It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you release the OEM Fuel line connectors?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:14 pm 
LOST Member

SOLUTION, WITH PICS, IN OTHER POST (BELOW)

Somewhere I recall "push the connector inward, then it will pull off", but I may be mistaken. Is there more to it?
Some Fords have a similar setup, but you have to use multiple picks (or their special tool) to 'hold' an internal 'lip' back in order for the connector to pull-off. Big fun. But KJ connectors... any 'tricks'? I'm removing the first flex line that runs from the tank-top fitting to the beginning of the metal line, and the quicker I can swap-in the kennedy pump fuel-line setup, the better.
I've got the tank sufficiently lowered to proceed, so a clear explanation from someone who has actually removed the supply-connector at the tank fitting would be hugely appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll softpaw the connector to see if it really is as simple as "push-pull".
Thanks!

-If this is explained in a million other threads, sorry, but imo LJ's search-engine algorithms suck. You can vary keywords all day and still not find the most relevant thread. Given that fact, I advise other thread-starters to include associative keywords with the first post. In theory, subsequent posts to the topic/thread shouldn't need to bother. Using effective, relevant keywords should enhance searchability, thereby reducing both LJ members' search-frustration as well as thread-topic redundancy.

KEYWORDS; removing connectors, removing connector, fuel connectors, diesel-line connectors, OEM connector, stock connectors, fuel-line connectors, air in fuel, air-in-fuel, fuel-supply problems, fuel supply troubleshooting, fuel-pump, fuel pump installation, installing fuel pump, kennedy, inline, in-line,

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Last edited by Gypsy62 on Sat May 07, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How do you release the OEM Fuel line connectors?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:35 pm 
LOST Member

OF COURSE it has stupid fn fuel-line I.D. retainer-tabs, right? (I.D.="inside diameter" for white-collar LJ members).
I fab'd a tool for Ford lines, but donated it to a WVOer when I went back to nursing the pump-ugly OPEC nipple.
I'll go buy the fuel-fitting slide-release tool set manyana. Unless I Baja-dream a fast-fix tool...
On the 'upside', at least this means the tank-top fitting and downstream metal line have stock 'barbs' for the OEM connectors; those barbs should insure an air/fuel-tight fit when double-clamped to the kennedy pump replacement hose (I'm thinking one clamp on each side of barb...).

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:49 pm 
LOST Member

PLOT THICKENS!
So, I reviewed my pics. ZOOM IN: What's up with the hole in the fuel-line connector with the little green tab ???

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

hmm, I think I used a tiny screwdriver in those holes, maybe 2, been too long. But, they are easy to break when you remove them. But, if you only mess with the supply side, who cares if you break the quick connect, because you're cutting it off right? I mean, you want to cut that side off and replace it with quality diesel fuel line and hose clamps, because it likes to suck air. Learn on that one, and then don't break the second one, or replace it with hose and clamps also if you break it.
Or, someone will probably chime in with how to remove them properly. I'd still replace the supply side though, they have been know to let a lot of air in.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for input.

Absolutely: BOTH OEM connectors are coming off, along with their attendant stretch of contoured OEM plastic fuel line.
I'd gladly mangle-off the downstream connector, which attaches to (durable) metal fuel line. However, the tank-top fitting is PLASTIC (arrgh), hence something you do NOT want to damage trying to remove the attached fuel-line connector.
For a ford, I recall cutting a piece off a plastic water-jug to wrap-around a fuel-line which could then slide inside the connector ID, pressing the tabs outward and allowing separation without line damage.
Goofball? Definitely. Effective? Affirmative.
Notwithstanding CRD-experienced better advice, tomorrow AM I'll give that a go before pedaling for the official tool.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 am 
LOST Addict

no problem, good idea. Humid there, that ring looks pretty corroded. I think I just used a large screwdriver and hammer to rotate the metal ring if you are pulling the entire assembly.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:07 pm 
LOST Member

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

So, here are pics. Though I used jewelers screwdrivers, a Subaru tbelt tensioner 'hold' rod, and a Beijing tools pick, it APPEARS all you need to do is PUSH-IN ON THE COLORED TAB TO RELEASE!
Is this just mine? Nobody else has seen this?
JUST PRESS IN
Same with in-line yellow connector:
PRESS TAB:

Tools I used for 2x30min instead of pressing the tabs in (2x5seconds):
Plug-end pic:

Obviously, I intentionally chopped the OEM fuel line to ease removal.

BONUS PIC: adopted Mexican pit-bull thrashing donor sleeping-bag!

Last edited by Gypsy62 on Sat May 07, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:04 am 
LOST Addict

I can't remember, but please keep up the fine entertainment :JEEPIN:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete