It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thermostat Ideas and Pics.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Squeeto wrote:
Quote:
I'll check with the scan tool tomorrow.

69'C and no error codes.

That's about exactly where mine failed at. I run between 66* and 70* C - engine warm, on a straight road, w/torque converter locked up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just want to congratulate people for maintaining a data based approach to this thread. Most places would have had this thread dissolve into a pissing match by now . . . Kudos to all.

2004 Dodge Ram Cummins, lots-o-mods
1990 YJ Repowered with 06 Cummins B3.3T
2005 Kubota BX1500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TDIwyse wrote:
Just want to congratulate people for maintaining a data based approach to this thread. Most places would have had this thread dissolve into a pissing match by now . . . Kudos to all.

We are too involved in being environmental crusaders:
1) We don't want to scrap parts that ca be re-engineered and put to good use.
2) We enjoy a good drink with Limes or Lemons.
3) We use the lime or lemon peals to passivate our stainless steel studs.
4) We put our used up lime and lemon peals into the garden so all of the nutrients are returned to nature.

Any of use who have done at least one of these operations has done a billion times more for the environment than the EPA or Congress has. :5SHOTS:

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
warp2diesel wrote:
TDIwyse wrote:

4) We put our used up lime and lemon peals into the garden so all of the nutrients are returned to nature.

Any of use who have done at least one of these operations has done a billion times more for the environment than the EPA or Congress has. :5SHOTS:

Hmm... Well, I'm good on #1 and #2, I'd wager I've used up enough limes and lemons to properly prepare all the stainless steel on the planet *hic*
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. :5SHOTS:

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
TDIwyse wrote:

Hmm... Well, I'm good on #1 and #2, I'd wager I've used up enough limes and lemons to properly prepare all the stainless steel on the planet *hic*
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. :5SHOTS:

First off, thanks TDIwyse, I too have noticed that even when we all have different ideas & all think our own idea is right, people are still kind in presenting their ideas and don't slander each other. Cheers! :5SHOTS: :5SHOTS: :5SHOTS:

Secondly, warp2diesel, I've got 1 and 2 down, and the stainless came in today so should have 3 and 4 soon. :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

So, as I was saying the Stainless steel rod came in today...I was surprised the delicate M6 rod thats over 6.5ft long wasn't bent at all. Cudos to McMaster-Carr's packaging efforts. lol

I just sent my ECU out to GDE today so time to start tearing the CRD down to the timing belt so I can get that done while its a useless scarecrow (no brain-lol). (THANKS TO GDE FOR RENTING THE TIMING TOOLS BTW!)

If the timing belt project doesn't take to long, I will get to machining an intermediate plate or 2 , cutting/passivating some studs, and testing the bonding agents/SS studs in some scrap aluminum (after a drink w/some lemon of course).

Thanks everyone for the ideas, the friendships, and the laughs! You all are like family!

:JEEPIN: I'll keep posting updates as this project rolls on. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

TDIwyse wrote:

I just replaced the t-stat with the OEM unit last night - '05, 78K miles. Whomever designed the cooling system must have had stock in a hose manufacturer. :furious: Good grief! There are hoses running everywhere!

It's a bit of a tedious job, but eventually I just pulled the airbox lid, turbo intake hose, and turbo outlet hose to get access and then only removing the old gasket was a bit of a pain.

I'm a bit miffed though that we would have a $100 thermostat that doesn't hold up. My '02 Jetta at 153K still has the OEM stat and it's still fine. It's $10 to replace.

Why couldn't they engineer the housing to be held together by those "v-band" clamps, like what is used to hold the EGR pipe to the intake manifold? The top and bottom of the housing would have flats, one side with an o-ring groove, and the v-band clamp would hold them together nice and tight, no?

Oh well....at least now it's back to normal temp readings, always between straight up to one notch to the left.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, BOTH of my CRDs are now running at 155 to 160ºF, so I'm officially in the market for some of these serviceable thermostats. Put me on the waiting list.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:39 am 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Ok, BOTH of my CRDs are now running at 155 to 160ºF, so I'm officially in the market for some of these serviceable thermostats. Put me on the waiting list.

I still have that old one if you need core to send to him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

New thermostat. Problem fixed. I guess it's been a long time since I saw the coolant gauge that high (halfway).

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:57 pm 
LOST Addict

danoid wrote:
New thermostat. Problem fixed. I guess it's been a long time since I saw the coolant gauge that high (halfway).

Do you have a scan tool to measure your actual coolant temp with the new stat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Completed prototype # 1 today. It is going in my jeep today or tomorrow when I get time.

If you look at the last 2 photos you can see why it is critical to find the right thermostat and correct mounting depth to allow the bypass block-off part of the thermostat to work just as the factory design did.

Here's some photos:

Machining Intermediate plate (recessed for thermostat housing)

Side by side comparisons
(don't worry about the used water outlet in the photo, all kits come with new water outlets)

Factory thermostat

Newly modified thermostat housing/intermediate plate/water outlet w/192* F thermostat

Just wanted to get some photos up for you so you could see the progress. :BANANA:

I just installed my new waterpump today...that was interesting to say the least...lol. Now its time to finish the timing belt installation and put humpty dumpty back together again.

I'll be back on here tonight and tomorrow so let me know what you think. :)

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Ideas and Pics **NEW COMPLETED HOUSING PHOTOS**
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Hmm... Looks pretty good so far, the dimensions aren't that much different than the factory for the outside sizes and the tube locations. So when can we expect the first kit availability? Turns out, I *do* have another thermostat housing from the other engine. Now the question is: Do I swap the lower-mileage housing into my CRD and send you the one with 81k on it... Or trust this one and send the 60k housing to be modded?

Decisions decisions. How difficult is it to dig an installed housing out? It looks like it is on top of the motor, but I didn't look too closely for the mounting points yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks great so far.

Waiting on the test run and report back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:58 am 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
Hmm... Looks pretty good so far, the dimensions aren't that much different than the factory for the outside sizes and the tube locations. So when can we expect the first kit availability? Turns out, I *do* have another thermostat housing from the other engine. Now the question is: Do I swap the lower-mileage housing into my CRD and send you the one with 81k on it... Or trust this one and send the 60k housing to be modded?

Decisions decisions. How difficult is it to dig an installed housing out? It looks like it is on top of the motor, but I didn't look too closely for the mounting points yet.

There is nothing I reuse inside the housing, so send me the one thats already out. The only part that gets reused is the housing itself made of aluminum (and the 2 original plastic tube elbows installed in the outside of the housing). Everything else is new so mileage doesn't matter. Just don't break either of the 2 plastic tubes off the housing and your set.

I do want to test prototype # 1 for a few miles before making more of these to ensure a quality part goes out to you all. I will keep you all up to date on the testing, temps I run, etc.

I will post part cost, kit part list, etc as soon as I add everything up (I'm pretty sure I can do it for $100 even, I'll let you know). There will also have to be a refundable core charge of about $100 if you don't have an old housing to send me first, just to cover myself on the cost of a new housing in case I don't get one back in return. I hope thats cool with you guys, though I don't expect to have issues with any of us on this forum here, I think we're all pretty honest and fair. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:08 am 
LOST Junkie

Just FYI I am also working on a light weight flex fan and adapter to go solid link to the engine and delete the fan clutch. I'm going to experiment with this and see if it positively or adversely effects fuel economy. This setup should be under $100 - much cheaper than a new fan clutch ($142) for those of us that have had them go out, and they will never go out again.

We currently have a heavy viscous fan clutch and a 5 blade solid fan. The flex fan would be direct link, but much less rotational mass. It is also 6 blades and has about 1/4" larger radius so should pull good CFM at low RPM's and flatten out a little bit in the higher RPM's for better high end economy than a locked fan clutch. Not sure if thats enough to make up for the fuel used because of the direct link, but time will tell. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 am 
LOST Addict

kapalczynski wrote:
There will also have to be a refundable core charge of about $100 if you don't have an old housing to send me first, just to cover myself on the cost of a new housing in case I don't get one back in return. I hope thats cool with you guys, though I don't expect to have issues with any of us on this forum here, I think we're all pretty honest and fair. :)

After the day I had today, losing $40 in diesel fuel and 5 hours... Plus getting to visit a courthouse on Friday for some BS 7 year old traffic thing that I have no memory of, all due to a member from here that decided to back out of a sale AFTER I was already on the way to meet... I would rather have stayed home today. *most* of the members here are probably stand-up guys, but when you get that one that decides to be a pile of deep fried crap... It will cost you big.

Do the core charge, cover your own exposure.

And count me in for the fan gig too - Even tho mine isn't broke, I'm all about less weight on the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
danoid wrote:

Do you have a scan tool to measure your actual coolant temp with the new stat?

Yes. Temperature went from 150°-155° F to 170°-175° F in normal driving.

And I have HAD IT with spring loaded clamps!

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

Geordi
Quote:
Do the core charge, cover your own..

I agree. This is just good business.

Kapalczynski
Quote:
That's about exactly where mine failed at. I run between 66* and 70* C

Running celcius? Are you in Canada or U.S.A.?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Squeeto wrote:
Kapalczynski
Quote:
That's about exactly where mine failed at. I run between 66* and 70* C

Running celcius? Are you in Canada or U.S.A.?

lol I was just using the same unit of measurement as the post before me for comparison. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 am 
LOST Member

danoid wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
And I have HAD IT with spring loaded clamps!

BEST money I ever spent was buying one of those remote cable operated locking spring clamp pliers. Works on almost any size clamp and makes the job 10x easier than dinking around with vise grips or channel locks.

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 41  Next