It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What did I do to my Jeep...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone, as a owner of 2006 Jeep CRD limited I decided to create an info sheet of what I have done to it.
First of all I did oil catch system from EGR, used setup from commercial high air pressure system. It seems to work fine for me.
-
Next I did get done was the TQ recall, but I am not very happy with the reprogramming of the transmission and engine. Dealer detuned the motor significantly and changed fluid pressure and shift points on the transmission. It tends to not downshift when cold, causing it to be quite dangerous if you have to step on it to get out of the way, or even merge in, chatters when full throttle at 90km/h. Plus it feels like it is choking the motor, can’t feel the power as I did before the recall [Even with GDE reflashing back to max power made little difference]. It feels as if it’s using and wasting all the power in the transmission instead of putting it to the ground. [Avoid it, if you can.]
Best mod was the Green Diesel Engineering ECU flash, the boys did some phenomenal work on getting the power and fuel economy compare to stock. [1.5 hrs steady highway drive at 100 km/h averaged 6.4 l/100km (34mpg)]
Just night and day difference in comparison!!!
Next improvement was the thermostat pain, which is just too overpriced at $200+ vs $10. And yes, the stock original thermostat is 160 we need 180 degrees to realize how much quieter and economical the engine can be.
I purchased HIGH FLOW thermostat from GM, cut it to proper size diameter. Outside diameter of a neck of the inlet of a radiator; just where the hose slips on. (Even inside diameter of the hose is good size)
[Make sure it is not too big, as not to let it stick out over the neck and cut the hose when clamped. Not too small, to keep it from falling inside the rad.]
Also you need to drill 3/8 hole to allow the warm coolant to travel to the thermostat, to open properly!!!
[I found this pic of drilled thermostat on the web pic search, not sure who to credit. Let me know]
I’d like it closer to where the original thermostat is. But it will functionally fit there only one way.
[spring towards the engine]
Next was timing belt, water pump job. Timing belt is easy and water pump is not even covered in recommended maintenance.
So I decided to give it a try myself and succeeded.
Timing job is covered, with only one thing I’d have to add, is that I make my own marks with whiteout for ink. First I align factory marks and then I add my own, for each moving part. The marking is very beneficial. For the water pump, the back sprocket cover has to go. The thermostat housing and all hoses in the way should move. Cover the heat exchanger under the thermostat housing, otherwise the tools and nuts end up in hard to get to places.
You can see the nut and socket down there in the mirror. Magnet tool is the only solution.
To get the pump out, I had to remove the elbow first. There I needed ¼” ratchet and 8mm deep socket; that did the closer two. Third one I managed to get out with open end wrench and a lot of patience.
Rest is straight forward. Once the heat shield comes off, there is third bolt that can be removed with open end wrench.
Nuts to get to…
This brings good satisfaction to me, that the water pump job was necessary to be done. See the tiny leak on the bottom.

Position of two nuts; this is why engine cover plate has to come off, and the new water pump.

Hoping to catch a thread putting the viscous fan on almost drove me to insanity, so now I have electric fan. Discussions on efficiency and benefits, has been discussed to death, with no proof either way. My take is that in slow moving traffic or idling is where electric fan wins. Just because that is where engine needs cooling and there is no load on the motor. Also, I would like to think, that throttle response is much better, not having to pull the blades. Draw from the electric motor on the alternator is not enough to make a noticeable difference. Battery can handle that. Noticing rust all over, I purchased the electronic rust inhibitor. [We’ll see later how that works- maybe static strap would be a good idea to help it.] On top, yearly I get Krown rust control, oil treatment [Spraying the whole vehicle inside out].

Next I'd like to get lift kit to a bit higher because of the front being too low, then skid plates.
Any comments and tips are welcome
-------

Post subject: Re: What did I do to my Jeep...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:26 pm 
LOST Member

Wow now you go me thinking is there thermo that will go next to stock thermo with spring facing in? Any way to attach with strap over boths thermos to hold it in place slide factory hose over them? Welding would be great idea but not all of us have access to alum welding equipment and Meizer $70 is extra money. Your location is interesting but could there be a chance of it moving around inside hose.

Is there a procedure for draining coolant out, I did not even notice radiator cap on jeep. I know on BMWs there is bleeder screw for air you open while running motor in closed system.

Post subject: Re:My water pump job/ What did I do to my Jeep...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

The thermostat fits flat on the lip of the radiator neck, hose just slips on as if thermostat wasn't there. Pressure and flow keeps it pressed against the neck.
Rad cap is on a catch (overflow) tank.

Post subject: Re: What did I do to my Jeep...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nice post. I am about to do the timing belt and water pump service.

I really liked the observation about going to a 180* thermostat. Just unclear if you took out the original thermostat and left the housing empty. Could you make the GM part fit the original housing?

Thanks. Kevin