It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good cheap bluetooth scan tool
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Of all the different bluetooth scan tools on ebay which one works best. I will be using it on Windows PC & Android phone.

"WISH LIST"
3" Rocky Road Rockfather lift kit
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C
Guage Pod w/ Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp

Post subject: Re: Good cheap bluetooth scan tool
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:45 am 
LOST Member

I have found good and cheap with the Bluetooth adapters isnt a good combo. I have one but its ONLY android

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:22 pm 
LOST Addict

If you plan on using it with an other car I honestly think it's worth spending the money on OBDLink LX or MX. The speed that it transfers data on my F150 is epic. It doesnt make the jeep readings any faster but I'm pretty sure the jeep's ECU uses vacuum tubes so it can barely function.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:04 am 
LOST Member

When I was having struggles with the CRD and needed to read the codes I picked up an MX from scantool.net. Good price and works without issue. That said, I have found the key ingredient isn't necessarily the ODBII adapter, its what code reading software you select. I purchased ScanXL from Palmer Performance. So far I am disappointed. Not only does it not read any of the BCM codes (like the ESP/BAS trouble light that is on), but it doesn't even read all of the ECM codes. I used it to read/reset all of the codes after the engine rebuild and got down to nothing more than the standard EGR codes (I installed the stage1&2 weeks kit). Took the CRD to GDE for their EcoTune. First thing Keith did was read/reset the list of codes that were still in the ECM. And here's the fun part (for those who followed my nightmare rebuild thread), there was a code for a faulty #3 injector. You might recall it was cylinder #3 that dropped the valve and destroyed the #3 injector. Had I known that, like say at step 1 of my troubleshooting process, I would have pulled the #3 injector and been on my way to solving the issue much faster (and might I say cheaper) than the process I followed.

So for me the key question is what code reading software is best for reading ALL of the codes in these CRDs?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 am 
LOST Addict

There is a free version of torque you could try. I have yet to get any codes more serious than the egr(after weeks) and a bad glow plug code but it did see those.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:49 pm 
LOST Member

X2 torque.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I ordered an ODBLink MX. I am getting ready to do the timing belt, water pump & weeks. The check engine light is on & I hope its just the EGR. I had the MAF unplugged & when I plugged it back in the light never went out. Hopefully this finds all the codes so I can take care of whatever it is while I'm in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:32 pm 
LOST Addict

gt40freak wrote:
I ordered an ODBLink MX. I am getting ready to do the timing belt, water pump & weeks. The check engine light is on & I hope its just the EGR. I had the MAF unplugged & when I plugged it back in the light never went out. Hopefully this finds all the codes so I can take care of whatever it is while I'm in there.

I had this exact same problem with my MAF. Now I get a constant reading of ~18g/s of air no matter the engine speed. I just deleted the MAF related codes in my tune so now the light stays off an nothing shows up when I scan for codes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:08 am 
LOST Newbie

I got the MX today & checked for codes. Nothing came up in Torque, OBDLink or OBDwiz. I did have to replace the boost hose while the MAF was unplugged about a year ago. Could it haven't been an underboost code that is not showing now because the hose is fixed? I am not driving it right now because the water pump is squeeling really bad & I don't want to loose the timing belt. This weekend is going to be fun because most of the parts will be here. Just the weeks kit will come sometime next week.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found there is a trick to connecting the MX to my 06 CRD. I use the ODBLink app in Android.
I plug it in with key off
Tap connect in ODBLink app
It shows a couple different protocols then stops
Then turn on the key
Let it connect to about 2 more protocols & start engine
It will finish connecting
If only rpm speedometer work in the app it didn't fully connect and will not show codes.

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

gt40freak wrote:
I found there is a trick to connecting the MX to my 06 CRD. I use the ODBLink app in Android.
I plug it in with key off
Tap connect in ODBLink app
It shows a couple different protocols then stops
Then turn on the key
Let it connect to about 2 more protocols & start engine
It will finish connecting
If only rpm speedometer work in the app it didn't fully connect and will not show codes.

Torque never could find the correct OBD protocol for me so I manually setup the Jeeps profile to use ISO9141-2. i dont know if you can do the same in the OBDLink app, but if so, that is the protocol to use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
Torque never could find the correct OBD protocol for me so I manually setup the Jeeps profile to use ISO9141-2. i dont know if you can do the same in the OBDLink app, but if so, that is the protocol to use.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"WISH LIST"
JBA Sway Bar Disconnect
Suncoast T/C