It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thermostat Ideas and Pics **NEW COMPLETED HOUSING PHOTOS**
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sign me up when you are ready to roll out a production model!
Cliff :JEhttp://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=edit&f=5&p=572627#EPIN:

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Ideas and Pics.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
Ok, BOTH of my CRDs are now running at 155 to 160ºF, so I'm officially in the market for some of these serviceable thermostats. Put me on the waiting list.

I still have that old one if you need core to send to him.

Can you post up the pictures you have on the thermostat re + re?
The links are all dead.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25852

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kapalczynski wrote:
I'll be back on here tonight and tomorrow so let me know what you think. :)

You are the Man!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice work, anxiously awaiting test results. :BANANA:

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
Ok, BOTH of my CRDs are now running at 155 to 160ºF, so I'm officially in the market for some of these serviceable thermostats. Put me on the waiting list.

I still have that old one if you need core to send to him.

Can you post up the pictures you have on the thermostat re + re?
The links are all dead.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25852

Got the pictures up, but I think the diagrams from the FSM are lost permanently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I just wanted to get the preliminary results up. No scantool, but I got a pic of the dash. :) This is with new 192* thermostat. Now I'm I am going for a drive with the scantool. I'll report back in an hour or two.

It looks like it is running somewhere between 190* F and 200* F*

GDE pic for comparison... *note* there is 40* difference between the top mark and the mark just to the left of half.

Last edited by kapalczynski on Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Quote:
Got the pictures up

Thanks Sir Sam

Kapalczynski
You are a quick worker. I should remind you now- when you check postal rates, make sure you ask for rates to Canada too :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Squeeto wrote:
Quote:
Got the pictures up

Thanks Sir Sam

Kapalczynski
You are a quick worker. I should remind you now- when you check postal rates, make sure you ask for rates to Canada too :wink:

Will do. :)

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Ideas and Pics **NEW THERMOSTAT TEMP RESULTS**
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

kapalczynski wrote:
I just wanted to get the preliminary results up. No scantool, but I got a pic of the dash. :) This is with new 192* thermostat. Now I'm I am going for a drive with the scantool. I'll report back in an hour or two.

It looks like it is running somewhere between 190* F and 200* F

GDE pic for comparison... *note* there is 40* difference between the top mark and the mark just to the left of half.

Scantool shows 190.5* F at a constant cruise with torque converter locked. :) Temp briefly went up to 199* F at a full throttle highway merge from a stop to ~80 mph.

Just filled up. I'll post fuel economy with GDE tune and 192* as soon as I fill up again. I have high hopes. :)

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Ideas **NEW-192° F Thermostat temp results**
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kapalzynski,

great stuff there..... I have a question: Due to the difference in height from the OEM unit, is the unit going in tight? Can you take a few pics of the unit installed in the engine bay?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 pm 
LOST Member

FYI, i looked into how much more efficient the VM 2.8L would be comparing the 160F thermostat to a 195F thermostat. it worked out to .3% efficiency increase.

still a cool project and i will defer to the results of the testing, maybe try switching from a 195 to a 160 on alternating tanks to double verify any difference in MPG. if you get even 1 mpg, it would pay back at $1 every 312 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ripple wrote:
FYI, i looked into how much more efficient the VM 2.8L would be comparing the 160F thermostat to a 195F thermostat. it worked out to .3% efficiency increase.

still a cool project and i will defer to the results of the testing, maybe try switching from a 195 to a 160 on alternating tanks to double verify any difference in MPG. if you get even 1 mpg, it would pay back at $1 every 312 miles.

And if your stock one is bad, this design is the same price, and easier maintenance for the rest of the vehicle life. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am 
LOST Addict

Ripple wrote:

The real question is, how much would it help during winter weather?

For me I drive a very short drive, about 1.5 miles, the CRD never fully warms up, the viscous heater is running constantly, and the Jeep just never really gets warm. Driving like this nets me 18-19MPG, YUCK, during the summer the same driving would never drop below 22MPG.

If this would increase my winter mileage it would be worth it.

Not to mention getting cabin heat faster!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:15 am 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
Ripple wrote:

For me I drive a very short drive, about 1.5 miles, the CRD never fully warms up, the viscous heater is running constantly, and the Jeep just never really gets warm. Driving like this nets me 18-19MPG, YUCK, during the summer the same driving would never drop below 22MPG.

Since it opens later, the cabin heat would be hotter, on a short drive, if you never hit your operating temp now, you probably won't with the 192* either

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:15 am 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
Kapalzynski,

great stuff there..... I have a question: Due to the difference in height from the OEM unit, is the unit going in tight? Can you take a few pics of the unit installed in the engine bay?

If you can tell by the pictures on this forum (page 4) it's almost exactly the same size/shape. I did not have any clearance issues, but everyones jeeps are slightly different i'm sure. Just make sure your wire harness and hoses don't rub and you're good. :) Plenty of hood clearance if thats what you mean. I'll snap a few photos tomorrow after work :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

kapalczynski wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Ripple wrote:

Since it opens later, the cabin heat would be hotter, on a short drive, if you never hit your operating temp now, you probably won't with the 192* either

Yup, I doubt it would hit operating temp fully, but if the thermostat was opening partially before then this could improve my winter mileage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
Yup, I doubt it would hit operating temp fully, but if the thermostat was opening partially before then this could improve my winter mileage.

In your case I would just disable the VH and save the economy. lol It is probably that your engine is cold and not so much the VH that kills it though.

I was thinking of that just the other day. Is it really necessary? does it help it warm up that much faster? does it need it, or is it mainly for comfort in the cabin? I could wait 3 more minutes for warm heat if it saved on economy every cold startup.

I currently have an AC compressor disable switch for that reason...so when I run defrost I'm not killing my economy to heat my windshield running the AC compressor(yes it automatically runs the compressor in defrost mode even when AC is off and you are on hot. :()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 am 
LOST Member

kapalczynski wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

In your case I would just disable the VH and save the economy. lol It is probably that your engine is cold and not so much the VH that kills it though.

I was thinking of that just the other day. Is it really necessary? does it help it warm up that much faster? does it need it, or is it mainly for comfort in the cabin? I could wait 3 more minutes for warm heat if it saved on economy every cold startup.

I currently have an AC compressor disable switch for that reason...so when I run defrost I'm not killing my economy to heat my windshield running the AC compressor(yes it automatically runs the compressor in defrost mode even when AC is off and you are on hot. :()

Would you happen to have specs for the A/C comp disable?

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:39 am 
LOST Junkie

Rixram wrote:
kapalczynski wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Would you happen to have specs for the A/C comp disable?

kapalczynski wrote:
Here are some Images I just put together.

I didn't take any pics under the fuse block while i was doing it and haven't pulled it back apart for pics, but I can if you need it. Heres a few pics I just took:

I imagine the traction control, and the Viscous Heater (not sure if its a good idea to do VH yet) could be disabled in the same way as the AC and ABS right off the fuse block. I don't have TC because mine is a 2005.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 pm 
LOST Addict

FYI you can modify the AC control panel so that the compressor doesn't come on automatically on floor and defrost.

Then your AC button controls when the AC is on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next