It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to: Change Timing Belt
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I COULD NOT GET THE FAN OFF!!!!
Granted, I didn't have ANY of the Dealer Tools.
I tried all the other suggested methods.
Nothing Worked.

I went to Home Depot and bought:
1, 36" X 1" X 1/4" iron stock
2, 3/8" X 1" Grade 8 Hex bolts
1, 3/8" X 1" Standard Hex Bolt
3, 3/8" Hex Nuts
2. 3/8" Washers
1, 5/16" Titanium Bit
1, 3/8" Titanium Bit

I cut the iron stock in half.
I center punched where I wanted to drill holes
I drilled one end with the 5/16" drill and tapped those holes
On the other end I drilled 3/8" hole

Total fabrication time (after I had the parts): 30 minutes

Initially, I wasn't going to use the nuts, but because of the angle, the nuts help a lot.
The first time I attempted to use it, I realized I needed to round off the cut ends.

I had been using a 24" crescent wrench, but it was to large to work with my home-made spanner, so I had to "borrow" wrenches from the local O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

It still took 2 of us and a LOT of force to break it free.

Fumoto valve
Samco
PML Tran Pan
GDE Eco Tune
Euro TC
Sasquatch Provent
EGR Delete
Weeks 101 Elbow
In-tank Lift Pump
Sasquatch airbox-to-turbo hose

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found the remove the front end method to be the safest and surprisingly easy, especially the 2nd time (I put the Power Steering Pump Pulley on backward).

When I got done the 2nd time, I had a check engine light. Two codes: P1001 (IGNITION KEY OFF TIMER PERFORMANCE - TOO FAST( and P0070 (AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO HIGH or TOO LOW).

The problem was I forgot to plug in the bumper when I put it back on. Plugged it in, worked GREAT.

Fumoto valve
Samco
PML Tran Pan
GDE Eco Tune
Euro TC
Sasquatch Provent
EGR Delete
Weeks 101 Elbow
In-tank Lift Pump
Sasquatch airbox-to-turbo hose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Based on the way people talked around here, I though this was going to be the worst thing ever. Seems pretty straightforward. Better than on a Subaru.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

It was not that bad, It really helps if you watch Sir Sams youtube vids. Especially on putting the belt back on and while the pins are in, you are able to put the correct tension on the belt and he explains how to do it. This is all with the factory tools though. At the very least if you change the belt you will need to have the pins in the crank and cams and mark them. This is only if you are only changing the belt and the idler and tensioner pully. If you decide to replace the water pump and you have to take off the back housing, the pins will either bend or break without something to keep the cams from rotating. Just make sure that you have EVERY clamp on the hoses or you will find a leak..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just ordered the kit from ID parts today and will be tackling this project on my 06 around the end of the month. I watched the videos through and I am sure they will be very helpful.
Having seen water pump front half replacement I am almost sorry that I did not spring for the extra $120.00 for the OEM pump as I have read that the rest of the pump can be a wee bit of a B#*(#H.
There was a comment posted on the final video that made sense to me that the purpose of the non keyed cam gears is so that you can leave them finger tight and use that available movement to adjust the belt so as to not have any mis spacing of the belt teeth gear to gear. I guess moving all slack to the tensioner side. Only torquing them down once the belt is correctly positioned and tensioned. It makes sense to me that with the 3 pins in place there is no need to keep the cam gears in "alignment". Yes the injector pump would still be critical being as it's kinda free floating.
Does this make sense to anyone else?
Also wonder how many and what size hoses need to be removed? So as I can purchase the right amount/size of new gear clamps. Living in a mail order town I need to make sure I have all that I will need.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km
New timing belt water pump ( ID Parts) 169,000 km

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Since this is the first timing belt post in the CRD Tech section and likely one that many folks do and will reference, I suggest a link to another thread that consolidates, clarifies, and in my experience offers the correct way to do the timing belt job. Just my $0.02 but I hope someone else finds it as helpful I as did (see KJJET's post on pg 2 and mine a few below it with a link to a photo procedure I also found very helpful)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78018

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I think I will just do my own timing belt. Can someone post the torque specs for the related bolts...etc...?