It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Front Propeller (Drive) Shaft CV Joint/Boot Replacement
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

If it's bottomed out and you can't reinstall the snap ring, you're going to have to file it down a little.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:30 pm 

HER_CRD wrote:
Working here on changing both joints and running into an issue during reassembly. What I've got is the front joint (diff end) is bottomed out on the splines but I can't get the snap ring back on because the groove is not exposed. Thoughts on filing down the center part a bit? This one measures a few thousandths wider than the original.

Make sure you do not have an extra spacer washer on the other side keeping it from going onto the axle splines deep enough.
If not, try taping using a hammer the inner race onto the splines a little bit more using a big socket that fits over the axle but matches the inner race face. :idea:
They are supposed to be tight so there is no movement on the splines. Some I have worked on, I have had to use a drift (flat punch) & hammer to persuade the lock clip into the grove... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Leeann, that's the only thing I could thing of. Had to beat the thing on there :|

WWDiesel, I used a socket to get it on far as I did. Nothing on the other side. It's right up to the splines.

The inner race has a boss and chamfer on one side. That's supposed to face the snap ring, correct? I've got the joint assembly in the correct orientation on the shaft, but just wondering if the inner race could be put in backwards, or even machined incorrectly.

Last edited by HER_CRD on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:03 pm 
LOST Member

For what it's worth, here's the original race. Not enough difference for snap ring not to fit.

And the best measurement on the new one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:23 pm 

HER_CRD wrote:
Thanks Leeann, that's the only thing I could thing of. Had to beat the thing on there :|

WWDiesel, I used a socket to get it on far as I did. Nothing on the other side. It's right up to the splines.

The inner race has a boss and chamfer on one side. That's supposed to face the snap ring, correct? I've got the joint assembly in the correct orientation on the shaft, but just wondering if the inner race could be put in backwards, or even machined incorrectly.

The chamfer is supposed to face the driveshaft end, not the lock ring! That may be your problem? You don't possibly have the joint on backwards do you?
If so, that is the problem!!! Turn it around... :wink:

Other possibility, inner race was installed backwards, they can be turned around (rotated), it can be done, but is a pain in the butt if you have never done one!!! It must be done very carefully and will only fit one way correctly... :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

It should look like this after installation - and before grease...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:43 pm 
LOST Member

Pretty sure the joint itself is on correctly. I have the boot with it's cap on. It fits tight on the way I have it. The other end the cap fits loose. I'll have to look at it more Monday. I was doing this at work and I'm home now.

Yea I have concerns about flipping this around if that's the issue. I pressed the old one off and it came off in pieces. I'll just need to find some other stuff to work with on the press to take it back off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

So was just out looking at this and I'm now sure that the joint is assembled with the inner race backwards. The outer portion of the joint has 2 outside diameters. Large OD mates to the open cap and boot. Small OD mates to the the other cap and diff.

How much trouble am I asking for if I take the joint apart to flip the inner race around? Should I contact the seller for a replacement?

One thing I would like to mention (and maybe it's already widely known) is that the snap rings included with my kits were too large for the shaft so I used the old ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:30 pm 

HER_CRD wrote:
So was just out looking at this and I'm now sure that the joint is assembled with the inner race backwards. The outer portion of the joint has 2 outside diameters. Large OD mates to the open cap and boot. Small OD mates to the the other cap and diff.

How much trouble am I asking for if I take the joint apart to flip the inner race around? Should I contact the seller for a replacement?

One thing I would like to mention (and maybe it's already widely known) is that the snap rings included with my kits were too large for the shaft so I used the old ones.

Simply try removing the joint off of the axle and turning it around and see if the boot cap still fits ok. If so, run with it, the joint does not care which way it is mounted as far as flex motion. We used to turn them around all the time on VW's to set up a new wear pattern when they become worn and started making popping noises...

If that will not work, you can spin the inner race around, it is kinda a pain if you have never done one.
Clamp joint in a vise at outer edge, use a wooden dowel or brass rod stuck into the inner race and gently work it around being careful not to let any of the balls fall out. The shiny ball cage should rotate with the inner race and keep the balls in place as you work it around and the cage has to be moved to the end of its travel to align the balls to the outer races groves before it will slide back together... :roll:

Wish you were close by, I could do this for you in less than two minutes....
Good luck! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:26 pm 
LOST Member

Got the inner race flipped around today (took way longer than two minutes). Lost a bunch of the grease I had packed in there so I picked up some O'Reilly's. Tube of toothpaste quantity for $5.Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm 

HER_CRD wrote:
Got the inner race flipped around today (took way longer than two minutes). Lost a bunch of the grease I had packed in there so I picked up some O'Reilly's. Tube of toothpaste quantity for $5.

