch particular sensors with duty cycle monitored. A simplistic example is if rpm is to be monitored for slight misfire or deviation it is possible to make full scale spread to 4000 rpm so hunting and other sensors can be observed. It allows long-term monitoring and playback after the journey so you do not need a co-pilot to watch it. You can sit and monitor sensor behaviours at rest back at base.

It does not lose the bus and that is the critical thing.
It reads sufficiently deeply.
I quite like it but it may be a bit complex or probe too deeply for some.
I'm not probing this thing with the AE's full capacity unless I need to. Jeep ain't broken yet. Phew!!!

I have never had a NO BUS message when using the AE for Datalogging or any other long term monitoring when logging to try to create an error message making it repeatable.

It generally reads in ISO 9141 as most of the time this is the first code that is encountered but can be forced to read CAN 11 bit and 29 bit and 1850 VPW and others if required. It can also be used for other vehicles if you are buying second hand but depth of interrogation will depend upon what level of software you have for that model - otherwise it will probe most models (except the difficult European ones needing special adaptors) but if you have that you will be able to check the generic health of the vehicle drivetrain.

It will datalog and dialog with each each sensor that can be accessed and that can be put on a graph (one at a time and the scales can be "stretched" to show glitches with unlimited logging of live data and test results. I have an extra long cable that allows me to activate components while I have my head under the hood to monitor the physical changes the actuation causes. It also allows data to be presented as:
meter
graph
grid formats.
Units can be changed on the go as can scaling.

It also runs another datalogging track monitoring programme called Speedtracer which is also useful allowing monitoring of performance parameters including boost P G forces speed vs time graphing & more. This is useful - an example for when I do actually get the GDE tune I will not be driving by seat of the pants feel it will be measured -so I can compare pefore to after in measured terms.

This thing will do considerably more than this but I am still learning what it is actually capable of.

Last edited by Auberon on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys, I have an Autel MS310, it does pretty much all the basics working with reading and clearing DTCs, live data, vehicle info and CAN. The only issue I have encountered is that after you plug it and turn the ignition to on (engine not running) it triggers the MIL, the ESP and the ABS light, showing also the code U0002. At first I freaked out, thinking that they were real symptoms but, after clearing the code and restarting the vehicle, everything went back to normal. I tried it a second time in the same condition and the previously mentioned behavior was perfectly replicated. If you guys are using this device, I would recommend to plug it and crank the engine right away, this way you won't be fooled by the U0002 and the 3 lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:19 am 
LOST Junkie

secondechomatt wrote:

Which dongle? Can you post a link?

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:44 am 
LOST Member

Am continually running UltraGauge as a feedback device. Only interrupts I get are the UltraGauge shutting down if it gets hot (cabin temp - it has an inbuilt protection against oherheating so the Liquid crystal screen doesn't die due to heat exposure as I understand it.)
I get regular reporting of:

Fuel Rail Pressure
IAT
Coolant temp
MAP
KPH
RPM (accurately reported) - you can pick hunting if air present in fuel head as an example.
MAF in g/s

I run a number of these on each screen to keep the picture complete.
It can display 8 bits of information on each screen but I choose to keep them rolling
This is the set of data I've settled on displayed in various changing zones on the screens - as it rolls through various screens the respective data is more prominently displayed so its easier to see whilst driving. Some (limited) other data is available but I don't currently have a need for it and you need to change (force it) between ISO9141 and 1850VPW to access different data sets in our vehicles with this gauge. That is something I find particularly interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Auberon wrote:
Am continually running UltraGauge as a feedback device. Only interrupts I get are the UltraGauge shutting down if it gets hot (cabin temp - it has an inbuilt protection against oherheating so the Liquid crystal screen doesn't die due to heat exposure as I understand it.)
I get regular reporting of:

Fuel Rail Pressure
IAT
Coolant temp
MAP
KPH
RPM (accurately reported) - you can pick hunting if air present in fuel head as an example.
MAF in g/s
... Some (limited) other data is available but I don't currently have a need for it and you need to change (force it) between ISO9141 and 1850VPW to access different data sets in our vehicles with this gauge. That is something I find particularly interesting.

Hey, Auberon, I'm waiting for my Ultragauge to arrive... I noticed you use it but say that some gauges need the protocol forced. Does it give details in the manual? I chasing the basic sets you use, but would also like it to keep a check on my fuel/distances/economy. Any info would be appreciated. (You've already been very helpful re the info you sent me on your AE software, thanks for that!) Your experience with our KJ's and related issues is much appreciated mate, thanks! Up here west of Brisbane, I seem to be on my lonesome when it comes to tinkering. I'm following with interest the thread on diy tuning with MPPS on this site... Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

don't use bullydog monitor . I actually had it on my 06 cummins but it says its compatible with all 02 and up. it freezes, some gauges just stop working, and this week my tranny kicked back out of overdrive at 75mph which some of the guys are saying is caused by this being plugged in.

2640 JD
02 Chevy 2500HD 8.1L 496
64 Chevelle project
Kubota diesel mower
5.9 Cummins