It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sticky throttle pedal
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Both stoutdog and I (06 and 05 CRDs respectively) have experienced a slightly sticky throttle pedal so I thought I best post our solution as it's worked well on mine for several thousand miles. The throttle pedal is, as we all know, drive by wire so it's just bolted to a mounting plate that in turn is bolted to the firewall and there is apparently an internal spring that controls the return of the pedal to the up/idle position. Neither of us experienced anything remotely like uncontrolled acceleration rather what we experienced was a noticeable slowness in engine speed dropping to idle (what I'd call "run on") when pressure was removed from the throttle pedal. Pressing on the throttle pedal by hand we determined that it did not "snap" back to the up postion when released.

Solution:
1. remove the throttle pedal from the vehicle (remove the 2 bolts/nuts holding the mounting plate to the firewall is simplest and unplug the sensor wire)
2. "exercise" the pedal a few times using an air gun to blow out any dust or whatever from the pivot point - may require a 2nd person or a vice to hold it.
3. "lube" the pivot point - I did not want to use a sticky lube that might collect dust so I used some silicone spray I had on hand. If you have some bottled graphite for lubing locks that might work also.
4. "exercise" the pedal a few more times to make sure it snaps back to the up position and reinstall on the vehicle. Double check the snap back.

Problem solved

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs