It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding Secondary 2 Micron Fuel Filter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:59 pm 

Completed adding a 2 micron secondary fuel filter between the OEM fuel filter/water separator. Now have a true duel filter setup! OEM filter still in place and second 2 micron in place to catch anything the Mopar filter misses!
The OEM filter is grossly inadequate, ~30 micron @ 98% efficiency in 2/5/15 micron particle size, at best and will not protect the injectors from harmful particles including emulsified water in fuel.

Built a bracket and located the additional filter in front of the OEM filter. Also added a small gauge to monitor the outlet fuel pressure leaving the new second filter feeding the injection pump.
Note: I do have the in-tank fuel pump setup...
Many thanks to Ranger1 for his great guidance and information on this project!
If anyone wants the bracket drawings, let me know and I will post or send them to you.
All parts were obtained at http://usafilterstore.com/
Part Numbers:
Napa 4770 - Wix 24770, Hydraulic Filter Adapter Base
Napa 3528 - Wix 33528, H-D Fuel Filter
NPT fittings obtained locally.

To see all pictures: https://postimg.cc/gallery/11aa7ls5o/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Adding Secondary 2 Micron Fuel Filter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:53 pm 

Two very good articles by George Morrison on diesel fuel contamination and the need for better filtration in today's modern diesel engine... :wink:

Both are PDF's so you will need Adobe Reader to view.
http://nicktane.com/images/HDT_article_10-10-03.pdf
http://nicktane.com/images/February%20HDT%20Fuel%20Article%20Part%20II.pdf

Good reading to understand the subject... 8)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:34 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you for the part list. I just finished installing mine. I used some L channel scrap metal I had on hand and banged it into a bracket with BFH! Here is what I ended up with.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Great stuff, thanks for posting! How often do you guys plan on changing the 2 micron? Anybody have a feel for how long they actually last? I want to do this mod, but I don't want to be stranded from mildly contaminated fuel either... :?: I mean, I carry an extra filter in the jeep, but if it wipes two and I'm 40 miles in the backcountry, I'm in trouble. Hmm, time to start carrying a jerry can with known good diesel, if there is such a thing.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:18 pm 
LOST Member

I plan on replacing it every time I change the OEM filter. I really installed it as a cheap insurance for the injector life. Injector is more than $500 a piece. The filters bought in bulk are only $7 a pop so why not? If you get in trouble on the road or in the woods then you can just simply by pass 2 micron filter and continue driving on OEM filter. I wouldn't worry about that issue.

2nd gen fuel head with 2nd stage 2 micron filter, in-tank lift pump, G2 Rear Diff Cover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:11 pm 

If you notice in the first picture, I have a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the secondary filter (feed line to CP3 pump), I will change both the primary and secondary filters anytime the pressure on the outlet side of the secondary filter drops below 10 psig during normal driving when accelerating hard or uphill... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 am 
LOST Addict

That's a pretty nice setup! Do the in tank pumps run off the same power supply wire as the in line pumps do? My CRD had the in line when I bought it, but it only cycles at startup for a bit, right? I guess the in tank must be wired to run all of the time since you're looking for constant pressure, never vacuum?

Thanks again :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:04 pm 
LOST Member

In tank lift pump powers with ignition powered 12v. Nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 pm 
LOST Addict

alright, thanks. I actually like the inline because if it fails, the jeep still runs. Are any of the in tank pumps passive, or whatever they call the inline pumps that will allow fluid to pass even if it quits pumping? hmm, now I'm wondering if not have an in-tank that runs all of the time is hard on the CP3, or does it care?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:51 pm 
LOST Addict

My inline lift pump is powered by the fuel pump relay under the hood, just like the in tank fuel pump is.
Turn the key on and it will run for about 30 seconds or so, then shut off.
Once the engine is started, the lift pump runs continuously untill the engine is shut off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:38 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
That's a pretty nice setup! Do the in tank pumps run off the same power supply wire as the in line pumps do? My CRD had the in line when I bought it, but it only cycles at startup for a bit, right? I guess the in tank must be wired to run all of the time since you're looking for constant pressure, never vacuum?

Thanks again :JEEPIN:

Yes, the in-tank pump runs for ~15 seconds when you first cycle the ignition switch to the ON position. Once the motor is started, the in-tank pump runs continuously maintaining positive pressure to the suction side of the CP3 injection pump. My in-tank pump maintains ~ 13 to 15 psig on the pressure gauge at all times depending on engine loading.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 pm 
LOST Addict

ah, ok. Thanks! I thought mine only ran initially, but sounds like it's probably running when the engine is running also, since it's wired off of the factory wiring. I like the idea of a gauge to keep an eye on filter condition. I don't want to replace a perfectly good filter haphazardly.
Yet another mod to do :5SHOTS:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

Awesome ... excellent work, and great install pictures!

I'll definitely be taking a leaf from your book.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

I Did this mod also, was about to find a place outside engine compartment after Kennedy lift to put the big cat filter, thinking it would be too tight a fit in engine compartment .
Thanks for Pictures especially.
I put mine inline before the factory filter thinking it would keep original filter cleaner longer and the 2 micron would need changing more often and let the original be the water separator mainly and the original is more expensive.
I realize this configuration prevents using gauge for final pressure to pump but can tell you when 2 micron is getting obstructed.

