It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing factory cruise control on the CRD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

This article details how to install cruise onto the CRD. My 2005 (US Spec CRD) came with the power sunroof, power windows, locks, and mirrors but no cruise control. It does not have the factory radio controls on the steering wheel.

Credit should be given to CATCRD and SirSam for forging the way on this install. I know that they successfully installed cruise on CATCRD's CRD liberty long before I installed mine.

Installing cruise is relatively straight forward. On a one to five difficulty scale, this is a one wrench job (very easy). On all 05-06 CRDs, your Liberty came equipped as a drive by wire throttle. This means that you don't need a servo to actuate the cruise like the gas powered Liberty's.

Total cost of the job was less than $100. Figure $20-40 for the parts and one hour of labor cost ($65) for the dealer to hook you into StarScan.

Tools Required:
8MM socket and wrench
Phillips screwdriver
StarSCAN (dealer or service shop)

Parts required:
Set of cruise controls from either a junkyard or new.
Wiring harness from the clockspring to the cruise control switches. In the picture below you can see the original non cruise CRD harness above and the new harness below from a Liberty that was equipped with cruise from the factory.

Step 1: Disconnect the battery. Since you will be removing the airbag and some associated wiring, it's always best to disconnect the battery first.

Step 2: Use the 8mm socket and wrench to remove two bolts located behind the steering wheel. These bolts are recessed in the holes behind the spokes of the wheel. See the picture below.

Step 3: After you've removed the bolts, you can then gently pull out the horn/airbag assembly from the center of the wheel. Image
Gently pull it away and disconnect the wiring for the horn then set the airbag assembly on top of the wheel.

Step 4: Remove the wiring harness on the top left of the clockspring. This harness runs to the horn, which you just disconnected.
Notice that the harness and port have provisions to accomodate additional wiring. This is important since your new harness will have more wiring to control the horn and the cruise.

Step 5: Feed this wiring out of the looms and remove it from the vehicle.

Step 6: Use your Phillips screwdriver to remove the plastic covers on the spokes of the wheel and replace them with your new cruise control switches.

Step 7: Take your new wiring harness and feed it through the looms on each side of the wheel.

Step 8: Once the wiring is secured, install the harness into each cruise control switch.

Step 9: Install the last harness end into the clockspring. This is where you removed the harness from earlier.

Step 10: Take the airbag assembly off the wheel and reconnect the horn.

Step 11: Place the airbag assembly back into position and reinstall the two bolts through the back of the steering wheel.

Step 12: Reconnect battery.

Step 13: Now you need to go to the dealer or a service shop that has StarScan. StarScan is required in order to tell the PCM that your CRD now has cruise. The tech, through StarScan, will "tell" the PCM to recognize that cruise was equipped on the vehicle.

Final Notes: My CRD required an additional ground wire to enable cruise. It appears that my wiring harness to the PCM had 2 of 3 wires required for the cruise to work. It was missing the ground wire. When I was hooked up to StarScan the tech hooked up a little jumper ground wire and now all works as planned. I will take a picture of that and edit this post once my wife returns with the Jeep. The tech also told me that should my battery be disconnected or go dead for a long period of time it is possible that the PCM may not "remember" that cruise was installed. Thus, you may have to get it reinstalled via StarScan if your CRD battery goes dead for a while. I'm not going to test the theory but if I hear of a confirmed case, I'll amend this thread. After the jumper wire was installed, the cruise works as it should and we've had no problems with it.

2005 CRD (RIP 2/5/10)

2008 Grand Cherokee Limited WK, CRD, 4x4, lift, 32's.
2008 HEMI Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK, lots of extras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any more info on that missing ground wire? Also what dealer did you use???? I'm close to San Antonio too:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry irboogie, I forgot I was going to get back to everyone on that. I went to Ancira over on I-10 close to Huebner Road. Ask for Tom Been (pronounced like "bean"). He's one of the service managers. Tell him that Tim sent you and you want to get your cruise hooked up. He'll remember me. He's a good guy and will get the job done right.

I'll see if I can get a pic of that ground wire for you so you can have it all hooked up prior to your visit.

Tim

2005 CRD (RIP 2/5/10)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Year model 2006 requires the Starscan, where year model 2005 requires the DRBIII dealer scantool - the installed options clear only with the scantool

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:
Year model 2006 requires the Starscan, where year model 2005 requires the DRBIII dealer scantool - the installed options clear only with the scantool

So will I run into problems with my 06?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any news on that ground wire? or where it is located... I was trying to find it today did not want to splice it behind the ECM :shock:
Thanks
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Eric,

I went back through everything today and I cannot find any additional ground wire that the dealer mentioned. :roll: I went from the ECM, back through the firewall and up the steering post to the cruise paddles but I did not find a ground wire that was added. I had it done at Ancira Jeep off of I-10 in San Antonio. Tom Been was the service manager if you'd like to call and speak with him.

I'm sorry that doesn't help but I can honestly say that there is no additional ground wire anywhere in that general area.

2005 CRD (RIP 2/5/10)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for looking Tim,
I went all over it with the service manual and could not find it open. I have a good connection to ground from the back of clock spring that goes away when unplug the ECM. I'll call Tom in the morning to see when he can get me in.
Thanks again for looking
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got it working, took an 1 1/2 and my dealer blamed it on a "bad connection" I think the trouble is that the menu is very hard to find. But for $85 it was well worth it on my road trip this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Tim

My dealer is finding it difficult to locate the correct wiring harness to do this. Unfortunately over here in the UK they work off the vehicle VIN and are unable to just look up the svhematics on a 2005 CRD! :roll:

Don't suppose you have the part number for the harness you used? My KJ came as did yours with no radio controls and no cruise so I need exactly the same piece of harness as yours.

I have already installed my switches and confirmed that the correct socket and harness retainers are there (including the extra pins in the socket.)

Many thanks
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

We have Cruise Control !!!! :D

The dealer was very dismissive when I took it in to get the ECU flashed, and was adamand that it couldn't be done and that no vehicle prior to 2006 could have the ECU flashed as it wasn't C.A.N. Networked, pretty much sent me away with my tail between my legs!

Anyhoo.... I went back in and asked to speak directly to one of the Chrysler Techs who was far more helpful, listened to what I was saying and was willing to give it a try (half of the problem is that they never get asked to do this!)

If it hadn't been for the fact that I told them they needed to use the DRBII tool rather than Starscan, I still don't think I would have got very far!

The Tech came out to the car with me and plugged in, he couldn't find any menu options to enable cruise which leads me to believe that the time issues a couple of you guys experience was due to having to just try every menu option.

The only reference to cruise on DRB is 'reset cruise' however when the tech hit this the unit then said 'cruise learned' and on taking her for a drive to see if that was it, I found that that indeed was it!

A point to note here, when I drove her out of the dealer forecourt I hit the cruise on/off button and nothing happened, my heart sank and at that point I resigned myself to the fact that I couldn't have cruise and the first service guy was right all along, anyway, as I was driving back to the dealer to let the Tech know it hadn't worked I just pushed all the cruise buttons out of frustration and...... the cruise symbol lit up on the dash!!!!! from there on it worked fine. I'd probably driven half a mile before hitting any button did anything....

The upshot of this is that I didn't get charged for the ECU upgrade!

So there ya go.... the UK 05 CRD Sport is the same as the US version in that cruise is a pre installed option just without the buttons or wiring harness, the harness and buttons came to £75 brand new from the Jeep dealer and I got the ECU flashed for nothing although I had originally been quoted 30 mins labour at £40.

For anyone else who wants to do this.... It really is a very simple job, took me all of 10 mins to fit the new switches and wiring, literally a plug and play excercise.

The required Mopar parts are as follows:

56010686AA - Left cruise switch* (on/off & set)
56010687AA - Right cruise switch* (accelerate, decelerate & cancel)
56050820AB - Steering wheel wiring harness**

* I may have these the wrong way round but as long as you order 1 of each you'll be fine.
** please note that there are a couple of variations to the wiring harness depending on whether or not your vehicle is fitted with steering column radio controls, the above part is for vehicles that DO NOT have the radio controls.

Many thanks to Rob and Jason in the parts department at Kings Jeep in Teesside for putting up with me and my hair-brained schemes and to John the Chrysler Tech at Kings for giving me his time and not just writing me and the idea off as others did!

And a very big thanks to those who took the time to put this post together and do the original research..... YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Paul

P.S. While I was messing round around the steering column fitting the switch for my IPF spots, I found another accessory plug not doing anything!!!..... I'm off to see what else my baby is wired for with no switches supplied :lol:

Last edited by Vipa66 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Looks like she's also pre-wired for the light-bar..... She's just missing the switch (on the right of the steering column (UK RHD version) and of course, the light-bar :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

hi guys.. i have open my steering wheel cover to check inside.. I would like a cruise on my Sport CRD..

the connection is a little bit different from the previous shows from THEBIGTMAN..

I have a 3PIN connectro free instead of the 5PIN connector.. and in my case the horn is separatly (2PIN)

can someone kindly help me to find the correct cable?.. I have a MY2007 Sport Cherokee..

thanks to all..

KJ 2.8 CRD Automatic Limited Silver
http://picasaweb.google.com/antonioKJ07
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
CB Cobra 75 WX ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys for doing the research. I talked to many different dealerships and even looked into aftermarket cruise, but no luck. It was one of the main reasons my wife wants a new vehicle, at least now I can put cruise in it for me. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 am 
LOST Newbie

toknight wrote:
Thanks guys for doing the research. I talked to many different dealerships and even looked into aftermarket cruise, but no luck. It was one of the main reasons my wife wants a new vehicle, at least now I can put cruise in it for me. :twisted:

also my wife want a new car.. :lol:

in any case, I found the correct cable here http://colorado4wheel.com/allmanuals/Jeep/KJ/

chek it, it's very intersting..

KJ 2.8 CRD Automatic Limited Silver
http://picasaweb.google.com/antonioKJ07
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
CB Cobra 75 WX ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Any followup to the harness required for the '06 - '07? I have the same connector as antonio_crd. :P Got it. 52029379AA

Post subject: Re: Installing factory cruise control on the CRD
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 am 
LOST Newbie

I recently was able to get cruise to work in my CRD by following the article posted here. The tough part here is getting the dealership to understand that first of all it is possible, and that its something they can do. If anyone wants the inside scoop, I would be happy to scan my receipt that describes in more detail what has to be done. I was soooo relieved when I finally tasted sweet success.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm glad to hear that it's working correctly Jake. :BANANA: As I understand it from your PM, a temporary ground was needed in your case (and I presume in mine as well).

2005 CRD (RIP 2/5/10)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

06 Jeep Liberty Diesel

Still not working!!! Got new switches and harness and installed on Liberty took to dealer and they tried to use witech but it would not connect also he changed options for factory cruise on dealer connect, then they tried the starscan and still the only cruise option was reset cruise. Did not work!!! Tried DRB III and still only cruise option was reset cruise and tried it but no change. Is there something else that needs to be done?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

"Hi try this
Switch Ignition on, engine not running, depress the brake pedal
and hold, press and hold the CRUISE ON/OFF switch on the
steering wheel for greater than 10 seconds, release switch,
switch off ignition for 10 seconds.
You will see the cruise light come on as you are holding the switch. "
Merlin from Jeep Fourm.com

I said
merlinTec did this and cruise light came on as described turned off for 10 secs and turned back and and cruise turned off and on. Tried to set cruise at arround 15 mph which i figured was to slow and the light went off and wont come back on. Tried the brake pedal hold cruise combo again but it wont work anymore. Do I have to go back to the dealer and reset cruise again? And wait to get up to speed before i set it?

Did not have to go to the dealer to reset cruise again just had to go somewhere and tested it and it worked. pressed accel and it quit; light went out and all buttons lost functionality. Shut the car off for about 2 minutes and it works again. Turned on cruise and all buttons worked properly for abour 2 minutes and then quit. Shut the car off for about 2 minutes and it worked again for somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes on different attempts.