It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECM PERFORMANCE REFLASH: INMOTION and similar when available
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This thread is to document your experiences with your ECM that has been reprogrammed for performance increase - not to be confused with the add-on power modules (EDGE\equiv) that merely offset fuel or\and pressure inputs for more power.

Post your experience, even if it duplicates another member's experience - gives you a venue if\when your later experiences differ

Post your initial reflash, any dealer deflash due to warranty service, and subsequent performance reflash information - Inmotion offers free lifetime reflash after any unfortunate visit to the dealer

Again, if you post then have later input, please EDIT your original post to include the later information - keeps all data relevent to your vehicle in one spot.

Thanks
ykw

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject: InMotion Dyno Results
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 pm 
LOST Addict

2005 CRD Ltd, 36K miles. I received my OEM ECU back from InMotion on Wens along with a "clone" ECU with their "StageII" programming. I drove the Jeep for 3 days with the modified ECU in place in order for it to have an opportunity to "optimize" itself and then headed to my local DynoJet chassis dyno center late today.

We made the runs on the InMotion ECU first, in order to give it every opportunity to "show" as well as possible, then put in the OEM ECU and repeated. The Jeep was run with OD off (required to be 1-to-1) and careful, consistent throttle technique was utilized to avoid disruptive shifts of the AT.

We were able to obtain almost identical results on several consecutive runs in each configuration. This makes the differential obtained between the ECUs have a high level of validity.

Please do not pay any attention to the ABSOLUTE numbers (too many variables). The only relevant numbers as far as I am concerned are the differences between the 2 ECUs in immediate, back-to-back testing under identical conditions.

Verdict: Stock 2005 ECU: Max HP 144.6 @ 3250 RPM Max Torque: 250.6 @ 2600 RPM

InMotion ECU: Max HP 170.7 @ 3400 RPM Max Torque: 303.9 @ 2750 RPM

(Keep in mind that the OEM ECU was not given any opportunity to "optomize", so the actual differences may be even less.)

Now, for those people who are getting all hopped up about the "absolute" numbers:

In particular, why are all the torque numbers so low? My understanding is that these motors make max torque at about 1800 rpm. Because of the characteristics of the AT and the DynoJet, it is just not possible to make effective runs in that RPM range. Also, since I don't have a Suncoast TC, I would not have done runs there, even if I could have, because that would have exposed the tranny to max potential for damage (oh, for a 6-speed manual box).

Cost of used ECU: $145
InMotion "Cloning" Fee: $100
InMotion Tuning Fee: $350
Overnight shipping + insurance: $39

Total: $634

Cost per HP increase: $24.38
Cost per ft/lb increase: $11.74

I am awaiting receipt of Sean Kammer's latest handiwork, his new SP Diesel "4-level", add-on tuner.

I plan to run it "back-to-back" with the stock ECU, just as I did here, thus eliminating any differences in the test conditions between today and whenever that test is executed. James at InMotion advised against "stacking" a module with their Stage II ECU, but I may do a few dyno runs to see if the gains with each ECU could be non-linear.

Will report when the data is available. (If anyone would like to send any add-on tuner boxes to me for testing, feel free. Testing any other reprogrammed ECUs will be difficult because each one would have to be "cloned" to mine first, then altered.)

Best Wishes,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:47 pm 
LOST Addict

05 CRD with about 25kmi at time of flash. Never had F37 done. My before and after dyno results are documented here http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=24280

Across the rpm range, gains ranged from 35 up to 60 ft-lbs higher than stock, and the difference in the way it drives is huge. I lost no mpg when cruising on the highway, and have had no reliability problems in the 5kmi since then. $300 for the flash and $25 for the overnight shipping.

Post subject: flash
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:02 am 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
05 CRD with about 25kmi at time of flash. Never had F37 done. My before and after dyno results are documented here http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=24280

Across the rpm range, gains ranged from 35 up to 60 ft-lbs higher than stock, and the difference in the way it drives is huge. I lost no mpg when cruising on the highway, and have had no reliability problems in the 5kmi since then. $300 for the flash and $25 for the overnight shipping.

Hi,

Which flash did you get?

2.5 inch full flow muffler.
Fuel Heater Disconnected.
In tank lift pump :)
Provent :)
Boost, EGT and Trans temp.
Engine Bay Vents soon.
Transgo Valve body (no resistor) :)
Hemi TC P04736587AC replaced (original TC P04736582AD in '07 KJ CRD) - Nice -:) :) :)

If im not here Im there....

Post subject: InMotion Reflash of ECU
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

2005 CRD 28k miles SEGR kit installed

I sent my ECU and a clone unit I got from a junkyard to InMotion for their Stage 2 performance reflash. I got them back in just a couple of days. I installed the clone ECU and tried to start the engine. It wouldn't fire. So I removed the clone unit and reinstalled my original ECU and the engine still would not fire.
I called InMotion and talked with James. I asked if maybe the units were mixed up and not reflashed as needed. He assured me that my units were identified correctly and that he had recorded what was on both my original and clone ECU's. He told me that the problem was most likely in the hardware of the clone ECU. He said the reflash wouldn't cause problems like that.
Back out to the garage I went with my scan tool. I hooked it up and it showed 17 defect codes. I cleared the codes and installed the clone ECU. I checked all the wiring and connections and found nothing wrong. I next checked the fuses and discovered a blown one in the ASD feed circuit. I put my amp gauge across it and discovered a direct short. I reinstalled the original ECU and replaced the fuse. The engine fired right up.
I then called the junkyard and had them send another ECU directly to James at InMotion. It took the junkyard three weeks to get the unit to James. He sent it back to me in two days with the stage 2 reflash installed. I installed the clone unit once again and this time the engine fired up and ran great! I can feel a definite boost in power and I can see from my boost gauge that there is much more now than with the stock ECU. My mileage has improved by 2.5-3.0 mpg on average from what I was getting before.
It was a pain in the booty having to go through dealing with the defective ECU, but a pleasure to work with James and InMotion tuning. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone who is looking for more power and improved fuel economy!
I would definitely do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Doc,
Any info on the spdiesel module and the inmotion and or stock ecu?

Custom CCV oil separator
Racor 245

2006 BMW 330i

Post subject: SP Diesel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 am 
LOST Addict

aandlwoods,

I have the latest SPD unit, but have not been able to dyno it. I hooked it up briefly with the IM ECU in place and it clearly makes more power, but I don't have anything objective.

Sorry,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject: Re: InMotion Reflash of ECU
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:15 pm 
LOST Member

Tom1 wrote:
2005 CRD 28k miles SEGR kit installed

I sent my ECU and a clone unit I got from a junkyard to InMotion for their Stage 2 performance reflash. I got them back in just a couple of days. I installed the clone ECU and tried to start the engine. It wouldn't fire. So I removed the clone unit and reinstalled my original ECU and the engine still would not fire.
I called InMotion and talked with James. I asked if maybe the units were mixed up and not reflashed as needed. He assured me that my units were identified correctly and that he had recorded what was on both my original and clone ECU's. He told me that the problem was most likely in the hardware of the clone ECU. He said the reflash wouldn't cause problems like that.
Back out to the garage I went with my scan tool. I hooked it up and it showed 17 defect codes. I cleared the codes and installed the clone ECU. I checked all the wiring and connections and found nothing wrong. I next checked the fuses and discovered a blown one in the ASD feed circuit. I put my amp gauge across it and discovered a direct short. I reinstalled the original ECU and replaced the fuse. The engine fired right up.
I then called the junkyard and had them send another ECU directly to James at InMotion. It took the junkyard three weeks to get the unit to James. He sent it back to me in two days with the stage 2 reflash installed. I installed the clone unit once again and this time the engine fired up and ran great! I can feel a definite boost in power and I can see from my boost gauge that there is much more now than with the stock ECU. My mileage has improved by 2.5-3.0 mpg on average from what I was getting before.
It was a pain in the @$#% having to go through dealing with the defective ECU, but a pleasure to work with James and InMotion tuning. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone who is looking for more power and improved fuel economy!
I would definitely do it again.

Hi Tom,

Just wondering if you can say what you current fuel economy is now with the stage II please.

2.5 inch full flow muffler.
Fuel Heater Disconnected.
In tank lift pump :)
Provent :)
Boost, EGT and Trans temp.
Engine Bay Vents soon.
Transgo Valve body (no resistor) :)
Hemi TC P04736587AC replaced (original TC P04736582AD in '07 KJ CRD) - Nice -:) :) :)

If im not here Im there....

Post subject: worth it
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So is it worth the $350 to get the in motion reflash, or would that 350 be better suited to buy one of the external power devices instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

does anybody have an opinion on which would be better; the re flash or the external power modules? I am going to be getting one but I am having a hard time deciding which is better.

Post subject: Linewarbr's Green Diesel Engineering Experience
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

**Copy-and-pasted from regular discussion thread**

Just got my ECU back and re-installed about 15 minutes ago.

Let me first say, as we do here in south Louisiana. . . YES INDEED!! After hooking everything back up, I went for a little ride. Even from when I first put it into gear, I noticed a difference. The sound is very much like the sound of the engine with ORM, more "dieselly," but much smoother at the same time. Even pulling out of the driveway and accelerating up the street, it was just more responsive, more eager.

Then I took it around the corner to a highway and turned 'er loose. I mashed the go-pedal and the tach pegged over to redline and blip-shifted to second right about the time I looked down at it. Now she's not a drag racer now, but much improved. I did a U-Turn, came to a complete stop, and did it again - same result. Very good initial seat-of-the-pants impression. I'm not saying that it's like the difference between a small 4-cylinder gasser and a Viper, but the difference is noticeable. Definitely not only comparable to the ORM. Plus it's nice to not have the CEL on.

One other thing I noticed is that shifts and power delivery through the transmission seems more smooth, less intrusive. At slow speeds, my trans seemed to not know whether to stay in first or upshift to second before, now, it was seamless going down the street. Also, since the highway is 55 mph limited, when I hit 60 I backed off all the way from WOT. Before, it was as though the truck immediately slowed after lifting off the accelerator, whereas now it actually seemed to coast. Keep in mind that this is brand new to me, so take what I say with a grain of salt for sure.

I will post again with mileage figures. Before the tune (and disconnecting my battery erased the EVIC) I was getting about 26.5 by the EVIC, 23.5 calculated by hand. I will have a pretty fair idea of new mileage by Friday, then I am taking a 400-mile trip which will give a really good idea. I do a lot of highway driving, so my numbers will be overall mpg.

Last, but DEFINITELY not least, if you are going to do this tune or any tune that requires removal of your ECU, UNBOLT THE BRACKET, NOT THE ECU. That one tip made the 2-hour removal into a 10-minute re-install. Two 10 mm nuts with ample ratchet-head space are much better than 4 8mm nuts without. Untold thanks, bugnout.

**MILEAGE EDIT 6/25/09 @ 6:45 am CST**
EVIC showed 32.9 mpg on the Interstate this morning during my 50-mile commute to work. I drive 80 mph (via GPS, not the speedo) when I can, and I also stopped at a store to get a breakfast sandwich and left it idling for ~4 min while I went in. After exiting the Interstate, I spent 15 minutes in slow-speed, stop-and-go traffic trying to get into the plant and my EVIC readout only went down to 32.7 mpg. That's roughly a 6 mpg increase via EVIC, which should translate to 5.5 or 6 mpg increase when calculated by hand. I am running Shell ULSD and I add 6oz of PowerService (silver bottle) and 6 oz of TC-W3 Quicksilver 2-stroke oil every time I fill up.

Very impressed. I will have to wait till I fill up to hand-calculate mpg, and will post after I do.

**From follow-up post in general discussion**

I had some concerns about how the tune would affect my EGT's, boost, and rail pressure, so I fired off an email to GDE and received an immediate response. Text is below.

Darren asked:
"Did you install any gauges on your test mules to check EGT’s, Rail Pressure, and Boost Pressure? I am a little concerned that the new performance and higher boost could raise these to potentially harmful levels. I would like to verify what, if any, change that you experienced in your testing."

GDE responded:
"We had our vehicles fully instrumented for the development and validation testing. This included turbo speed sensors, EGT, boost, rail and just about everything else. We limited the peak boost based on keeping the turbo speeds within the safety margin and rail pressure is limited based on the hardware limitation. The EGTs are actually lower at peak power than with the production configuration as we advanced the timing of injection. This sends more heat to the coolant and less out the exhaust. In trailer tow situations with ambient temps above 100 F when the coolant approaches the limits, we back off on the timing advance to reduce coolant heat rejection and also reduce peak fueling levels to limit EGT.

In normal cruising you can notice the turbo more as the boost is higher, the speeds went from around 120,000rpm to 140,000rpm and about 155,000rpm in high altitude. The turbo will never go over 200,000 in any condition and those peaks are only at WOT conditions. The validation, development trips along with 5 engineers working full time on this were the main reason our product costs more as we need to begin to cover the overall costs. I hope this puts you at ease. Just to note, we have accumulated over 50,000 miles on two KJs with the tune and have had not issues to date."

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Post subject: Re: ECM PERFORMANCE REFLASH: INMOTION and similar when avail
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Summer fuel economy was 22/tank and slipped to 20.5 to 21 as I was in dire need of a new thermostat. Now with 100k tune-up (done at 117k) and with the GDE full-torque eco tune; my mileage per tank has increased to 24.5 (see fuelly). This is about 60/40 city/highway mileage ratio. I don't have alot of bonafide city driving but I do have to stop-start every 1-2 miles for stop signs driving in the country. I seldom get to use 5th OD in this situation :? . On the highway I drive 70-75. My libby has the same response and driveability improvements already stated throughout the board.

Boilermaker2

GDE EcoTune w/ unl torque
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Tires
over 192,000+ miles
100k mile service performed
5V Glow Plugs Installed and ECM updated

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 am 
LOST Member

Well I guess I'm the oddball of the bunch. Had the GDE Ecotune (unlimited) installed . My 2 main reasons for the purchase was to turn off the EGR and to increase fuel economy. Prior to this I had the F37, ORM, EHM. My first noticeable difference was an uneven idle (RPM's would dip for a moment about every 3-5 seconds). My second noticable difference was towing my boat uphill seemed to cause alot of shifting between 3rd and 4th. Now granted I live where knarly windy curvy mountain roads is the norm. My friends noticed my exhaust smelled of unburned fuel. The biggest difference was the consistent reduction in fuel economy. Prior to installation I'd get 22-24 towing my boat and 29-31 on the highway. After installation I was getting 17 towing and the best highway mileage I got driving ultra conservative (which is not typical for me) was 27.2. After sending the ECU back to return to stock my fuel economy immediately returned to normal and towing was much smoother uphills.

GDE was really good about honoring their warantee and I wanted SOOOO bad for this unit to work but then again if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:37 am 
LOST Addict

Did you discuss with Keith after running again with the stock program? So many things go wrong so often with these rigs, I can see something going awry around the time you installed the tune that had nothing to do with it. However, if mileage improved after you reinstalled the OEM tune, you have to wonder. There's a vacuum hose that is easy to dislodge when you remove the ECU that would cause these problems (particularly the uneven idle). Any chance you noticed it was loose and put it back on tight when you reinstalled the ECU?

In any case, something's wrong with this situation, somewhere. We were getting about 22 MPG with SEGR, EHM, clean cat and magnaflow exhaust. This went to 26 MPG with IM SII. Now it is at 32 MPG with GDE HOT (light foot) and GDE TCM II (all hand calculated, BTW).

DOC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:08 pm 
LOST Member

Yes. Keith was very helpful and was convinced that something must be wrong with the liberty but it ran perfectly prior to the ecotune and returned to the exact condition after returned to stock. No vacuum lines were harmed in the installation. R & R was very simple. Trust me I wanted this tune to work SOOO BAD! Hell even if it made absolutely no change in performance and fuel economy I would have kept it because I'm sick of the CEL being on all the time but it didn't. As far as I can tell it did probably improve acceleration but I never really bought it to lower my quarter mile times so I never really tested it. I generally have bad luck with stuff anyways and chalked it up to experience. As I stated earlier I live in the mountains and drive up and down windy curvy roads with a 2000' elevation change just to go to town so it's possible that this tune just isn't suited for that type of driving... I don't know. Maybe it just doesn't like me. :2cents:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I replied to your post a day after reading it without rereading it. Wish I had before replying. Your mileage figures when towing and not towing in stock configuration seem beyond likely possibility. Are you going by the EVIC? This is not accurate with the OEM ECU. GDE modifies the ECU settings so the EVIC is much more accurate regarding fuel mileage. The mileage you report with the GDE ECU sounds about right without all the additional mods I have to further improve mileage.

DOC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:03 am 
LOST Member

DOC4444 wrote:
Are you going by the EVIC?
DOC

No EVIC on my jeep. Everything done the old fashioned way. I ran two tanks full of fuel through the libby just to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke. After I contacted Keith about my concern I drove about 670ish ultra conservative highway miles touring my parents around the state on a sightseeing tour and logged 27.2mpg upon completion. Then immediately parked it and removed ECU and shipped back to GDE for a restore. As soon as it came back in the mail I reinstalled and filled it to the brim and set the odometer to 0. Then my wife drove it on a photography tour (loaded with people and supplies) doing a lot of stop and go driving and sitting with it idling for about 420ish miles and I refilled it to the brim and recalculated mileage at 27.7mpg and the next fill up (more highway miles) produced 29.9mpg. I personally drove it 350 miles each way to where I was working this winter on the occasional weekend off and would consistently clock 29-30mpg on the commutes. This was with the ORM. I just did the EHM two weeks ago because my MAP sensor was starting to get gummed up again (after about 10K)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

With the GRD eco tune, I noticed a bit more power, but my MPG, has not changed. The GRD made no difference to the accuracy of the overhead MPG indicator and I asked GRD specifically about this and they told me that they could not correct it. Mine reads about 4mpg high and my speedometer reads about 4mph high. Same before and after the tune.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recieved my flash tool from Keith at Green Diesel Engineering yesterday and he promptly sent my Full Torque Eco tune, even though it was later on a Friday night. Great service! I installed it this morning and here is what I've found.

IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

My 06 was running in F37 land and definetly had it's issues with the EGR and FCV I believe. I've had a few issues in driveability that were cleared up by the Eco tune.

1. At low rpm, low speed, low load conditions it sounded like it was missing and not very smooth. Now it's great.
2. When I would park it hot and restart after 20 min or more, it would miss at first on restart. No more miss.
3. In general, it just feels smoother at every rpm.
4. The power increase is FANTASTIC. The jump from 260 ftlb of torque to 334 ftlb is obvious. With the wet roads today I had to put her in full time 4wd just to do some hard acceleration tests. It pulls like a freight train compared to before.

The only problem I had was an issue with the software, but it's probably on my end since it worked fine last night but gave me fits this morning. All in all, a fantastic upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought my truck with a stage two Inmotion chip. Yesterday I installed the Trans tune from GDE. I LOVE the new shift points. It seems to shift more cleanly and the points are more to my liking. My truck came with a Suncoast converter so I dont have to worry about that.