It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY ECU Flash
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:57 pm 

margisam wrote:
hello from Greece,
it is the first time i write in this forum.
I would like to try to remap the ecu of my kJ CRD 2.8 2007.I would like to know which mpps i must use.I find in ebay ver13.0 ver13.02 ver16 ver18.The newest is better?Also i would like to gain some power and if i can reduce the fuel consumption that would be nice.Which version is suitable for me?(i have deleted egr but still i see sometimes the red light blinking)
thanks for your time

Contact Marco aka "Yeti" on this forum using the PM or email buttons, he can provide a custom tune for your model.
You can also find him over on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011557657029
He resides close by you in Biella, Italy!
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

if you need my service , contact me via email or with facebook ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
margisam wrote:
hello from Greece,
it is the first time i write in this forum.
I would like to try to remap the ecu of my kJ CRD 2.8 2007.I would like to know which mpps i must use.I find in ebay ver13.0 ver13.02 ver16 ver18.The newest is better?Also i would like to gain some power and if i can reduce the fuel consumption that would be nice.Which version is suitable for me?(i have deleted egr but still i see sometimes the red light blinking)
thanks for your time

Contact Marco aka "Yeti" on this forum using the PM or email buttons, he can provide a custom tune for your model.
You can also find him over on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011557657029
He resides close by you in Biella, Italy!
:SOMBRERO:

thank you ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Yeti wrote:
if you need my service , contact me via email or with facebook ;-)

Email sent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, I currently have a CRD with version 617 ECM. I am trying to get the EGR tuned. The 617 version must be rare because only one mention of it anywhere I can find.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84719

That thread has a link for the tune I need but not currently working. If anyone has a simple 617 tune (EGR/FCV) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:27 pm 

CRDTECH wrote:
Hello, I currently have a CRD with version 617 ECM. I am trying to get the EGR tuned. The 617 version must be rare because only one mention of it anywhere I can find.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84719
That thread has a link for the tune I need but not currently working. If anyone has a simple 617 tune (EGR/FCV) I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you. :D :D :D

Contact "Yeti" (Marco Giacomelli) on this forum using the PM or email buttons on the bottom of the post.
or
Message him over on FaceBook at:> https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning
He can provide you with a custom tune to fit your needs. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Will do. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

i cannot get dropbox to load so i can download the tune. Any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:14 pm 

farmallboy wrote:
i cannot get dropbox to load so i can download the tune. Any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?

Tested downloading one of the files; it worked just fine for me.
Not sure why you are having problems... :dizzy:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

How do you actually edit the hex value in titanium and recalculate the checksum ?

I have saved my 809 rom from a Jeep Cherokee 2005 and can open it in ECM Titanium , I then go to Modify Hex , locate the address E433C as mentioned before to disable the DTC P1140 .

And that is where it seems there is nothing i can do to edit the actual address data, i have clicked all over the place and i dont seem to be able to edit it in the hex editor , i don't know maybe there is something wrong with my ECM Titanium software not letting me edit, surely it cant be this hard.

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Maybe some additional notes need to be added to the first page to help people trying to mod a ECU map because when you haven't done it before its a daunting task to figure out , having to troll through 1800 messages and 91 pages looking for answers has taken quite a lot of time and there are certainly some messages in there that should be on the first page .

So this is my follow up about the missing information on how to edit the ECU map bin file and correct the checksum before putting it back on the ECU as i got zero responses here ( yea thanks for that )

Ok so I downloaded my Ecu map with the mpps , and made a few copies so im not working on the original file that i would keep for backup case anything went wrong .

I used a hex editor called "HxD Hex Editor" because I cant seem to edit hex or anything on ECU Titanium after getting the "ECM4FREE" download but it does checks on the checksum so its handy for that , though im still not sure why i cant change things with it but maybe its demo mode or something idk.

So i open a copy of the ECU bin file went to the address "E433C" mentioned to clear the DTC P1140 for my 809 map, edit the value to "00" and save the ECU bin file as a copy with "-mod" on the file name .

