It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: In-tank Lift Pump Installation Details
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:45 pm 
LOST Addict

So I finally went back in to swap the float as I missed that step (cut a hatch, will post in other thread soon), but my airtex which I bought about a year still causes a red fuel dash light. The gauge is reading properly.
I thought someone mentioned adjusting a potentiometer in an old thread, but I can't find any reference to it now.
The light comes off and on, but is mostly a problem in cold weather. Maybe i need to add a resistor, as current flow increases in cold weather...
At least i can add a resistor without pulling the sender again. Even though it's easy with the hatch, it's still a mess and man I have to beat the heck out of that ring, it shifts the whole tank (in vehicle).

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:56 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
IIRC all of the rheostats are the same, mountain man, and the floats likewise.
The bit that's different is the steel wire that attaches the float to the rheostat.

This is the CRD float arm. The regular Dodge arm would be right at the table level before it makes the 90 degree bend to the float.
The whole thing can be changed by unclipping the rheostat on both, and swapping them.
The only wiring necessary is for the fuel rheostat - to - fuel level gauge, and those wires are resistance only (no polarity) can go either way.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:59 pm 
LOST Member

CRD Joe wrote:
How do you know if you NEED this mod? Ive never had fueling issue with EITHER of my CRD's.

With a lift pump installed you will experience better start especially in cold weather, you will also feel the engine have quicker throttle response. You will also be sure you never have any fuel aeration issue and never gonna have to pump the fuel filter head again.

After the Webasto and the HDS thermostat housing, the in tank lift pump is the best CRD mod and one of the cheapest one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm 

PZKW108 wrote:
CRD Joe wrote:
How do you know if you NEED this mod? Ive never had fueling issue with EITHER of my CRD's.

With a lift pump installed you will experience better start especially in cold weather, you will also feel the engine have quicker throttle response. You will also be sure you never have any fuel aeration issue and never gonna have to pump the fuel filter head again.
After the Webasto and the HDS thermostat housing, the in tank lift pump is the best CRD mod and one of the cheapest one.

And it will actually make the engine run and idle a little smoother as many have reported after installing an intank pump.
Behind EGR removal, it is the second most popular MOD to the Jeep CRD and well worth the time and money.... :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:04 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
IIRC all of the rheostats are the same, mountain man, and the floats likewise.
The bit that's different is the steel wire that attaches the float to the rheostat.

This is the CRD float arm. The regular Dodge arm would be right at the table level before it makes the 90 degree bend to the float.
The whole thing can be changed by unclipping the rheostat on both, and swapping them.
The only wiring necessary is for the fuel rheostat - to - fuel level gauge, and those wires are resistance only (no polarity) can go either way.

Thanks! I'll have to look at swapping the whole rheostat assembly, versus just the float arm. I might just measure the resistance of both though, and maybe fix it without pulling the float again

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I'm finally going to do this mod soon. Does anybody have any updates/etc to add to what's been provided here?

THANKS in advance for the help!

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:44 pm 

SJBrooks wrote:
Hi all,
I'm finally going to do this mod soon. Does anybody have any updates/etc to add to what's been provided here?
THANKS in advance for the help!
Steve

See this, it provides a pretty good overview of intank fuel pump install:> Airtex E7181M In-tank Lift Pump Install Jeep Liberty CRD

Wire terminals available at Mouser Electronics if you want to add two wires to your existing wiring harness and build your own. (very easy)
Wire Terminals: Aptiv APEX (formerly Delphi) 2.8 Series Terminals 16 AWG to 14 AWG Bulk Automotive Connectors.
2 female and 1 male pins required & one 1/4" ring terminal for ground wire to body under rear seat
male, 14-16 gauge wire, Mouser Part #829-10757692-L
female, 14-16 gauge wire Mouser Part # 829-15509075-L
https://www.mouser.com/c/connectors/aut ... onnectors/

You can purchase the wiring harness at Sasquatch Parts if you don't want to build your own.
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... berty-crd/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WW. I also previously printed out that Airtex pump install info from the link you provided. I expect that, between it and the main thread's info, I should be able to get it done.

Steve