It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY ECU Flash
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all - I am a new owner of a 2005 CRD. I read through the guide on ECU flash, bought the reader and checked my ECU. I have 811 version, so I downloaded and tried the 811 EGR, FCV delete (Nick's) and noticed in Titanium when I checked for differences, there weren't any?

So maybe someone had already done that I was thinking, so I checked the Stock 811 file and Titanium see's no difference between my original ECU code, the 811 stock code, and Nick's 811 EGR, FCV delete ECU code. Am I doing something wrong here?

Jacktar
Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Since my CRD has been dead for over a year and it is just now back to running I'm playing with this stuff. I got my cable from amazon, I have connected up and downloaded the bin file from my ECU.

I'm still looking for a working version of ECM Titanium, I found a self contained exe online, but not an installer. I get a "smartkey.dll" error when I try to run it.

Question: Can anyone tell me if ECM Titanium is 64 bit compatible? Has anyone run ECM titanium in Windows 10?

I can build a 32bit XP VM if need be to run this.

For clarification:

Squeeto wrote:
After Read (F2), you need to determine what software version you have.
The easiest way is just open it with Windows Wordpad.
Here is the first line of my 808:
X Ò@  Ž 1037380808P53363K0  ¼ˆ§ˆ@  
The 10373808 number is shown.

We are called it 808, which set of 808 determines that it is 808?

This:
1037380808P53363K0

Or these:
1037380808P53363K0

After reading through the whole thread it sounds like its the second set - if so it would be helpful to clarify this early in the thread.

My first line is:
downloaded file wrote:
X Ò@  Ž 1037375603P_399423

Which I think means I have version 603, is this correct?

While I can play with the calibration/mapping later my first order of business is to try and disable the P0610 code which happens after a jumpstart. From what I have read in the thread it looks like I can do this by editing with a hex editor, finding the code, and turning the 16 to a 0 to disable the code. I would also like to edit out the P0100 MAF code as well.

Second order of business, I installed 5V glow plugs. I don't see definitive talk about what needs to be flashed to change the 5V setting. I have a DRBIII and could possibly load the 5V flash via rs232 and a flash card, but I would need to get a flash card first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

jacktar wrote:
Hi all - I am a new owner of a 2005 CRD. I read through the guide on ECU flash, bought the reader and checked my ECU. I have 811 version, so I downloaded and tried the 811 EGR, FCV delete (Nick's) and noticed in Titanium when I checked for differences, there weren't any?

So maybe someone had already done that I was thinking, so I checked the Stock 811 file and Titanium see's no difference between my original ECU code, the 811 stock code, and Nick's 811 EGR, FCV delete ECU code. Am I doing something wrong here?

Jacktar
Tampa, FL

Try Yeti's version.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
Can anyone tell me if ECM Titanium is 64 bit compatible?

32bit Titanium works in 64bit Windows 7.

Sir Sam wrote:

This:
1037380808P53363K0

Sir Sam wrote:

Yes.
But the 603 has the older 1/2meg binary. I should probably make a point of this in the first page.
The number isn't shown on the first line in Wordpad.

Sir Sam wrote:
... editing with a hex editor...

Good for comparing the differences in binary files but editing should be done with an app that can set the CheckSum.

Sir Sam wrote:
Second order of business, I installed 5V glow plugs. I don't see definitive talk about what needs to be flashed to change the 5V setting. I have a DRBIII and could possibly load the 5V flash via rs232 and a flash card, but I would need to get a flash card first.

The MPPS software doesn't access the glow plug information which may be contained in the second bank of flash memory.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Yes.
But the 603 has the older 1/2meg binary. I should probably make a point of this in the first page.

Info added.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Can anyone tell me if ECM Titanium is 64 bit compatible?

32bit Titanium works in 64bit Windows 7.

Ok, so then its either my download or Windows 10 thats causing the problem.

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

This:
1037380808P53363K0

Ok thanks.

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Yes.