Does anyone see any other advantages to use the auxiliary 2 Micron filter before or after the factory filter?

If used after factory filter how is air bleed out of the line? ?Loosen exit fuel hose a little? I usually don't need to use bleeder pump anyway I just fill filter with fuel (I always use half seafoam in filter when changing) and open valve till lift pump pushes fuel out with key on and then close it.

Hint: Helps to leave enough fuel line to be able to unbolt and pull up auxiliary filter with housing far enough to change filter easily and for getting to original filter housing to lift it out same way to change it.( no crawling under, or diesel dripping on you)

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:04 pm 

In my opinion it makes no sense to install the 2 micron filter before the factory OEM filter/water separator since it is only rated at ~20 microns new and degrades from there. Most all filter setups I have ever serviced on diesels or hydraulic systems have the primary filter as the water/filter and the very fine micron filter as the secondary filter to catch anything the primary may miss. Basicly the primary filters out the big stuff and water, and the secondary filters out the smaller stuff the primary lets pass through!

As to venting, yes filling the new filter with clean fresh fuel helps, but is not necessary if you install a simple vent on the outlet side of the secondary filter as I have done on my setup. This allows me to install new filters, open the small vent valve which I have a small hose attached to the valve and route it into a clean container. I simply cycle the key with the in-tank pump setup and it runs for a 20 seconds and purges all the air out of the filters and lines. I generally do this for 3 cycles to ensure no air is left in the system and close the vent valve during the middle of the third cycle. I then recover the vented fuel by pouring it back into the tank, no waste.... :wink:

This is a updated picture of my secondary filter with AN fittings / braided hoses and vent valve with hard plastic bleed pipe:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:52 am 
LOST Addict

I didn't notice the bleeding valve on the previous picture . That is a much better angle for the sensor and valve. I made my bracket out of 1 inch wide 1/8 th inch aluminum (made two out of 36 inch piece with some left over. This was very easy to bend and hopefully won't develop stress cracks.

I guess even if one didn't have a lift pump you could still get the air out even downstream with then manual pump.

Dual filter setups I have seen also put the lower micron filter second but either way all the fuel gets filtered down to 2 micron. Unless water effects the 2 micron filter somehow, I guess it depends on which filter gets dirty quicker 2 micron first should filter out almost all debris and get dirty much quicker . I assume both filters would get dirty closer to the same time if it is second.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:36 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
I didn't notice the bleeding valve on the previous picture . That is a much better angle for the sensor and valve. I made my bracket out of 1 inch wide 1/8 th inch aluminum (made two out of 36 inch piece with some left over. This was very easy to bend and hopefully won't develop stress cracks.

I guess even if one didn't have a lift pump you could still get the air out even downstream with then manual pump.

Dual filter setups I have seen also put the lower micron filter second but either way all the fuel gets filtered down to 2 micron. Unless water effects the 2 micron filter somehow, I guess it depends on which filter gets dirty quicker 2 micron first should filter out almost all debris and get dirty much quicker . I assume both filters would get dirty closer to the same time if it is second.

Updated picture to current installed items... :wink:
Donaldson primary & secondary fuel filters
Donaldson Primary fuel filter/water separator on OEM filter head with clear bowl on bottom of filter so you can see if any water accumulates:

Filter Data:
Primary Fuel FilterNon OEM WIF Sensor Port Thread: ½ x 20 IN
Mounting Thread Size: 16 X1.5 MM (same as OEM)
Donaldson Filter Part #P550588 11 micron rating @ 99% efficiency
Sensor Port Thread ½ x 20
Donaldson Clear drain bowl Part No. P569758
Donaldson Clear drain bowl Twist & Drain Valve with 1/2"-20 UNF Threaded Port Sensor / Donaldson Part #P550865
Racor 1/2"-20 UNF WIF Sensor / Racor Part #RK 30964

Secondary Fuel Filter
Mounting Thread Size: 1-14 UN
Donaldson Part #P551313 / 3 micron rating @99% efficiency (Beta 75 or higher)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel

Google thinks the clear bowl is Donaldson P569758

and that 550865 is only the twist seal at the bottom

(the more I look at your setup - the better I like it)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm 

ATXKJ wrote:
WWDiesel

Google thinks the clear bowl is Donaldson P569758

and that 550865 is only the twist seal at the bottom

(the more I look at your setup - the better I like it)

You are most correct Sir, somehow I missed the clear bowl part No. in the original post! :oops:
Thanks for pointing this out, I went back and edited the post and added the clear bowl part number; an oversite in copy & pasting from a file... :roll:

Donaldson Clear drain bowl part No.: P569758

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:52 pm 
LOST Addict

So is the 3 micron Donaldson better or cheaper than the wix filter? Have you accumulated any visible water?
The filter head is only about $17 right now at usafilterstore! The wix filters are about $7.50

Mech fan, VH & AC delete