I checked this modified file in Titanium and as expected it didn't like the checksum at all basically saying it could not calculate one for this file .

I got a little program called "checksum corrector" available here and not mentioned before in this thread :
https://www.freetuningfiles.com/free-tu ... bin-files/

And used this to load the modified ECU map , it then select the "Bosh Edc16c8 Cr V5" it then asks to load the original ecu map file , and computes the corrected checksum , then save the ECU map file with a different name i just added -CS to the end of the name so to indicate its the file i have fixed the checksum on .

So to test that its now ok , i then loaded this map in Titanium and manually selected the type " Jeep , cherokee " start search and select the correct driver in this case JXXX_809 .

Then once its loaded , gave me no checksum error , i checked with the Checksum tool selecting type 60 Bosh edc16,
and click compute , it says "checksum correct" yay !

Brilliant , I have a modified ECU map bin file that is now ready to be put back on the ecu and confident that its got a good checksum .

Hope that helps someone .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

when you change a value in the map , ecm ask you to save the mod you have do , in this moment the software calculate the checksum , you only need to save the new tune , tray to change the value you need in Graphich 2D mode

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

i used mpps and connected saved a copy of my ECU ,
did only the bit change for the P1140 fixed the checksum and wrote it back to the car , all good started , scanned no errors .

so I thought well lets try the file from here see if the P1140 comes back .

So then tried to write the "809-EGR_FCV_delete-stock_tune" it started the connection process to write , then crashed ?
Laptop was on power and so was the car 14v , problem with the rom file perhaps , idk ?

I cant now connect or read the ECU , or write the original back , is it bricked ?

seems the key is no longer passing the security red light on the dash stays on, so perhaps that's why i cant connect to the ecu ?

any thoughts on a way to talk to it ?

I do have an old ecu module that has the same 809 rom that has some other damage but can still talk via the obd i could take the rom off that and put it on this ecu board perhaps fix it that way, i have surface mount reworking tools.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

So i disconnected the battery for a while , ( not sure if that did anything )

Changed over to an old ECU that is the same version but has other issues, to see if i could talk to it via the obd , yes no problem read the ECU map and wrote to it , no problem , eliminated the key locking me out stopping me from talking to the ecu obviously that does not matter.

so disconnected the battery again and swapped back to the ECU i thought I had bricked .

This time i didn't try to do a read because i already know the rom is corrupted , i just tried to write back the original ECU map file and bugger me it actually did it, now totally confused i though well hmm that's interesting so after that completed , test the car yep starts everything ok but have that p1140 error code cause the throttle body thing is disconnected , ok so back to testing ...

So i wonder was there a problem with the other EGR delete map file , i will give that a go again and it writes to the ECU fine this time ? , ok have a theory here that i need to go back to the original rom between loading a modified one , i tested this a few more time loading a couple of different modified files , and it would crash if i had not loaded the original back onto the ecu before loading a modified one , now im sure theres a reason behind this perhaps its calculating a checksum from the original ecu before it starts writing the modified one ? , anyways its not bricked thank goodness , now if i could just get some tuning programs like winols and titanium to actually edit perhaps i can start to experiment a little :P

I have 3 CRD KJ jeeps so this one im playing with is not essential so if its out of commission for a little while it does not really matter and its pretty interesting messing around with the ecu.

as i've stripped a gear in my FCV ( that throttle body thing ) that being disconnected gives me a P1140 ( now fixed from changing the E433C address , I have successfully disabled the DTC but if i plug in the FCV it makes a grinding noise like its running the motor in it to find a certain position i assume, so apart from cutting a power line to it so it stops making noise when plugged in is there another way of turning it off while its still plugged in ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:46 pm 

Simple, remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV, install a blockoff plate to prevent any further soot ingestion into the intake manifold and then install a FCV/EGR DTC delete tune.
If one is not available, contact Marco, aka Yeti on this forum or over on the Jeep CRD FB forum for a tune to address these items.
Quick and easy! :D
or
Remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV, take the operator for it apart, remove the gears, reinstall it and then install a block off plate on the EGR valve and leave both the FCV & the EGR valve connected. This might satisfy the ECM.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:42 am 
LOST Junkie

baalsjeep wrote:
i used mpps and connected saved a copy of my ECU ,
did only the bit change for the P1140 fixed the checksum and wrote it back to the car , all good started , scanned no errors .

so I thought well lets try the file from here see if the P1140 comes back .

