It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Different piston ring sizes for 05-06 crd?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:04 am 
LOST Addict

ahh ok, that makes sense. You're on the same mission as me. My latest thought is that if we can't get the old rings. We order one new piston and rings, and pull the neighboring piston, clean all of the carbon off of it, and weight it. Hopefully the new ones are the same on the combustion end, and hopefully they are a little bit heavier. Then we would just have to shave a little weight evenly off the underside until it matches the old one.
Hopefully we can just get the darn old rings!

*I think they are stamped with their weight, if that's the case, we won't even have to pull the neighbor to match it. Just make it the same as old ones stamp.

If the new ones are lighter... well, I'll probably ask my machine shop friends for the smartest way to add a little weight :frankie:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok guys I got the rings from ID parts and it turns out that I have the older style rings. So here is a fun story. I emailed ID parts just how do they measure their gap and they said in cylinder which is what I figured. Tho to me their specs of in cylinder ring gap was way to much. And after a little playing I believe I found that the older style rings are thicker and newer are thinner. That's where the .095" and .125" come in. I would post some pics but I do not know how.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone found the old style piston ring sets as I ordered a set from IDParts and they do not fit seems I may have the old style .125 top gap rings do not wat to buy 4 new pistons at 289.50 each another ripoff on these engines
This is on IDParts but you have to click onto a second page....
IMPORTANT: These piston rings fit newer-style pistons only!!! The 2.8L was equipped from the factory with two different style pistons, first with a piston that had a .125" top ring gap, while the later revised pistons have a .095 top ring gap. These piston rings CANNOT BE USED WITH THE EARLY STYLE PISTONS with the .125" top ring gap.

Ring sets are not available for the early style pistons. If you CRD is equipped with the early style pistons you must replace the entire piston with the new revised piston, VM number 10252098F, Chrysler number 5142544AB.

I only had 160k on the engine and had done the timing belt at 140 now top end messed up ..I bought a engine trans etc from a 40k wreck on fleabay and am continuing on with the rebuild of original engine ..I am dissapointed these things should have ran for 500000 at least before all these problems @#$%^&*(

1986 cherokee pioneer v6
1983 wagoneer 360 v8