It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: block heater plug mod PICS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My wife has forgot to unplug the block heater a few times (lost count) over the years and you can guess what happened

I decided to take the big rig aprouch and make it more visible and nicer looking in my opinion.

I'll try to show you what i did, what you'll need to do it and how i did it.
first off you need to go here and get one of these (this is the only one i came across that had everything included i bought one on amazon that was cheaper and photo it showed the plug in the receptacle but when it was received it was just the housing) http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/ ... 34909.html

---tools i used---

jack and jack stands
lug wrench
standard and phillips screwdriver
level
tape measure
combination square
center punch (if you use one that requires you to use a hammer remember this is a modern vehicle not a 57 Chevy so tap lightly)
dykes
door upholstery & clip remover (optional i used this to remove the plastic bush pins in the fender you can use dykes for this just be careful not to cut the heads off)
plastic rivet gun (this is the only specialty tool you can find this and the rivets on amazon)
dremel-with drum sander and 561 Multipurpose Cutting Bit
drill
instruction also require a drill bit and wrench

---materials---

plastic rivets
painters tape
electrical tap
wire loom
rtv silicon
can of rustoleum

Okay well first off i removed the tire and fender. On the fender there are plastic push pins pull those out and the plastic rivets you'll have to cut those off with the dykes. don't forget the push pin under the rocker molding. Role the finder forward to get it out gentle persuade the fender out of between the rocker and the body.

Now i taped off the fender with the painter tap (this is done to help prevent the paint from chipping up on the edges). Then leveled the jeep emblem so they would match and then squared the template to the emblem. This is where you measure measure and measure again you definitely don't want to mess this part up.

Now the point of no return I center punched the four screw holes and the receptacle hole i then drilled the holes and used a dremel (561 Multipurpose Cutting Bit) to cut the center hole out . the instruction call for a hole saw put i didn't have the correct size and i have better control of the dremel. After that's done take the dremel with the drum sander and clean the edges until free of burrs (leave the tape on until your done sanding just encase you run the dremel down the fender)

I then test fit and took a paint brush and used the rustoleum on the bare metal then ran the cord out of the side of the engine compartment and put wire loom on and secured with electrical tape.

Now wire it up (don't forget the rubber gasket that fits between the jeep and receptacle) i did oops. I then put the rtv silicon on the terminals and rapped it in electrical tap. The kit comes with a rubber boot but the lack of space prevented me from using it in the location.

now snug up the receptacle re-install you fender and tire and let your cold blooded baby be warm again :BANANA:

-Note-I did however noticed there was i slight indentation in between the emblem and receptacle cents the fender had some curve to it. As you can see in the pictures is hardly noticable i plan on putting a piece of angled aluminum stock between the top to bolts behind the fender to fix this

Post subject: Re: block heater plug mod PICS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not too bad. This one, like on fire trucks and rescues, will eject when you start. I think this company also sells a chrome one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nice custom option

I have my plug coming out up by the wiper on the drivers side and loop the cable over the mirror. I have to move it to get in the thing. I'm sure I do something stupid with it attached some time.

Who is the manufacturer of the eject at start connector? Docking cables, ejected, clamps retracted!

Engage the stardrive!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Impressive......

although...if she drives off with this one attached...

make the next one with a bar across the door, so that she can't get in, without unplugging it......

(either that, or sliding contacts that auto-disconnect when the Jeep moves..... bar would be easier)