It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: k&n cold air intake
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:29 am 
LOST Newbie

I run a K&N cold air intake on my 4 liter rubicon, and am very pleased with the increase of fuel mileage, just over 1 mpg, and the throttle response from idle. I do a lot of off roading, mud, rocks, trails, etc. Our CRD is strictly a a mall and snow queen! with the occasional road trip. Will the K&N cold air system work well with my CRD? lateron-don

04 TJ Rubicon; 3" lift; 255/85/16's BFG muds; skids & armor; Warrior top rack; Warrior back rack; K&N w/Rockit Air Tube; HD u-joints ; Cobra CB; home built 2000 gvw off road trailer with matching moabs and rubber

05 KJ CRD; Bone stock with K&N filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would suggest posting this question in the "CRD. . . Love that torque" section, as this section is for Technical write-ups only. Beware, though: there are some serious K&N haters on there.

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey thanks a lot,, it is done. Yeah some do hate K&N, I've been using K&N since I was building hopped up VW's back in the 70's and switch out stock filters immediatly on everything since. Thanks again.

04 TJ Rubicon; 3" lift; 255/85/16's BFG muds; skids & armor; Warrior top rack; Warrior back rack; K&N w/Rockit Air Tube; HD u-joints ; Cobra CB; home built 2000 gvw off road trailer with matching moabs and rubber

05 KJ CRD; Bone stock with K&N filter

Post subject: Not really a "hater" but...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oil analysis doesn't lie. Nobody disputes the fact that the K&N lets a lot of air through. Unfortunately, it also lets a lot of other larger particles through (based on oil analysis numbers by many independent contributors). You may get more power and better economy now, but there's a decent chance you're shortening the life of the engine. My suggestion would be looking into a higher quality traditional fold filter made with more pleats and is cleanable. The Amsoil line has the filtering of stock and still provides more airflow over its life (slower to block up and clog) and is re-usable since the filter media is coated with a microfiber that "lets go" of dirt with a simple vacuuming at your oil change interval.

If you race or drag, sure, go for the minor performance benefit the Oiled fabric (I had one in my Integra and loved it, but I drove it like....well, a honda), otherwise your diesel will thank you if you keep out the grit.

As for the cold air part, I'd say go for it (unless you are going to be going in any deep puddles).

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

Since this engine isn't starved for air to begin with, I doubt you will see any improvement in either power or economy. Remember, diesels run with excess air at all times. Simply put, the limiting factor here is fuel, not air. But I'm sure you'll keep us informed on YOUR experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

K&N's breath great because they LET TO MUCH doo doo INTO YOUR ENGINE!

I tossed mine and put in an Amsoil EAA air filter. DRY and way more filtration than that K&N.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I was curious about this too. I had K&N in nearly every car I owned exect the fords and the Isuzu.

I looked up the Amsoil filters

here are the part numbers

FILTERS
Oil Filter: EAO34 Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter:
Oil Filter: 51516 WIX 51516 Oil Filter
Air Filter: EAA201 Absolute Efficiency Air Filter: $38.10
Air Filter: 42329 WIX 42329 Air Filter
Fuel Filter: 33647 WIX 33647 Fuel Filter [1]
Trans Filter: 58843 WIX 58843 Auto Tran Filter [2]

1. Fuel / Water Separator
2. 4WD

TRICO WIPER BLADES