The file size of my bin file is 1mb. What number isn't shown in the first line in wordpad/notepad?

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
... editing with a hex editor...

Good for comparing the differences in binary files but editing should be done with an app that can set the CheckSum.

Ok noted.

Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

The MPPS software doesn't access the glow plug information which may be contained in the second bank of flash memory.

So it sounds like I'm stuck with not being able to update the glow plug voltage here, might need to goto a dealer or get it loaded in my DRBIII.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
Squeeto wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Yes.

The file size of my bin file is 1mb. What number isn't shown in the first line in wordpad/notepad?

Tunes are ecu specific. Most ecu bin file's addressed here so far are of 1mb size. The version number in these are in the first line of "text".
The 603 is from an older vehicle which has a 1/2mb size and the version number is near the end of the file. I needed to add this information to the first page of the thread so that I am not confusing those who have 1/2mb files.

My omission. I didn't want to make your question seem impertinent because of me changing the information in the first post, so I mentioned it here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Okay, I reread your first post.
Do you say that you have version 603 with a 1mb file?

Sir Sam wrote:
My first line is:
downloaded file wrote:
X Ò@  Ž 1037375603P_399423

I haven't seen this tune before.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Squeeto wrote:
Tunes are ecu specific. Most ecu bin file's addressed here so far are of 1mb size. The version number in these are in the first line of "text".
The 603 is from an older vehicle which has a 1/2mb size and the version number is near the end of the file. I needed to add this information to the first page of the thread so that I am not confusing those who have 1/2mb files.

My omission. I didn't want to make your question seem impertinent because of me changing the information in the first post, so I mentioned it here.

Squeeto, I have posted my bin file here:

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/libby/1037372424v2

1mb/1024kb, is this different than the 512kb bin file you refer to?

Now here it shows a different number in the file name vs what I show in the first line. Which is correct?

My ECU should be pre f37, here is the ID info from the DRBIII:

I also noticed the DRBIII can read some hex info from the TCM, doesn't look like I can edit it though:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

You definitely have a tune version different than what I have seen to date.

Your 2005 603 is different from the early 603. Now I have to change my numbering scheme!

(For 1mb files) the only reliable version number that works with matching tune to ecu is the one in the first line of text that you see in Wordpad. Yours is 603.

I don't have time now to check the difference between yours and the 811.
Interesting, why is yours different?

I know as soon as Yeti reads this he will be checking though. He is currently looking for the elusive glow plug difference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Squeeto wrote:
You definitely have a tune version different than what I have seen to date.

Your 2005 603 is different from the early 603. Now I have to change my numbering scheme!

(For 1mb files) the only reliable version number that works with matching tune to ecu is the one in the first line of text that you see in Wordpad. Yours is 603.

I don't have time now to check the difference between yours and the 811.
Interesting, why is yours different?

I know as soon as Yeti reads this he will be checking though. He is currently looking for the elusive glow plug difference.

Squeeto, my production is Feb 9th 2005, I bought it in early 2007. It had one flash(f22?) before I bought it but the label is too faded now to tell. I have never had the f37 done, so my ECU has not been touched since sometime in 2006.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

[/quote]

Try Yeti's version.[/quote]

Squeeto - I want to try Yeti's 811 tunes... but both of his versions are for stage 2 or 4 tunes.... I don't want to go that aggressive until I complete the Timing Belt replacement in the next 3-4 weeks. Was just looking to disable EGR for now...

I have experimented with editing the EGR maps by replacing all EGR address values with 15500 which from looking at the tunes, this is what others have done... but every time I do that I get a different checksum than 060 and can't seem to correct that, and I still haven't found the address to disable FCV.