Glad you got it done! <Two minutes was with LOTS of experience doing this!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am on front drive shaft - rear joint #5 from driveshaftparts I even replaced the drive shaft with a used driveshaft. The rear joint went out rather quickley. Replaced that rear joint on the 2nd driveshaft with a driveshaftparts rear joint. That one didn't make it 7 miles.

What is the best aftermarket fix for the front driveshaft?

Tom Woods? http://www.customdriveshafts.com/

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:30 pm 

jrsavoie wrote:
I am on front drive shaft - rear joint #5 from driveshaftparts I even replaced the drive shaft with a used driveshaft. The rear joint went out rather quickley. Replaced that rear joint on the 2nd driveshaft with a driveshaftparts rear joint. That one didn't make it 7 miles.

If you installed a new driveshaft CV joint and it only lasted 7 miles, something is bad wrong!!!! :shock:
What is actually happening to the joint, can you describe or show pictures?

I replaced mine over three years ago with one from Detroit Axle and it is still going strong without any issues.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:

If you installed a new driveshaft CV joint and it only lasted 7 miles, something is bad wrong!!!! :shock:
What is actually happening to the joint, can you describe or show pictures?

I replaced mine over three years ago with one from Detroit Axle and it is still going strong without any issues.... :wink:

Other than the last joint, the other 4 looked good and were not slinging grease terrible bad. The boots were all good, They just got loose.

The last one from driveshaft parts I believe had the wrong size cap with the shaft. I had read of somebody else having that issue recently. The cap was stuck to the hub on the transfer case when we pulled the driveshaft back out, again.

I've had it looked at by 3 different shops and haven't got anywhere

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:24 pm 

jrsavoie wrote:
Other than the last joint, the other 4 looked good and were not slinging grease terrible bad. The boots were all good, They just got loose.
The last one from driveshaft parts I believe had the wrong size cap with the shaft. I had read of somebody else having that issue recently. The cap was stuck to the hub on the transfer case when we pulled the driveshaft back out, again.
I've had it looked at by 3 different shops and haven't got anywhere

How lose? CV joints always have some small amount of end to end play in them in my experience...not a lot, but a little bit! They should not have ANY side to side play!
As to the cap, they should fit very tightly around the CV outer race to make a tight grease seal. When I replaced the OEM joint in my Jeep, I had to basically chesil and cut the old cap away from the CV joint! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

How loose? Does throwing a hotdog down a hallway mean anything to you?

I am going with Midwest Driveshaft. $265 for a rebuild, rebalance, 1 year unlimited mileage guarantee - which isn't much of an issue - can't keep this thing on the road long enough to put any miles on it

I can take it in and wait around for it. One day turnaround. About 4 hours of road time - Yuck

http://www.mdsdriveshaft.com/

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 pm 
LOST Member

Question on the front driveshaft head (one the that looks like a torpedo nose/connects to front differential). My helper (I would fire him but he is only 6) hit the very top of it with a hammer so now the nose is dented in. Is this an issue or can I still use it? It is all assembled and ready for install.
Also for the clamps is there a trick to them? I pulled it tight but doesn't feel secure like a worm clamp, any reason I can't use a worm clamp instead? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
A small dent should not be a problem.

Are you 100% sure you haven't put the joint on inside out? They can go on either way, and don't look greatly different to the untrained eye.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 am 
LOST Member

Thanks. Pretty sure it is on right. Matches pictures and video. I just can't quite get the clamps for the boot on tight enough for my liking.

Just to confirm through the center piece had a completely flat side and a side with a slightly raised section. From the video that side went down?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Well I found another company to add to the NO-NO list.

Ordered a rear u-joint for the front propeller shaft from Detroit Axle. It came in a generic unmarked box. All looked good, except I had to buy boot band clamps, as they forgot to include those. The actual joint it's self hasn't failed, but the grease boot has failed pretty dramatically in less than 100 miles. I'm wondering if they are re-packaging Crown like Omix-Aida does.
The other thing I want to ask is, Does anyone know if the grease boot for the rear CV of the front propeller shaft is available separately anywhere?

The same order included a pair of grease-able lower ball joints from Detroit Axle. They sent me a pair of (apparently) Lower ball joints for a 2WD. Sent an RMA for those, and sent a new pair of Mevo-Tech (still in the Mevo box). The boxes and labels were identical, but only one of the 4 LBJs was the part advertised. The other one of the second pair was a direct stock non-grease-able replacement. Since both fit and worked, I went with it to save time. This one left me wondering if it's actually Detroit Axle's mess-up or is it their suppliers? Oh almost forgot. 1 of each pair they sent me had a split grease boot when taken out of the sealed package.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set