It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Samco or OEM CAC Hose
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How tight does one torque these to? I would hate to break the plastic on the cooler, as well as have a hose blow off.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just run the clamp screw down snug and give it a slight extra twick, no godzilla. Drive for a couple of days and recheck. Should be fine. Like I said elsewhere be sure the hose routing is clear of rub points. You won't crush the plastic unless you put the clamp right over the end of the plastic fitting (don't ask; but I know with respect to the airbox hose).

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have those nylon lock nuts on the hose clamps that throw me off on how tight to do them. I checked them and the routing and it looks good. I saw that grey sensor but was able to rotate the hose to clear it, and the fenderwel. Thanks for the tips!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:02 pm 
LOST Member

tonycrd wrote:
linewarbr wrote:
No one, to my knowledge, has yet had a big enough set to order the Urban Camo - you could be the first!

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

I am about to order Samco's...

However, I hear the urban camo ones make the exhaust smell like smoked turkey leg, not like fried chicken like the others do...

Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:40 pm 
LOST Addict

DadsDiesel wrote:
tonycrd wrote:
linewarbr wrote:
No one, to my knowledge, has yet had a big enough set to order the Urban Camo - you could be the first!

However, I hear the urban camo ones make the exhaust smell like smoked turkey leg, not like fried chicken like the others do...

Smoked turkey leg? Don't be silly, they smell like fried turkey legs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:25 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:
DadsDiesel wrote:
tonycrd wrote:

Smoked turkey leg? Don't be silly, they smell like fried turkey legs.

No, no....

I am quite sure the report I heard was the smell was distinctly "smoked" and not of the "fried" variety.

My source says that the fried chicken smell comes from under the hood with the other colors. With the urban camo ones, the smell emits from the tailpipe.

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Just FYI it looks as if ISA Racing still sells the Samco Sport hose taps:

http://www.isa-racing.com/index.php/cat/c786_Zubehoer-fuer-Silikonschlaeuche.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jinstall wrote:

And what would one use these taps for?

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

arengant wrote:
jinstall wrote:

Installing a boost gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wonder if those fittings could be installed in the new OEM hoses?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sir Sam wrote:
arengant wrote:
jinstall wrote:

Installing a boost gauge.

Ah, forgive my inexperience, is this the best way or just easiest to get a boost reading?

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:10 am 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Worth the cost to me, besides I like the pretty colors. More to the point; the Samcos lack the alignment witness marks that the OEM hoses have at each end (a little notch that lines up with a tab where the hose installs). No big deal but you do need to pay attention to the routing of the Samcos to make sure they don't rub on anything. Just slip the hose clamps on the Samcos; install the hoses without tightening the clamps; check clearance along the routing (I had to take a file to some plastic "fins" on a gray vertical plug on the driver's side) twisting the hoses at each end to get the needed clearance; tighten hose clamps. Your are done although IMHO it's a good idea to recheck clamp tightness after a bit of driving.

I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the OEM hose on the RT side, turbo to cooler, is approximately 1/2 inch smaller in diameter than a Samco. 55037729AC necks down to 2 1/2 " right at the turbo. The Samco hose is about 2" all the way up. That in itself has got to make SOME improvement in air flow since the left hose is already larger.

I ordered from BoostController at noon on Friday before Labour Day. I had them shipped to a parcel pickup in Port Huron Michigan. They called me on Saturday morning and I had them in my hands by 2PM. Now THAT's service! That weekend, I installed them and also installed a Provent filter. I also pulled the plug on the MAF sensor and my 2006 has never run so good. Absolutely no "turbo lag" and I fail to see any smoke when leaving a stop light etc. It runs like a sewing machine. I also cleaned the boost sensor, then put 5 L of Mobil-1 in, along with a liter of Fram synthetic oil stabilizer. It remains to be seen in say, 5000 miles what the boost sensor looks like. My guess is that is will be relatively clean.

I'd like to find out it the SEGR mod is still available so I can clear the MIL and still have the EGR valve remain closed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to go for the "Green" thing, but I just can't see my way clear to spend that kind of money at the moment.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I thought that I'd tightened the new Samco clamps sufficiently, but when I went for a test run there was a horrible noise and the car went into 'limp mode'. I pulled over and lifted the hood. The hose hose on the left had come off at the intake manifold. I pushed it back on and idled the short distance back home. Like a jerk, I'd left the ratchet and socket back at the house. I don't know what the torque specs are but I'm sure I met or exceeded them when I re-tightened that clamp, as well as the others. Like someone else said earlier, I was a little apprehensive at the plastic cooler ends.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me if the Turbo intake pipe is only available in Genuine form only? Samco dont make one do they :( Mines cactus..weaping..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:52 am 
LOST Newbie

dastrix wrote:
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me if the Turbo intake pipe is only available in Genuine form only? Samco dont make one do they :( Mines cactus..weaping..

From what I can (not) find in the Internet, the only way to replace the air box to turbo hose is to either buy an OEM one, or find a universal hose from one of the umpteen suppliers of silicone hoses that would fit. When I installed my CAC hoses, I was satisfied that the inlet hose was still in good shape. In hindsight, what I SHOULD have done, was taken it off when I had access and measured it in all aspects, taking note of the side inlet for the CVC hose and found a replacement. I could change it later when it needed it or when I had nothing better to do. It also crossed my mind that the CVC hose could be plumbed into the air box somewhere, somehow which would make it easier to find a suitable inlet hose to the turbo.

Perhaps someone else has replaced the OEM hose with a universal one and provide the part number and source. That would certainly help a lot.

Thanx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:37 pm 
LOST Addict

dastrix wrote:
Hello All,

OEM only, check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60636

Also welcome to the forum, be sure to check out the noob guide.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you :) have checked it out!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just put on my samco's today. I ordered the Turbo logic clamps but after looking them over and puting them on the turbo side, I decided to use the OEM ones on the intake side. For one thing, as stated, its tuff to find a good tension without going too tight on the nuts. Those 4 small spot welds worry me on those clamps, Murphies law. That design clamp is best suited with a spring load under the nut like the Cummins ones used on the Dodge. Those are great in that you just tighten untill the spring is compressed. The OEM's are stamped Mercidies and they look like good quality worm drives that give you an accurate tension feel. If I knew this, I would have just stuck with OEM's.

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set
My beloved oil hammers....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:11 pm 
LOST Addict

I would like to order those SAMCO boost taps listed on that German site, but I don't know any German. Could anyone help with an order?

Thanks,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:25 pm 
LOST Addict

There is a way to make windows translated for you i can't remember how but you could easily look it up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Google translate should help you out, http://translate.google.com/

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km
New timing belt water pump ( ID Parts) 169,000 km

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next