It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blown motor
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all-I bought a 2006 liberty CRD Limited new and have enjoyed it the whole time .
I have 124,000 miles on it, did the timing belt,water pump, pullys etc. at 107,000.
Have been using Mobil ! turbo diesel truck oil since 60,000 miles.
Now for the bad part- Was driving cross country at night in Utah where the speed limit is 80 MPH.
Had the cruise control set at 80 and seemed to be doing just fine until I began ascending a grade and the tranny downshifted and hit red line. I killed the cruise control and thought that was a first,and continued on. Reset cruise and on the next grade it did the same thing and there was a higher than usual diesel sound at RPM above 2800 Rpm. After the sun came up I could see dark smoke coming from the exhaust but Jeep was running along at 75 MPH just fine. Stopped got fuel twice on the way that day and made it to CA.
The next day I drove about 30 miles to a diesel injection specialty shop and left it to them thinking it was a bad injector. NOTE-It ran very rough on the way and I manually shifted through the gears to get it to run 30 miles.
They change the injector out and reprogram the new one into the computer and change the oil.
The guy at the shop said the oil looked like crap as it drained.
They got in to test drive it and it made it about 2 block and was making a lot of noise and running rough.
SOOOOOOO compression check shows loss in at least one cyl. and when it runs it is puffing quite a bit out of the breather tube and running as if on 3 or even 2 cylinders.
Plus I think it has a rod knock or bad bearing sound but what do I know.
Bottom line it seems that under computer control of the tranny it passed red line in cruise control twice which has never happened before, as I drive that same road 3 times a year for the past 10 years.
This was supposed to be a 300,000 mile engine and it fails at 124,000
My Q would be ,does anyone know if VM Motori is interested in the engines when they fail and even more important, do they have a replacement program?
Otherwise I found a motor with a 3 yr 100,000 warranty for 4500 and another 1500 to put it in.
Another Q would be , is there anyone out there in Lost Jeep land that would want a one owner Jeep CRD with bad motor that they may be interested in replacing or repairing?
Another note- I had the tranny rebuilt last year under an extended warranty and the cost was about 7500$,but I haven't had a shudder or shifting problem since.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Blown motor
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:25 pm 
LOST Addict

$7500 for a rebuilt transmission :shock:
-If it's a junkyard/salvage/used car parts place offering the engine for $4500 then I bet that the rockers might fail before the warranty expires, or soon after, and then who's paying for the labor and shipping costs, and are they going to try to someone blame you for the failure?
-That's really lame how cruise control downshifts on hills in any vehicle in my opinion, I think it should just disengage CC

-VM isn't in the picture, And Chrysler couldn't care less.

-some of us are restoring these, but they don't go for much with a toasted engine

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:13 am 
LOST Addict

Blown engine huh?
The symptoms certainly are not good.
If it were me, I would pull the cylinder head off to find out exactly whats broken, then decide whether to rebuild or replace the engine.

There are no good options here.
Either spend a bunch of money to get it fixed or loose a bunch of money trying to sell it.
Doing all the work yourself will help save some money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

:JEEPIN: So did you ever jet your problem figured out? Where are you out of? My 05 sport just went through a rough patch where I didn't think it was going to make it. But with 100,000+ on this engine and 375k on the whole vehicle I wasn't surprise. May be time to sell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

crashcapt29 wrote:
:JEEPIN: So did you ever jet your problem figured out? Where are you out of? My 05 sport just went through a rough patch where I didn't think it was going to make it. But with 100,000+ on this engine and 375k on the whole vehicle I wasn't surprise. May be time to sell.

You have 375,000 on your Jeep Liberty? :shock:

How many times have the wheels fallen off? :D

Why did you replace the engine? What happened?

I have so many questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I threw a rod bearing due to not keep up with the oil @ 260k. Wife drove it mostly. I was lucky to find a guy in Dallas that had bought the whole front sub assembly with about 5k on it. he wanted to try to put in his Wrangler. Just had it sitting in his garage and put it on CL. Bought it for about $2500 and spent 2k having it put in. Sold my old one to a Lost Member in Houston. Anyways been going ever since. I just replaced the fuel/water separator, $160.00 and 120 miles round trip to the dealer to get it. I was having bad power issue last weak so I changed the oil after putting in some Motor Medic flush and slug came out. So I ran it for 2 days then did a 2x oil change w/ MM flush and its ok now. power is back and smoke is down. May do one more next week for the sake of it. Transmission was rebuilt last year. I drove it too much in Full Time 4x4. Cable was broke. Fixed both. Looks like we will be parting with it one way or another. Reliability is in question and I get scared every time my wife calls. Getting new Hyundai Tucson next week. I'd keep it but I already have 2 other vehicles.
I'll get some pictures and post them. I listed it for sale to see if there was a market. We'll see.