It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: In-tank Lift Pump Installation Details
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

about a foot of each

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

how much does this process change on a 2006? Is there a recomended place to get the pump?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I believe the harness coming through the bottom of the seat cavity is a bit different based on the 2006 model having more ABS sensors on the back end. The same pins should be in place (and you can test that with key-on/key-off tests after you put a fuse in. The tank and sending units should be the same, but I'll say a 2006 owner might want to chime in just to confirm that. It's easy to verify if you don't mind having your carpet pulled up in the back while you figure it out. You're only really committed when you drain and drop the tank (by far the most labor-intensive part).

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just up graded my fuel lines from the tank to the steel lines. Just wanted to point out one Correction, you will need 2- 2 and 1/2 feet of fuel line. The fuel feed is a 3/8 ID and the return is 5/16 ID
I ordered the wrong size feed line from Defender, so I had to run to NAPA for some 3/8 line.
The Trident brand marine hose is high quality line and would recommend using it, as well as the Marine grade stainless hose clamps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:57 pm 
LOST Member

This is a great write up, and I need to do this very soon. I am bleeding the filter head every couple of days right now and it is getting OOOOLD.

My question is, has anyone attempted to access the top of the tank in a U.S. Liberty by cutting an access panel like the Euro Liberty's have? I'm not familiar with the layout or design of that area of the vehicle, but it seems like if they did it from the factory in one vehicle we could accomplish it in another. I have all the tools at my disposal to cut through the sheet metal without showering the tank in sparks, and it would be easy to add a flange to the cutout and Permatex it back into the opening to prevent exhaust gasses from entering the cabin. After the carpet is replaced, you would never know it was there. It may sound like a little more work up front, but if you ever have to get back into the tank to replace a pump or float or whatever, you have a quick access panel that just paid off big time. Honestly, it sounds like less work to me (who hates turning wrenches in hard-to-reach areas) than dropping the whole tank anyway.

I would be willing to give it a try unless there is an obvious reason why people aren't doing it. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 am 
LOST Newbie

My opinion, keep things stock unless definitely required. Installing the pump is probably a once in a lifetime job (you won't be doing it every 6 months), don't see the point of spending time cutting a hole in the floor when dropping the tank is an easy job on these Jeeps.

Also, I read somewhere that even trying to install a lift-pump thru the factory access turned to be difficult, and at the end they had to loosen the tank to complete the job... of course unless you're planning a larger opening :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am 
LOST Member

apardo001 wrote:
My opinion, keep things stock unless definitely required. Installing the pump is probably a once in a lifetime job (you won't be doing it every 6 months), don't see the point of spending time cutting a hole in the floor when dropping the tank is an easy job on these Jeeps.

Also, I read somewhere that even trying to install a lift-pump thru the factory access turned to be difficult, and at the end they had to loosen the tank to complete the job... of course unless you're planning a larger opening :mrgreen:

A larger opening was the plan, if required. I'm in the process of determining if mine already has the access panel. I just haven't had the time to fully tear the carpet out and chip away the sound deadening material. Perhaps this weekend...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

personally I'd much rather drop the tank - than cut holes in the floor

the hardest part of dropping the tank - was the Rock lizard rear bumper - 110 lbs

without that - it's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

APC9199 wrote:
A larger opening was the plan, if required. I'm in the process of determining if mine already has the access panel. I just haven't had the time to fully tear the carpet out and chip away the sound deadening material. Perhaps this weekend...

Regardless of which version you have, the only thing you should really need to cut is wires (to splice them) and loom (to protect everything). There's already a wire pass-through that's in the perfect location, and the deadening material might be stuck to some of the electrical, but you shouldn't need to do much with it. As for the carpet and seats, as long as you don't have a bunch of clutter back there, dis-assembly of the area (interior) and pulling things back shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes if you're moving slowly and checking things out as you go.

Really, the only "hard" part about the mod is dropping a tank that isn't empty or if you have a bunch of corroded hardware under there. Otherwise, just be methodical and careful with the wires and it's straightforward.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:45 pm 
LOST Member

Forgive my ignorance. Are the apex connectors absolutely required for this install? I have everything I need to do the job except the connectors. I was planning on modifying my original harness. If they ARE required, does anyone have extras they would like to sell? I would think there would be a lot of extras floating around if everyone who has done this job bought 5 of each. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

APC9199 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance. Are the apex connectors absolutely required for this install? I have everything I need to do the job except the connectors. I was planning on modifying my original harness. If they ARE required, does anyone have extras they would like to sell? I would think there would be a lot of extras floating around if everyone who has done this job bought 5 of each. Thanks!

