It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Piece Fan Shroud
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

After studying the shroud for several hours, I figured out a way to leave the bottom half in place and only remove the top half to gain access to the front of the engine. First I formed two 7" pieces of metal strapping to fit the shroud curve inside and across where I planned to cut. I used 1/4" bolts to secure the metal straps to the shroud. Install the metal straps first before cutting the shroud. I then removed the metal straps and cut the top off of the shroud with a hand saw (I cut just above the holes used to bolt the shroud to the frame). With the metal straps secured to the bottom half, I installed the bottom of the shroud back into the Jeep. The top half of the shroud fit easily into place over the metal straps, and it was easy access the two bolt holes on each side to secure the top of the shroud to the metal straps.

The metal straps make the shroud very rigid. I've driven with it for ~250 miles so far and I'm very pleased. It is very easy to remove the two bolts from the top half of the metal straps to take off the shroud top.

Heres a pic of one side of the shroud with the metal strap installed.

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/15470157

Here's a pic of the inside of the shroud and a metal strap.

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/15470159

This is the shroud disassembled and laying on my garage floor. Notice the the metal strap on each side protruding above where the shroud has been cut.

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/15470160

This is the bottom half of the shroud installed in the Jeep. You can see the metal straps protruding up and the cut edge of the shroud. Also, notice my shinny new fan clutch and alternator. It was easy to attach the fan and clutch with the top half of the shroud removed.

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/15470162

OEM Skids and Rails, EVIC, Mr Diesel Fuel Pump
Michelin XTerrains 235/70/16

Post subject: Re: Two Piece Fan Shroud
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Similar to the "aussie" mode (post #16 at http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=76201). Less complicated cut and only 2 clips instead of 4 but to remove the top for later work it looks like you still have to detach the hoses/tubes that run across and are clipped to the top front of the shourd. Decent idea though. I'll keep it in mind when I dig in there to do the serpentine belt in about 8K.

PS - I did the Aussie mode when I decided to try out Kap's fixed fan (FYI that works great although there is a bit of fan drone in lower gears around town between 1500-2000rpm; no noise on hwy; I'd highly recommend it for those that tow heavy or in hot climates which I don't). The only change I made was to use UV stabalize zip ties instead of screws and metal strap. 4 pairs of holes across the top (be sure the front ones are clear of the intercooler), 1 pair each on the vertical and horzontal sections on each side - easy on easy off and no worries about screws into plastic. FYI the aluminum AC line is held onto 2 pads by zip ties also.

PPS - geordi and lgoodbar went even simpler. Cut bottom 1/2 of shroud off just below the shroud mounting bolts. Discard bottom 1/2 reinstall top 1/2.

PPPS - zip tie or hot glue the fan shroud retaining nuts into their holders so they don't get lost AND be sure to not misplace the fan shroud bolts as they are especially short. Replacing long bolts can, not me, result in a puncture that you don't want after they go all the way thru the nuts.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've considered this same approach. I'll get on it now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

All pictures gone from threads :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
falcn wrote:
All pictures gone from threads :(

Yeah, I've noticed that with many of the threads with pix.

Us newer guys are losing out on metric tonnes of info when the older threads/posts have the pix scrubbed after the original posters move on and delete the pix from their off site caches.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

I did fan shroud mod after first time I did timing belt and saw the mod before I did timing belt. Took all out and did it, still had to get it out the first time in one piece!

Then I decided to find a way to cut shroud the first time, so I wouldn't have to take fan and shroud out together even once.

First time used cutting wheel on dremel type tool being very careful, worked like a charm cutting just above the top bolts just leave them in for now. Then you can maneuver top plastic portion out from under freon lines etc. and remove it. Then you can either just leave bottom portion in if you are doing the serpentine belt or remove the two bolts remaining to remove bottom of shroud. I did make a curved bracket from aluminum for first one I did but it really isn't needed in fact I took it off later.

Third one i did I thought it would be easier and quicker with one of the vibrating or oscillating tool because I had just bought one at harbor freight for $20 to use as an undercut saw on wooden door frame laying tile. This works great. You probably want to remove passenger side CAC connection to intercooler to gain access on that side. I did third one in this manner in 20 minutes. Most of the time was removing and replacing the hose and finding where I stashed the tool !!

I Highly recommend the third way.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden