It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HAYDEN Fan
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Im looking for the information as to which plastic fan and fan clutch Ill need to buy to swap out my CRD units. I remember a guy around here has done this but I cant find the information.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: V6 fan and clutch information please
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think the nylon fan part # is 52079654AE or 52079654AD

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Interesting, those parts lead you to the same thing. What else is required? Shroud etc?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nope, I replace the fan clutch with a Hayden fan clutch and the metal fan with the nylon fan at the same time. Need to remove or at least get the shroud loose to get the fan out, but it fits in the same location, no other alterations required.

Be careful when you remove the metal fan, someone on here damaged thier radiator while doing this. Maybe slide a piece of cardboard in after you get the shroud off.

I think there is a good thread on here somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I havent been able to find that thread. Do you remember which Haden clutch you used?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hayden severe duty 2905.

To remove the fan:
1. about midway down each side of the fan shroud is a short bolt (10mm head IIRC) remove each and put in a safe spot as it is ABSOLUTELY essential to use those same bolts when reinstalling the shroud (longer bolts will puncture the radiator core and then you are in deep....)
2. clip the wire ties holding the stuff on top of the shroud to the little resting points (can be replace with standard nylon wire ties on reinstall.
3. now comes the fun part as the fan nut is usually on there realllly tight. You will need to lock the fan base in place (lots of ideas on the forum but see http://www.beesvillebeefarm.com/jeep.html for what worked for me - scroll down to the allen key used as a stop picture) and a long/big adjustable wrench/a similar 36mm wrench/a Lisle fan removal tool with air hammer/a big hammen. With the fan nut base locked in place apply the wrench and loosen the nut counterclockwise; the latter may require application of some degree of encouragement to the handle of the wrench.
4. once the fan nut is loose place a towel or a piece of cardboard between the fan and the radiator to prevent radiator damage and unscrew the fan from the base.
5. move those things loosened in step 2, above, out of the way and remove the fan and the shroud together. Yes it can be done without removal of CAC or radiator hoses but it does take a bit of twisting to, IIRC, get the passenger corner of the shroud clear.

At this point:
1. look down where those nuts bolt to the radiator housing and you will see 2 retainers holding the nuts. Those retainers are open toward the midline of the vehicle so nothing in holding the nuts in place. I'd recommend a nylon wire tie around the outside of the retainer or a bit of hot glue to keep those nuts from disappearing.
2. you need to consider what to do with the shroud to avoid this hassle in the future for serp belt and TB/water pump work. Options include the Aussie mod (I did that but used 8 wire ties instead of screws - keeps entire shroud but allows removal of the top for fan removal - see http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=76201 for how to; scroll down for pictures); modified Aussie (same result but easier cut-see viewtopic.php?f=98&t=64278&p=709322#p709322); cut the shroud just below the mounting bolt holes and reinstall just top 1/2; or don't reuse shroud.

With one important exception reinstall is the reverse of removal. The exception is to use anti-seize on the fan nut threads so future removal won't be so hard. Just spin the fan down until it stops; no need to tighten as it tightens during operation.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs