It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: 192º Thermostat - Parts Diagram/dimensions added page 1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:04 pm 
LOST Addict

For those CRD owners who can not afford, or will not pay for a Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly, Mark Kapalczynski's design is the best alternative.

A lot of thought and consideration was given to his design, and he took the time and trouble to source out an appropriate sized thermostat valve that is virtually the same size as the O.E. valve. In doing this he avoids any possible issues with proper coolant flow through the O.E. housing.

His design does not incorporate any welding, and therefore there are no risks associated with weld failures.

This was the design I was going to copy, (and give Mark credit for it, unlike certain others on this forum), until I realized that sourcing the caps for his design was going to be a nightmare, as well as the rather daunting logistical issues, (more for me than Kap because I have to ship across an international border for most customers).

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Kap,
I hope your little girl is doing good now. We take our little one up to childrens hospital in Denver every few months.

Are you able to find the time to work on any more thermostats? I was wondering what the wait list is like?

81 Austin Mini--automatic, 1 liter of raw power
69 Cougar--398" of pure torque, when it ran

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:51 pm 
LOST Member

I wanted to update this thread with my thermostat rebuild pictures! The inside pressed bushing is still missing. Need to machine that last bushing to complete the build.

My sincere thanks to kapalczynski for providing the plans and pictures. I would like to note that I ended up using 1/4"x20NC threaded studs and I had to drill 5/16" holes in the adapter disk to fit those 1/4" studs. I used red lock tight to secure the threaded studs. Everything else is to the dimensions given as per kapalczynski's plans.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 am 
LOST Newbie

I hope you can build me one?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:32 am 
LOST Member

I will have to see if it actually works before I mess with someone else's thermostat!

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:13 pm 
LOST Addict

pjigar wrote:
I will have to see if it actually works before I mess with someone else's thermostat!

It will most definitely work. Kapalcynski's design is what I started with when I took on the project of designing a serviceable thermostat upgrade over three years ago. My partner and I abandoned the Kapalczynski design because sourcing any reasonable quantity of those caps would be too difficult.

There was also the issue of increasing coolant flow that I wanted to address as per the strong recommendations of the Stant engineer I consulted with. You can't do that with the O.E. thermostat housing. Another concern was the fact that the O.E. thermostat housing are made from castings that were never meant to be re-used.

However, given those limitations, Mark Kapalcynski put a lot of thought and effort into his design. He chose a thermostat valve that is close to ideal for the size of the housing - unlike other modified housings - and it is bolted together, which should prove to be more reliable in the long run than the welded upgrade O.E. thermostat that is available. It has proven to be a workable design in real-world field testing.

Do not for a second think, however, that this design is a match for mine.

D:\CANON_DC\DCIM\100CANON\MODEL%20001%20IMAGES%20TO%20E-MAIL\IMG_1862;%20SMALLER%20FOR%20E-MAILING.JPG

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

pjigar wrote:
I wanted to update this thread with my thermostat rebuild pictures! The inside pressed bushing is still missing. Need to machine that last bushing to complete the build.

My sincere thanks to kapalczynski for providing the plans and pictures. I would like to note that I ended up using 1/4"x20NC threaded studs and I had to drill 5/16" holes in the adapter disk to fit those 1/4" studs. I used red lock tight to secure the threaded studs. Everything else is to the dimensions given as per kapalczynski's plans.

Thanks for the shout out. I was more than happy to share what I came up with as I did not see it as a money maker, just a way to help other CRD owners out. It's great to see someone using the plans and making their CRD a little happier! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

69Hcode wrote:
Kap,
I hope your little girl is doing good now. We take our little one up to childrens hospital in Denver every few months.

Are you able to find the time to work on any more thermostats? I was wondering what the wait list is like?

Thanks for the concern for our new baby! She is doing very well and is about 1yr 5 months old now. Shes pulling herself to standing and seems to be enjoying life. :) My hopes and prayers are with you and your little one. I know how stressful it can be to deal with hospitals all the time.

As far as the thermostats, I find time here and there, but it is quite scattered. I am slowly working down the list starting with everyone that has already donated a core. I just updated the list today (1st page of this thread), but do not plan on adding anyone else to the list until the customers cores I currently have are finished/sent as I don't have much time to work on these anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Waiting List is updated. Some people have moved on to other cars, etc so I expect it has gotten shorter though I am keeping everyone on the list and going down the core donated people first.

I just completed a batch of 6 units with brass fittings for the following people and sent them all a PM:

fastRob
crawdad-480
Buster
TJ2
Sir Sam
ColoCRD

After sending the messages out I looked at peoples last login dates and it appears only Sir Sam has been active on the forum in the last year. If I don't hear back from people, they will be temporarily skipped until they contact me. This may mean that I have 5 units ready to pass down to the next people on the waiting list who sent me cores. Once everyone who sent me cores get their units, I will go down the list from the top with the leftover cores as they get completed.

This is the only way I can be fair to everyone.

The next few people in line who sent me cores that will get the available units if the above don't claim them are:

ChesterCRD
grywlfbg
AZ CRD
ATXKJ
0ilburner

I imagine some people have sold their Jeeps, etc and no longer need them so if they have moved on I want to make sure their units go to those in need.

I hope this makes sense to everyone as I want this to be a fair process.

- Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
That seems abundantly fair - welcome back to the group and thanks for all that you have done! Does this mean that you are back on this side of the equator and the planet?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
That seems abundantly fair - welcome back to the group and thanks for all that you have done! Does this mean that you are back on this side of the equator and the planet?

Yep! Thanks gerodi! We've been back and settled for about a year. Our daughter decided to come out about 2 months early (right after we got back and bought our house) and was in the NICU for over a month, but she is doing very well now so things are settling down a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Well, as you can probably see, things here have progressed with these CRDs... Many options for many things are now available and the vehicle overall has proven to be a very unique entry in the overall citizens of the road. Nothing really like it out there.

Glad your little one is doing well - I don't have kids, but the chance of that kind of experience scares the crap out of me. I don't even like the helpless feeling when I have to take a pet to the vet.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Welcome back Kap.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow welcome back.

Ya I'm around. I'm still interested.

Back in CO springs?

Want to buy an 06 CRD?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

So r u selling a 2nd jeep? Were pretty settled with cars now though i did look for a grand cherokee and a liberty in San Antonio when i first got back but there was nothing down here. We ended up with a forester turbo and a taurus sho twin turbo. Both are pretty fun and the forester gets about the same economy as the liberty did. Just not as off road capable. Not much to do off road here anyway. Someday i hope to go back to Colorado again. I sent u a pm gor the thermostat info. Thx for the welcome back!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:06 am 
LOST Member

Hello Mr. Kapalczynski,
I am relatively new member of the LOST community with 2006 Liberty CRD Limited @~130K miles. Got the head gasket leak recently and in the process of fixing it. I thought that while I am at it, it would be nice to upgrade the thermostat. I am wondering if you happen to have any extras in your production line? (of course after previous customers are satisfied!) If yes, I would appreciate you to please drop me a line your with price and list of the included parts. I may ship you a core which is going to be my old one. I do not hope to get the upgrade right away, but after the above
mentioned engine overhaul with freshly gained experience and knowledge of the engine I should be able to swap the thermostat without much trouble.
All the best and thanks in advance!
Alex

P.S. Tried to send you an e-mail, but I guess your address registered here might have changed. Also, I am interested not just in assembled ready to go unit, but in any available parts as well. Surprisingly, thermostats and body are still readily available, so I am after the custom made pieces in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Both of my CRD KJ's have this t-stat. Its a great mod. My engines now operate at higher temps regularly, while NOT overheating......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to have a busted OEM thermostat? I am willing to pay reasonable charge and shipping; plan to implement the design of Mark Kapalczynski, need an old thermostat body. Will share my building experience here.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 am 
LOST Addict

BoarX wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone happen to have a busted OEM thermostat? I am willing to pay reasonable charge and shipping; plan to implement the design of Mark Kapalczynski, need an old thermostat body. Will share my building experience here.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

There was a new one for sale in the love that torque forum, but I cannot seem to find it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 am 
LOST Member

Given the lack of replies from the community to my inquiry about old OEM thermostats for modification, I am wondering if the next best option might be to get and install a new Crown thermostat, which is significantly cheaper than OEM in order to work on modifying my original one?

Looks like this is the right one for 2.8 CRD, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive ... B00D3R1CN6

or even this (presumably also Crown)

https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-Thermostat ... dpSrc=srch

And yes, I am aware of brittle and leaking plastic nipples on Crown, but I don't see much difficulty in re-sealing the nipples in advance or replacing them with brass ones altogether, even if this requires re-threading. But hey, Crown promises 188 deg, this is just 4 deg shy of 192 :) It is still a marked improvement over 176 OEM setting. It was reported to sometimes leak along the seal, so with it on I will have better cabin temperatures during the winter months and good incentive to not delay modification of my original unit per Kapalczynski.

Opinions are appreciated!
Thanks,
A.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next