Jacktar
Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 am 
LOST Addict

I did a comparison on the bin file, my 603 is very different from the posted 811 stock file.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 am 
LOST Junkie

Hi , sorry for my late , your 603 is similar ......but not the same ......at the 811 , and if I understand where the GP's managment is , seem you have the latest upgrade , and yes you do not have the F37 done , the torque managment in the gear map is different from other , have more torque available at higher revs

for what I have understand
and other have the latest GP's calibration , but I must verify with some test

do not have ..........but remember I'm not sure

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:56 am 
LOST Junkie

jacktar wrote:

Try Yeti's version.[/quote]

Squeeto - I want to try Yeti's 811 tunes... but both of his versions are for stage 2 or 4 tunes.... I don't want to go that aggressive until I complete the Timing Belt replacement in the next 3-4 weeks. Was just looking to disable EGR for now...

I have experimented with editing the EGR maps by replacing all EGR address values with 15500 which from looking at the tunes, this is what others have done... but every time I do that I get a different checksum than 060 and can't seem to correct that, and I still haven't found the address to disable FCV.

Jacktar
Tampa, FL[/quote]

this mod is for only the fcv , you must put to zero the two hump come after in the map at the right beginning for the egr , and is normal thet the checksum is changed after you save the new file , go to the end of the file and see if the checksum is changed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yeti wrote:
...and if I understand where the GP's managment is ...

So you believe that the glow plug values are stored in the map?
Maybe the person who gave you the 5v map exactly the same as the 7v was wrong about the glow plug update?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

jacktar
You don't have to load the tunes into the Jeep, just load the original and Yeti's mod (any stage) into Titanium.
View both in 2D mode.

Sir Sam
You can do the same. The individual maps like egr have a distinct shape. When you know what they look like, you can find them in the 603 and mod them similarly.

The maps that we touch for the 811 and 603 are in the same location (starts about 80% into the file).

Titanium has driver C176_603 for the 603 (1mb) so you can tweak injection, rail pressure, boost, torque limit, etc.

The 603 may be able to be flashed with 811 but the safest way is still to mod the original.
Pre-F37 with egr/fcv delete would be a nice tune.

Last edited by Squeeto on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

Squeeto wrote:
Yeti wrote:
...and if I understand where the GP's managment is ...

So you believe that the glow plug values are stored in the map?
Maybe the person who gave you the 5v map exactly the same as the 7v was wrong about the glow plug update?

yes I belive , the person who give me the 5v map ...and other two have the same 811 file .......same GCU code and same voltage coming out when we unplug the water temp sensor , I can see an upgrade in the various file at the same map , the other .......timing , pressure ,smoke limiter , quantity injected ,phase , are the same , except the overboost time .this upgrade come with the version release , if you want put my original for the first and than load the other version .......example 811 , yuo must scroll the map for alignment , and watch early the overboost map and after ...........there are 5-6 map in total that I belive is the GP's managment this map is identical in mine in 811 and 808 but really different in other file ,can't be a engine managment .too many different in the revision with other same value ....sorry I do not know how to explain in English .
watch my 812 and you see a map with high pulse 57344 value formed by 2 bit , If I'm not wrong is 2 second of high pulse in percentage of the battery voltage , another variable duration at low pulse 6-8 bit and a 120 bit linear value ............after start up at cold engine I have a 3,44 volt for 120 second ;-) .and strange if I rev up the volt increase , I think this map is for the first key on and start up , the other I think is adjustment in base of other factor .
say that 5v and 7v , probabily have the same managment in the last revision ...but I and other people with differnt voltage have the same GCU number with AC code ........ALWAYS if I'm not wrong .
I need cold temp to really test and try to modify this map and doing many test , if you can see what I see in this map you can understand is too many complex to recalibrte

any suggestion is much apreciated

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, I found one of my issues, ECM Titanium 64 bit does not run on windows 10. I was able to start it with a win7 64 bit computer.

I poked around a little and I can view a few of the maps in the tree on the right. It does not seem like many maps for the engine control, are there more maps hidden in the hex file?

So I think I have what I need to modify my bin file and reload.

Q: It sounds like I cannot use a hex editor to directly modify the file because this will mess up the checksum. Is the only way to get a proper checksum to use ECM titanium or other software to modify the hex file? Is it possible to modify with a hex editor and then open/save with ECMTi to correct checksum?

HrastProgrammer wrote:
I posted this in another thread a couple of weeks ago but removed it temporarily until we did some more tests. So far everything seems to work as it should, so I assume it is safe to repost it again here ...

Based on some sparse info about EDC16 error handling I have examined CRD ECU map file and located the necessary locations for disabling various error codes. There are still a few unknowns here but I gathered enough info to make it work for what I wanted to achieve.

To understand ECU error handling the following terms have to be explained:

(1) Error Class Block

Error classes determine the actions upon various error conditions, for example - does a particular DTC activate CEL, is the error code stored in the permanent memory so it can be read with an OBDII scanner, etc. I know the approx. location of Error Class Block but didn't deciphered the structure yet. For DTC disabling error classes aren't needed anyway and you don't modify anything here.

(2) Error Code Block

This memory area contains all DTC codes known by the ECU. Codes are arranged into groups of four and each group forms one Error Path so all codes from the same group have the same Error Class ID. Most likely it was easier for ECU programmers to organize the processing of similar error codes this way and/or the position of code in the list provides some additional info about the error condition. You don't modify anything in this area - Error Code Block is used only to find the appropriate Error Path for each DTC.

(3) Error Path Block

This memory area contains Error Class IDs for each Error Path and this is where things get very interesting. To disable a particular DTC all you have to do is to write a zero to the appropriate location inside this block. I have located memory addresses for both Error Code and Error Path blocks for all software versions I have access to. The necessary tables are here:

http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/513_DTC.txt
http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/516_DTC.txt
http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/526_DTC.txt
http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/808_DTC.txt
http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/809_DTC.txt
http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/811_DTC.txt
http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/jeep/812_DTC.txt

For versions 513, 516, 526, 808 and 812 Error Code Block starts at $E3FDA and Error Path Block starts at $E4872.

For versions 809 and 811 Error Code Block starts at $E39F2 and Error Path Block starts at $E426C.

As I said before, there are still a lot of unknowns here. For example, according to the error code table 222 ($DE) error paths are possible. But error code block contains more than 222*4 codes and they don't have the associated error path. This could be just unused area reserved for future expansion but I am not 100% sure about it. And on 809/811 it doesn't even start where it is supposed to start so I left this area out in those files.

Practical example ... Disable P0102 DTC so you don't have CEL while using ORM (Off-Road Modification - disconnecting MAF sensor to turn EGR off):

Open the appropriate DTC file for your ECU version. My ECU is 513 so I'll open 513_DTC.txt and locate P0102 code inside the table:

[008] P0103 P0102 ----- -----: E4879=16

From the above data you can see that error path for P0102 is 008 and the Error Class ID (16) for this error path is at location $E4879. To disable P0102 all you have to do is to put zero at this location:

Map[$E4879]:=0;

This will also disable P0103 because it is in the same group and has the same error path.

Save the modified map, write it to the ECU and that's it :-)

I was driving with MAF disconnected and CEL turned off for a few weeks without any problem.

Disclaimer: This is all "gray area" and without source code we cannot possibly know how exactly does ECU/ECM work and what could be the additional consequences of this hack! So, if you decide to use it for whatever reason ... I am not responsible for anything - if you destroy your ECU or your car etc. Use at your own risk!

Note #1: EGR can be turned off using different method described in this thread but this is a very nice practical example of DTC disabling technique.

Note #2: I am using $ symbol for hexadecimal notation.

Note #3: I am not claiming that everything I wrote is 100% correct - all this is based on my own examinations, speculations and assumptions. If anyone has more info about EDC16 unit and EDC16 error handling I will be very happy if this knowledge can be shared here so we can all learn from it ...

So from the above post, there are some different versions of error handling, not listed is my 603. How can I determine the address for my 603(besides guess and check) to disable a particular code?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

when you save the file with ecm , the checksum is corrected in automatic , and the dtc table start at the same point of the 811 ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 93  Next