It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: 192º Thermostat - Parts Diagram/dimensions added page 1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 am 
LOST Junkie

bugnout wrote:
Hey Mark, Finnaly got the new thermostat installed as part of the work to replace the head gasket, and it works great. Now that its below freezing here, the cabin is nice and toasty and the temp gauge is rock solid. Sure want to thank you for the high quality of your work. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Thanks Again.

I appreciate the compliment and am super happy for you! I put a lot of heart into the design and even more into pushing myself to produce what I can when i have time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:06 am 
LOST Junkie

Update:

Haven't had much time at all due to a lot of travelling. Also hard to keep motivated on this when i have so little free time and would rather be doing other things.

I am and always have been very motivated to design new things, however I have figured out over this project that I am easily bored with mass production.

I truly wish I had more time to dedicate to this project so I could enjoy it more.

Currently to avoid the 50hz power and motor overheating issues I have a 3000w / 6000w surge inverter that outputs the correct 110v 60hz U.S. power I can run off the car to run the lathe, but it only allows running at lower speeds because the higher speeds draw too much current. I am not sure I can machine fast enough for a great finish as I haven't tried the new inverter for that yet. Thankfully all the units I do have are machined flat already.

I have mentioned I have a smaller lathe for machining the insert pieces that will run off 100-250V power and has a DC motor that works perfectly for the small stuff. I am looking at getting an attachment for that mini lathe to raise the headstock higher and give more machining room as it is a very accurate lathe and has no temp issues like the large lathe on the 50hz.

I have some free time today so am goin to go out and wok a bit. Hope you all have a great holidy season and Christmas!

Also, I've mentioned this before, but please do not contace me on the forum but send e an email at awdv8@yahoo.com if you need to get in touch. My lostjeeps PM box is full and most of it is contact info for people I can't delete. If you recently PM'd me and haven't got a reply this is why so just shoot me an email an I'll get back to you.

- Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:13 am 
LOST Junkie

dgeist wrote:
Mark, what's the difference in time to add the brass fittings vs. leaving it with the default plastic (and do you have parts extras)? I know I'm next on the list and figure I should tell you if I want the brass :)

Also, is there any concern over galvanic corrosion between the brass and aluminum? I suppose as long as there's no electrolyte between the threads, its okay...

Dan

kapalczynski wrote:
I don't believe corrosion to be an issue as the Antifreeze is formulated to have brass in the system seeing as it was already used in the previous thermostat housing in the thermostat and the factory temp sensor that screws into the housing is brass as well.

That being said, I cannot guarantee the brass is the same formulation and cannot guarantee no corrosion. It's your call if you want the plastic or the brass. I will tell you however the fittings are sealed/installed with JB Weld which is fairly inert to most chemicals and I highly doubt we will see any corrosion other than the traditional slight greening of the brass due to exposure of oxygen.

As far as lead time...I have 2 more sets of brass machined already so there won't be a difference for you. If everyone goes brass the lead time may compound a bit down the line though so others may get longer lead times.

In addition to that...the brass is fairly simple to machine and a pleasure to work with compared to aluminum. It chips and doesn't string while machining. It shouldn't hold things up much.

Sorry, I don't think I got back to you on a price. Prices/options are still current on page 1 of the thread, but Brass fittings are available for $12 each or $24 for both to replace the plastic ports if yours are damaged or if you simply want to upgrade to brass for longevity. As far as I can tell your plastic fittings are fine, but I haven't pressure tested the unit yet to see if they are leaking around the fittings. Some of the older units leak around the plastic fittings where they appear to be glued in or held in with some sort of adhesive. The leaking ones are easy to get out, the newer units are harder to get out w/o breaking them. I have never broken the large plastic port removing, it is a pretty durable piece. The elbow I have seen broken off 2x on cores and have broken one myself removing it to upgrade to brass.

At the moment I have enough parts for brass for you. If you want to keep plastic, but want them resealed i have extra plastic elbow spares in case yours breaks coming out, but they are used - removed from other cores. It's all entirely up to you.

For an update on your unit, I just finished cutting both gaskets and cut and ground the studs to length. All I have left is removing/sealing/replacing the studs, removing/cleaning threads/sealing the ports (brass or plastic your option). At this point I just need to know what ports you want and I can finish your unit in a few hours and then pressure test it. I'll shoot you a PM with this info as well in case you aren't on the forum today.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Update: Accomplished a lot tonight. Its 2 am and I'm gonna crash so I can get some sleep b4 tomorrow. Dgeist's unit is nearly complete. Studs are cut/installed/sealed, brass is installed/sealed, gaskets made. Waiting for it to cure to assemble/install thermostat and then pressure test.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Are you still manufacturing these?

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

weeks101 wrote:
Are you still manufacturing these?

At this time I am only working through what cores I have available here and am not accepting any new additions to the list.

- Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Shoot. :-(

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

kapalczynski wrote:
Update: Accomplished a lot tonight. Its 2 am and I'm gonna crash so I can get some sleep b4 tomorrow. Dgeist's unit is nearly complete. Studs are cut/installed/sealed, brass is installed/sealed, gaskets made. Waiting for it to cure to assemble/install thermostat and then pressure test.

Dgeists unit is rdy to ship. On to the next one. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

weeks101 wrote:
Shoot. :-(

Yeah, sorry. Just trying to get through what I have here and that is a challenge with as little free time as I have now that I work later/longer days.

V/r,

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not having the time nor the inclination to search, where do I send a T-stat core for rebuild? It's just a donation, got a factory unit putting out heat to the heater and don't need the old one. i'd rather donate it to a fabber to "improve the breed".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iamtheoldman wrote:
Not having the time nor the inclination to search, where do I send a T-stat core for rebuild? It's just a donation, got a factory unit putting out heat to the heater and don't need the old one. i'd rather donate it to a fabber to "improve the breed".

best bet is to check with TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK - he's trying to build a copy of Kap's thermostat design.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74131

I think Mark's just trying to finish up what he'd started - and he's already done a great design and posted info on page one of this thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:29 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah, not looking for new cores, especially shipping making you ship them all the way to Australia. Thanks so much for the offer. :) I just got off the phone with Jeff and his design is coming along. We had a chat about some of the outlet port sizes, etc. I believe he is about to finalize his design and should be ready for production soon.

Out with the old and in with the new. :)

:frankie:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 am 
LOST Junkie

Just an update. Not much to say here because I've has little time to work on the project lately. I moved the lathe from my garage to a friends shop where I'll have more room to work and not have to clean up/pack away things between working on it.

Previously we've been gone on vacation the last month and the three months prior we have been helping our new commander get settled here in Australia. He hasn't received his household goods yet and they typically take 3-6 months to arrive. In the mean time we have been helping him out finding a house and a car on the local economy and get settled and spun up at work. We are not located on a base and are on our own out here. There are only five of us in my unit and we have to take care of each other.

In the next few weeks I hope to hit the project hard. I will need to order some brass fittings for the 90º elbow fittings I make and Mc Master Carr no longer ships to APO addresses so I will have to route them through a friend in the states.

to Sum up, haven't done much lately, hope to pick the project up to full speed again in the nest few weeks now that I will have some more time.

- Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:39 am 
LOST Junkie

Ordered the brass elbows and brass tube to machine - enough for 24 units. Shipped to my family in the states to forward to me since McMaster Carr no longer ships to APO addresses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:01 am 
LOST Junkie

Just a quick update. I've been very busy lately, but managed to squeeze in some shop time this weekend.

I finished the machined insert, installed it, cut and installed the stainless studs and installed the brass fittings in two units.

CATCRD & papaindigo's units should be ready by the end of the week pending good results of the assembly and pressure test.

Please shoot me an email at mark.kapalczynski@yahoo.com to remind me of what thermostat you want (though I think i only have 192ºF in stock) and to setup payment. PayPal has worked fine so that would be preferable.

I am planning on taking leave and heading to the states for the holidays from end of Nov through beginning of Jan so we need to work fast on getting me your addresses, payment, etc or plan on taking care of it in January.

- Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:35 am 
LOST Junkie

Update:

Two items of business:

1) CATCRD no longer needs his core I remanufactured and I decided I will offer it to the next in line on the list that has not sent me a core.

Reasons are:

A) allows some of the others on the list that havent sent me cores to get a unit
B) keeps original cores with original owners down the line in case a unit is ever defective or unrepairable.

2) papaindigo's unit is paid for and sent out 20 Nov 2014.

- Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 am 
LOST Member

PM sent.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Are you still building these? If so what is your lead time and cost?
Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:45 pm 
LOST Member

Mark,

Although this is an old thread, and you haven't checked in for a while, I hope you get an email that there is a recent post.
You have not responded to any of my PMs.

It's been 5 1/2 years, and at this point I have to ask for my money back.

You may keep the brand new OEM core I sent to you.

Please contact me to let me know how it would be best for you to send my money back to me.

Bruno.....

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

DocB,

I will happily refund your money. I sent you an email to work out the details.

I apologize for my lack of attention to your PM's and the thread as we have been moving house back to the states and I had a pregnant wife.

To everyone,

I had a lot less free time in Australia with my demanding work schedule than I used to in Colorado. I am now back in the states, moved into our house and have the garage setup.

Unfortunately for the project, our life has changed dramatically since this project started. We now have a brand new newborn baby girl to take care of. She was bore about 2 months early and spent that time in the NICU about 2 hours away from our home. Life has been absolutely flat out busy. We are now just past what would have been her normal due date and are basically at the new born stage of sleepless nights and trying to stay awake during the day.

I am just now catching up with the thread and project to try to figure out where I left off. The original cores were mixed up by the movers consolidating your boxes so I don't technically know whos is whos, but I have yet to have a bad core that could not be used.

The front page list is updated. I definitely will not be taking on new units, but will continue to build the cores I have in order by date of people that sent me them. As I will not have much free time to devote to this project, This will probably continue to go slow.

If a unit is finished and I do not get a response it will go to the next on the list as I know many people have moved on to different vehicles and there are others waiting desperately for one of these units.

- Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next