So then tried to write the "809-EGR_FCV_delete-stock_tune" it started the connection process to write , then crashed ?
Laptop was on power and so was the car 14v , problem with the rom file perhaps , idk ?

I cant now connect or read the ECU , or write the original back , is it bricked ?

seems the key is no longer passing the security red light on the dash stays on, so perhaps that's why i cant connect to the ecu ?

any thoughts on a way to talk to it ?

I do have an old ecu module that has the same 809 rom that has some other damage but can still talk via the obd i could take the rom off that and put it on this ecu board perhaps fix it that way, i have surface mount reworking tools.

the crash during writing can happen for variuos things , be sure you don't have antivirus running or internet connection or other program that run in background , when a crash happen force to write the stock file first

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yea so i actually did the ERG block off but i did it a little different , where that small Vband is connecting to the intake manifold I used a metal cutting hole saw and made a shoulder on the inside of the vband connection on the intake piece then put some ready gasket silicon on the ledge shoulder and hammered in a 20 cent coin into it ( its not going anywhere) which acts as the blocking plate and cant be sucked into the engine , but it is also invisible to any outside inspection if that ever occurs , it is also easy to reverse or remove if needed, i can add a picture of that if it helps, as its a pretty easy hack that others may like, but what i like about it is unless you pull it apart you would never know its there, unlike other blocking plates that a visual inspection would easily identify.

Yea so i had read about the additional step of removing that plate and i think when i was trying to unscrew the screws which are a torque screw with a center security pin, i stripped the gear ( opps ) in that throttle body, now its just the noise of the thing grinding on the stripped gear that is annoying me when its plugged in :P

I am wondering if there are any vacuum lines connected to that ERG system, will my blocking plate at this location cause any other issues ? , I 100% agree blocking off that ERG system is a great idea stopping soot going back into the intake, i scraped a small bucket of black sticky muck out of the intake while i had it all apart , yuck ! makes you wonder what the point of an air filter when you have this crap going into the engine .

I think i also read that this throttle body is used to help engine shutdown ? but perhaps i am wrong about that does not seem to make any difference when its not connected.

What someone should do is make the connection of this intake pipe to the manifold with a 3inch or 2.5 inch vband so you dont have to spend 4hrs and break your wrist removing the back two bolts to change the number 2 glow plug but thats a topic for another thread :)

So what im really interested in now is understanding more about finding some working map editing software and as one of my jeeps with a 809 ecu map seems to have about 30% more power then the standard ecu map it would be interesting to take a look at what they have done to it, I would like to upload a copy of it for anyone else that wants to use that ecu map as its better then the stock map for sure, but i am not sure how to add a file here , maybe i could send it to yetti on FB and he can add it .

Thanks for all the help this is a really great thread .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:31 pm 

baalsjeep wrote:
Yea so i actually did the ERG block off but i did it a little different , where that small Vband is connecting to the intake manifold I used a metal cutting hole saw and made a shoulder on the inside of the vband connection on the intake piece then put some ready gasket silicon on the ledge shoulder and hammered in a 20 cent coin into it ( its not going anywhere) which acts as the blocking plate and cant be sucked into the engine , but it is also invisible to any outside inspection if that ever occurs , it is also easy to reverse or remove if needed, i can add a picture of that if it helps, as its a pretty easy hack that others may like, but what i like about it is unless you pull it apart you would never know its there, unlike other blocking plates that a visual inspection would easily identify.
If you make and install the blockoff plate as was pictured/shown previously between the EGR valve and the exhaust feed line to the EGR, it is totally undiscernible to the naked eye. The blank being there can only be determined by disassembly of the connection between the two parts. And the great thing is, you don't have to fool with any of the aggravating v-ban clamps. :-)r

Yea so i had read about the additional step of removing that plate and i think when i was trying to unscrew the screws which are a torque screw with a center security pin, i stripped the gear ( opps ) in that throttle body, now its just the noise of the thing grinding on the stripped gear that is annoying me when its plugged in :P
As to removing the butterfly plate out of the FCV, I have done several, and never had a problem stripping the gears in the operator or getting the two small torx screws removed. That should not have happened! But since you did, simply remove the gears out of the operator and you will not have to listen to the noise anymore.

I am wondering if there are any vacuum lines connected to that ERG system, will my blocking plate at this location cause any other issues ? , I 100% agree blocking off that ERG system is a great idea stopping soot going back into the intake, i scraped a small bucket of black sticky muck out of the intake while i had it all apart , yuck ! makes you wonder what the point of an air filter when you have this crap going into the engine .
There are NO vacuum lines connected or associated with the EGR system on the 05 & 06 Jeep Liberty CRD's sold in North America. Can't speak as to what components they used in other locations outside North America.

I think i also read that this throttle body is used to help engine shutdown ? but perhaps i am wrong about that does not seem to make any difference when its not connected.
It was said that the FCV was programed to go shut when the engine is shut down, but this function is not missed when the FCV is totally removed. There are hundreds of these vehicles with no FCV and no one has complained of any issues at shut down.

What someone should do is make the connection of this intake pipe to the manifold with a 3inch or 2.5 inch vband so you dont have to spend 4hrs and break your wrist removing the back two bolts to change the number 2 glow plug but thats a topic for another thread :)

So what im really interested in now is understanding more about finding some working map editing software and as one of my jeeps with a 809 ecu map seems to have about 30% more power then the standard ecu map it would be interesting to take a look at what they have done to it, I would like to upload a copy of it for anyone else that wants to use that ecu map as its better then the stock map for sure, but i am not sure how to add a file here , maybe i could send it to yetti on FB and he can add it .
Your best option for tunes is to reach out to Marco, AKA Yeti on this forum, he builds custom tunes for the Jeep CRD. I have been running his Stage IV HOT Tune since 2014 and it ROCKS!!!

Thanks for all the help this is a really great thread .

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is all the further I can get on the MPPS v13.02 And I was only able to get to the screen once obviously I can’t read or write but I can’t identify the ECU and I can’t even always do that I have windows 11 now I’m running on Internet if I run it as the administrator I can get this far

Call sis I don’t know how to post pictures it’s just been a gift to ECU data the Chrysler file type in about seven different other items that identify the ECU which I think it means that it’s always communicate with the ECU but it won’t let me read it won’t let me write I don’t know if that’s a cable issue a software issue or what type of issue. My vehicle is a 2006 jeep liberty CRD with about 171,000 miles and I have the check engine lights on for codes relating to the removal of the EGR

p0403
P1140

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:48 am 
LOST Junkie

Here is an ECU repair company to avoid: ModuleExperts.com

Had a bad feeling going in that ModuleExperts.com would be a bad experience. Turned out to be true.

Their website reads, "...Pay us up front with CC and send in your Engine Control Module for repair. Flat rate $250..."

I wasn't about to pay in advance, but, I sent in the module first and awaited their response. They said "...your ECM is beyond repair. We can sell you an re-manufactured unit for an additional $960.

I told them to return my ECM without making any repairs. They responded in all caps (yelling) "JUST TOLD YOU IT IS NOT REPAIRABLE, SO HOW EXACTLY ARE WE TO "NOT MAKE ANY REPAIRS?" DID YOU NOT READ ANYTHING THAT WAS JUST EXPLAINED TO YOU?"

So I responded again, "Please send my ECM back to me."

They responded "WHY".

I said, "I don't want ModuleExperts.com to have a free module. I'll have someone else repair it. I understand it will cost me $25 return shipping."

Nothing in response.

Meanwhile, I found another ECM company that offers the same ECM for $350:
https://ecmrebuilders.com/product-categ ... jeep-2005/

So I purchased an ECM supposedly programmed specifically for my VIN. See what happens in the next few days or week.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next