It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fumoto Valve "Lip" Inside Pan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

So as I was deciding on whether or not to get a Fumoto valve for my CRD I came across a lot of people speculating that the fumoto would penetrate into the pan and so there would be a layer of oil in the pan that would not be drained when the valve was opened. Well I came to my first oil change for my new (to me) CRD and the threads were stripped real bad by the PO (as I had feared but I hoped it was just because he had forgotten the copper washer). So I considered an oversized plug, helicoil or rethreading the pan and finally said "screw it, Ill do it right." So I ordered the pan and the Fumoto so it would never happen again. Having these on hand with the pan I had the unique opportunity to see the inside of the oil pan with the Fumoto valve in it and share that with you guys. Long story short, it certainly penetrates into the pan (about 2 threads depth as you can see). But looking at the pan shape and with some redneck science I think it can be easily 'overcome' somewhat. So the pan has 'dimples' in it that will store oil in a regular oil change where the vehicle is drained while level anyway. So by lifting the front end a little while draining it you can cause the oil to pool at the back of the pan and likely drain more of the bad stuff than you would have with a normal plug (and without the risk of stripping the precious threads). So without further adieu here is a brand spanking new pan with a fumoto all up in it. If you want broader pictures of what the pan looks like inside or what happens when VM Motori leaves a steel plug in an aluminum pan in a warehouse I can post those too.

Post subject: Re: Fumoto Valve "Lip" Inside Pan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'd like to see the full pan just for my own knowledge and curiosity.

11 Mini Cooper - Wife's
Motorcycles:: KTM 650 ADV (Katuki), 05 BMW 1200GS, 08 Yamaha WR250R

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here she is. The hole on the left side leads to the oil filter. The oil filter is on the pan but is completely sealed from the pan as I can tell anyhow. It sends and receives oil out of two different holes that lead up into the block. Theres a hookup for a pressure sensor on the back of the filter but also a long tube leading from the filter to the very front of the pan where there was a plug. I haven't crawled up under my jeep to see if there is some sort of sensor up there or not. The cut you see on the right is the dipstick tube. Also its sort of difficult to see but there are random dimples in the pan where I suspect a bit of oil would pool and escape being drained at an oil change.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

thank you for posting,.. i'll be sure to modify my valve via grinder/dremmel nect oil change :-)

GDE ECO Tune ... debating GDE or BB turbo
RRO Rockfather Delux

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Last oil change I took out my Fumoto and used a hacksaw to cut into the face that protrudes into the pan, about 2 threads deep. That way there are two small channels for the remaining oil to drain through when I flip the valve. Small difference, but hey...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:42 am 
LOST Member

I would not be to concerned about the small amount of oil left in the pan. Unless you flush the complete motor, old oil will remain in journals, sitting on top of the head, behind the front crankcase cover and within the oil pump etc..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:20 am 
LOST Member

Erik.Briggs wrote:

Here she is. The hole on the left side leads to the oil filter. The oil filter is on the pan but is completely sealed from the pan as I can tell anyhow. It sends and receives oil out of two different holes that lead up into the block. Theres a hookup for a pressure sensor on the back of the filter but also a long tube leading from the filter to the very front of the pan where there was a plug. I haven't crawled up under my jeep to see if there is some sort of sensor up there or not. The cut you see on the right is the dipstick tube. Also its sort of difficult to see but there are random dimples in the pan where I suspect a bit of oil would pool and escape being drained at an oil change.

There isn't another sensor at the front of the pan. It's just a plug.

Mike

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat