It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heavy duty torque converter options including Euro
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just because folks keep asking over on the main KJ CRD forum.

Per GDE the Euro option (OEM TC used after 2006 model year) PNs are
1.68037142AA - original as new but probably no longer in stock anywhere at least in the US
2.rebuilt units RL037142AA and as of 2/13/2013 R8037142AA have the same internals as the original "Euro"
these will handle all GDE tunes including, to the best of my knowledge, the Stage II turbo and its tune

SunCoast (http://www.suncoastconverters.com/) costs somewhat more but will handle way more than can be thrown at it. FYI if you are close enough they will do while you wait installs; they did mine. Staff is not always aware of this but if not ask to speak to Ron Wolverton, the owner.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: Heavy duty torque converter options including Euro
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I purchased a 2007-08 D3500 Ram Hemi torque converter and had it installed it works perfect my stall speed went down maybe 100 rpms. I was told that this is the torque converter that suncoast modifys so I purchased from a Chrysler dealer who lost there franchise ( 30% below cost ). GDE didn't think it was a good choice but if you look at the numbers: Jeep Liberty wgt. 4400 lbs Dodge Ram wgt. 6500 to 7000 lbs. horse power and torque and towing cap. I think its a no brainer. It did have a very slight shudder I put that red tube of friction modifier in and its perfect the shudder was slight. Maybe my tire height had something to do with that though p245/75/16 = 30.5". I think the D3500 Hemi can tow 10,000 plus so wheres the problem. :D :JEEPIN:

Rigid Industries Specter series Led light
Bilsteins P245/75/16 LTX MS2 Michelins Samcos
Perimeter alarm and Smith & Wesson M&P .40
I live by Detroit !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here's a much better option: http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/ The owner built diesel converters for years! It was much cheaper and theres no core to worry about. I just installed it yesterday in my CRD and I am VERY satisfied!! I say screw the Suncoast and Euro converters and go with these guys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 pm 

No matter what you decide to purchase, be aware of the numbers when you make your decision...
Read this thread, lots of good information on TC's for the CRD.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78775&hilit=+torque

Stock Mopar OEM TC is rated for 300 ft. lbs. max (406 Nm)
Mopar Euro TC is rated for 400 ft. lbs. max (~ 542 Nm)
Suncoast CRD-1ES TC is rated for 600 ft. lbs. max (813 Nm)

If you ever plan to increase the HP & torque of your CRD with a re-flash, be advised of the TC's limits.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Installed a billet unit from Florida Torque Converters. Very pleased with the unit. Made especially for the diesel from the "correct" housing, stall speed lowered to maximize torque. Price was $359 plus freight, no core exchange.

http://www.floridatorqueconverters.com/ ... 13-35.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:05 am 
LOST Addict

crdjoe wrote:
I purchased a 2007-08 D3500 Ram Hemi torque converter and had it installed it works perfect my stall speed went down maybe 100 rpms. I was told that this is the torque converter that suncoast modifys so I purchased from a Chrysler dealer who lost there franchise ( 30% below cost ). GDE didn't think it was a good choice but if you look at the numbers: Jeep Liberty wgt. 4400 lbs Dodge Ram wgt. 6500 to 7000 lbs. horse power and torque and towing cap. I think its a no brainer. It did have a very slight shudder I put that red tube of friction modifier in and its perfect the shudder was slight. Maybe my tire height had something to do with that though p245/75/16 = 30.5". I think the D3500 Hemi can tow 10,000 plus so wheres the problem. :D :JEEPIN:

Thanks for the info. I'm soon to install the one I have sitting in my garage. I wonder though, what speed was the shudder at? Also, what does lowering the stall speed 100 rpms feel like? I don't like the sound of needing friction modifier to make it work properly. hmm, so now there is zero shudder?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:42 am 
LOST Newbie

thefunk wrote:
Installed a billet unit from Florida Torque Converters. Very pleased with the unit. Made especially for the diesel from the "correct" housing, stall speed lowered to maximize torque. Price was $359 plus freight, no core exchange.

http://www.floridatorqueconverters.com/ ... 13-35.html

$359 plus shipping? Isn't this the same one on Ebay that's going for $109 Buy It Now and $35 shipping?

What's the general consensus this TC vs. the Euro? Given that GDE has a couple of CRDs with the Euro, it seems like it's the gold standard. Any reason to go with this one instead?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:49 am 
LOST Newbie

No that converter is for a gas engine mated to a 42rle. Couldn't be more different. As for consensus, there is none. It's all about your budget and what you want to try. I got the Florida unit because it's cheaper than a euro, build better than a euro, heavier which smooths out idle somewhat, and had a low stall speed. How you spend your money is your choice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ahhh, I didn't noticed that the 545RFE was only for the 5.7L gasser and not the CRD. Quite a price difference between the 2 $109 vs. $359.

Did you also install the Transgo kit along with it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Absolutely. Also updated the front pump. There's a valve there that gets changed for something like $26.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Could I trouble you to provide links to where you purchased the Transgo kit, pump and valve? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bought the valve off eBay, the valve was something my trans guy did so no idea what the part number is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I noticed that Florida Torque Converters has a 13-37 TC for a 2WD V8 545RFE for sale. Can anyone tell me if its a better option than the 13-35 for a GDE tuned 2.8L CRD? All the stats look the same but it lists it as "low stall". I have no idea about TC's so thought its safer to ask.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I talked to the guy at FTC at length about all options. They custom build the low stall, high torque converter for the CRD's, I specifically asked him about using a TC for a hemi and he felt that was an inferior option to the unit they build just for the crd. I've got about 20k on mine, maybe more, quite a bit of that pulling a trailer, and I'm very happy with it. Never a hint of shudder. Having said that, I also had the valving on the transmission upgraded with the Transgo kit and an update to the front pump to make sure there was sufficient oil pressure to keep the converter locked up. Doesn't matter how good your TC is if your valve body can't deliver the pressure.