It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Remove and Replace
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

mass-hole wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:
I have an electric fan kit to install. Should I do both at the same time?

I also have a webasto heater to install. Should I postpone the thermostat and / or electric fan until I am ready to install the Webasto?

I wired my fan into the existing A/C fan harness. I ended up buying a 2 speed fan like the stock unit and was able to control the high and low speeds straight from the ECU. We have the ability to adjust the fan activation based on coolant temps straight from the ECU and tuning. It allows you to bypass the whole 3rd party fan controller annoyance. I simply bought some GM weather proof harnesses from Carquest and cut the plug off the stock A/C fan and re-wired it onto the new fan.

I might not be understanding correctly. Do both fans come on at the same time now?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:
I have an electric fan kit to install. Should I do both at the same time?

I also have a webasto heater to install. Should I postpone the thermostat and / or electric fan until I am ready to install the Webasto?

I wired my fan into the existing A/C fan harness. I ended up buying a 2 speed fan like the stock unit and was able to control the high and low speeds straight from the ECU. We have the ability to adjust the fan activation based on coolant temps straight from the ECU and tuning. It allows you to bypass the whole 3rd party fan controller annoyance. I simply bought some GM weather proof harnesses from Carquest and cut the plug off the stock A/C fan and re-wired it onto the new fan.

I might not be understanding correctly. Do both fans come on at the same time now?

No I removed the stock fan. I don't see why it couldn't though as I believe they are separate 40 amp fuse for both high and low speeds. That should be plenty for pretty much any fan you could put in there. I may put the stock fan back in place and try to trigger one on low and the other on high as I believe both wires remain powered on high.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 am 
LOST Junkie

mass-hole wrote:

I might not be understanding correctly. Do both fans come on at the same time now?[/quote]
No I removed the stock fan. I don't see why it couldn't though as I believe they are separate 40 amp fuse for both high and low speeds. That should be plenty for pretty much any fan you could put in there. I may put the stock fan back in place and try to trigger one on low and the other on high as I believe both wires remain powered on high.[/quote]

OK. You replaced the fan in front of the radiator. I am replacing the fan behind the radiator with an electric fan and leaving the the OEM electric fan as is.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
OK. You replaced the fan in front of the radiator. I am replacing the fan behind the radiator with an electric fan and leaving the the OEM electric fan as is.

No, I removed both the stock A/C fan and the mechanical fan and replaced them with a single electric fan behind the radiator on a custom shroud i built. I used the existing A/C fan wiring so that the new fan works as the A/C, Trans and Coolant fan now. I can adjust the coolant temperature trigger in the tuning and currently have it set to turn low on at 98C and high at 99C.

Unfortunately the fan I bought is not powerful enough on its own in the hot summer months here in the mountains with my custom tune, so I may put the A/c fan back in place and wire it such that one fan triggers on the low speed and the other triggers on the high speed. As far as I know, the low speed wire stays live when high speed is triggered so both fans would run simultaneously but only one would run if coolant was below the threshold.

Originally I bought a 1999 Volvo S40 2 speed electric fan that is supposed to be a monster, but the one I got came out of a Vovlo that had rolled and I think the fan was slight cracked. I've yet to find another one that isnt insanely expensive. The Volvo fan came apart the first time I tried it in the jeep so I went out and bought a 17" derale fan that was the highest spec'd fan I could find but its not all that great. I may try getting a FFD fan since people seem to have had luck with them. My shroud is semi modular so I can pretty much mount wahtever I want to it without much trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Originally I bought a 1999 Volvo S40 2 speed electric fan that is supposed to be a monster...

I've had my eye on one of those.
If I can figure out a good way to attach it I may give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
Originally I bought a 1999 Volvo S40 2 speed electric fan that is supposed to be a monster...

I've had my eye on one of those.
If I can figure out a good way to attach it I may give it a try.

The couple times i tested it on the bench it seemed pretty stout and its nice that its a two speed. I got it at a pick-n-pull for $30, but all the ones I have seen on ebay were well over $100 for used. I should look again.

Unfortunately, the first time I climbed a hill with it installed it came apart and the jeep overheated anyways, so i never got to see if it was powerful enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm 
LOST Addict

One of my customers had mentioned that the electric fans from the high performance Ford Taurus and the Crown Victoria Police Interceptors have a rating of 5000 CFM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
One of my customers had mentioned that the electric fans from the high performance Ford Taurus and the Crown Victoria Police Interceptors have a rating of 5000 CFM.

The Volvo fans are supposed to be the same fan. But from what I have gathered the wiring for them can be somewhat plug and play. If I understood correctly the fan shroud is also easier to re-use.

If you get all the wiring from the volvo, you have the relays and everything you need.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:45 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:

The Volvo fans are supposed to be the same fan. But from what I have gathered the wiring for them can be somewhat plug and play. If I understood correctly the fan shroud is also easier to re-use.

If you get all the wiring from the volvo, you have the relays and everything you need.

Wouldn't the Ford parts be less expensive, and way easier to find?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:

The wiring is plug and play with the factory wiring is you want it to be, no relays neccesary. The volvo I pulled from had the fan but someone already grabbed the relays oddly. I had that fan wired into the factory harness as well and high and low speeds worked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:

Wouldn't the Ford parts be less expensive, and way easier to find?

I just couldnt find the taurus fan at my local pick-n-pull but they did have a 99 volvo so thats why I ended up with it. Plus it was $30.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
LOST Addict

I did some research.
It seems that both the volvo and Lincoln MarkVIII fan motors are the same. But the volvo fan is slightly smaller.
Also, the Mark VIII fan is fully integrated into its shroud.
It seems the volvo fan can be removed from its shroud. But there are many variations of the volvo fan so that may not always be the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:28 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
I did some research.
It seems that both the volvo and Lincoln MarkVIII fan motors are the same. But the volvo fan is slightly smaller.
Also, the Mark VIII fan is fully integrated into its shroud.
It seems the volvo fan can be removed from its shroud. But there are many variations of the volvo fan so that may not always be the case.

The one I got was bolted to the shroud with 4 screws. The fan has a nice flange around the outside which makes it easy to bolt to any shroud and helps support the shroud

i think the blade design was different on the volvo fans but the motor was definitely the one from the Fords.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for write up, but we can't see those first page pictures anymore :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:58 am 
LOST Junkie

LVA wrote:
Thanks for write up, but we can't see those first page pictures anymore :banghead:

I still see them but I may have the Photobucket fix on this computer.
Anyone else not see?

I don't know if this is still relevant but you could try this:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=87310

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you!