The conductors exist in the factory harness all the way to the plug under the rear seat. Most folks opt to slightly modify the existing plug to add a wire (and a pin) than cut into the existing factory wiring unnecessarily. From a functional standpoint, you could use a bunch of barrel crimp connectors if you wanted. There's nothing sensitive about the wiring for the pump. It's a plain old 12v-nominal key-on signal.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:50 pm 
LOST Member

I just finished installing in-tank lift pump on 2006 Liberty CRD.

I used Carter P76148M pump. I reused the green gasket and the float from the original in-tank unit. I only had 3-4 gallon diesel in the tank so it was very easy to take down the tank. I did not take out the whole harness. I just freed two harness ends that needs to be worked on and left the speed sensor part of the harness in place. I could have finished the whole job in less than 3-4 hours if it wasn't for the "connector issues" I experienced.

Connector issues: I bought "Apex 2.8mm" male and female terminals off eBay from some China seller. It turns out that they were the wrong kind! The eBay terminal pins were the correct size but they had no locking tabs so they would not stay put inside the factory connector body. I had everything opened and did not wanted to be without my jeep for days while I wait for the correct terminals so I had to improvise. I ended up using the female terminals on the connector at the pump end of the wire harness. I installed the connector on the pump first and and then pushed in the new terminal pins inside the connector! I tugged on the unsecured terminal pins and they seemed to hold up fine. I did not use male terminal pin on the other end of the wire harness. I just used a wire tap on the factory harness on pin 2 wire under the carpet in the passenger compartment.

Note about lining up the tab on the pump: If you are going to install new fuel lines with the band clamps like I did then there is no need to line up the tab on the pump. The float works fine as long as the tab is off slightly towards 11 o'clock position. The float wire will clear the hump at the tank bottom if the tab is off slightly. If the tab is off too much then float wire may hit the hump at the tank bottom and you may get low fuel light too early on the fuel gauge.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Besides the price, is there any significant difference between the Carter P76148M and the Airtex E7181M?
This is the last part to get before I drop the tank.
By the way, I over ordered connectors so I'll be posting them when I'm done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

1stepp wrote:
Besides the price, is there any significant difference between the Carter P76148M and the Airtex E7181M?
This is the last part to get before I drop the tank.
By the way, I over ordered connectors so I'll be posting them when I'm done.

I was told the Airtex were junk. I hope not, because I already had an Airtex installed when I was told that

When Pat Peterson installed my lift pump, he installed a toggle switch to operate the lift pump when ever desired.

This is highly recommended. It is great for priming the fuel filter.

I would also like a fuel pressure gauge. That would let you know if your fuel pump ever fails.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

Last edited by jrsavoie on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:47 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Carter and no issues so far.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 pm 

I installed the Carter over two years ago and it is still working perfect; FYI, it is the OEM pump used on the Dodge Ram diesels... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:30 am 
LOST Member

pjigar wrote:
I just finished installing in-tank lift pump on 2006 Liberty

Note about lining up the tab on the pump: If you are going to install new fuel lines with the band clamps like I did then there is no need to line up the tab on the pump. The float works fine as long as the tab is off slightly towards 11 o'clock position. The float wire will clear the hump at the tank bottom if the tab is off slightly. If the tab is off too much then float wire may hit the hump at the tank bottom and you may get low fuel light too early on the fuel gauge.

I agree about not trimming the tab. I just swapped the float arms, and dropped it in. I haven't had any issues with the fuel gauge, and both of the factory fuel lines reached just fine. No need to risk snappeing off that tab while cutting it.

Mike

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:34 pm 
LOST Member

Also agree that the tab trimming is not necessary, even with OE fuel lines. I just this this with Sasquatch's harness on an '06. You also do not need to change the float and arm. It was identical to the one on the Carter pump from Sasquatch. It even had the same part numbers.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finished! Fired right up and reading consistent positive pressure. So glad o be done with air issues!! And, maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems to have a little more pep off the line! :BANANA:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next