It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine looses power when given throttle and shakes then ok
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi I'm a new member. Have had a Liberty
CRD for a year now. 150k miles I need to do some preventative maintenance fuel filter T-stat water, pump timeing belt. Still don't know if there is a stock lift pump upstream of the Cp3.
My question is my engine will bog at limes shake and loose power for a split second it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. With all of the fuel path and valves associated to hp pump fuel metering etc. where do I start trouble shooting . I was thinking gauges and running a scan but I want to be proactive. I love this little power plant and I want to keep it running forever :JEEPIN:
Thanks for any help
Rob

Post subject: Re: Engine looses power when given throttle and shakes then
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 pm 
LOST Addict

You should post this in the CRD love that torque section.

Naturally, you hear it in the passenger side because thats where the exhaust is.

You probably have a air in fuel problem.
Use the hand pump on the fuel filter head to pump up the filter and open the bleed screw to get the air out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Vmcrdrod wrote:
CRD for a year now. 150k miles I need to do some preventative maintenance fuel filter T-stat water, pump timeing belt. Still don't know if there is a stock lift pump upstream of the Cp3.
My question is my engine will bog at limes shake and loose power for a split second it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. With all of the fuel path and valves associated to hp pump fuel metering etc. where do I start trouble shooting . I was thinking gauges and running a scan but I want to be proactive. I love this little power plant and I want to keep it running forever :JEEPIN:
Thanks for any help
Rob

You have a lot of CRD owners sharing your enthusiasm for this little diesel, but it does have its problems and they require quality upgrades if you want to keep it running forever. Do not cheap out here, and be wary of some of the advice given on this forum - or anywhere else on the internet - by people who think they can perform MacGyver inspired repairs and upgrades and have a vehicle with long-term reliability.

90% of the CRDs problems can be traced to the pollution control standards foisted on it by the EPA. Trust me when I say that there were valid reasons why VW cheated on it's emissions for their diesel engines.

The Liberty CRD, amazingly, was not manufactured with an in-tank lift pump. Unless you have performed a lift pump upgrade your self or can hear the pump power up when you switch on the ignition key, then it is unlikely that you have one. It is an important upgrade and recommended by virtually every CRD owner who has one.

PM sent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 pm 

Vmcrdrod wrote:
Thanks for any help
Rob

Welcome to the forum! Lots of very helpful and knowledgeable people on here more than willing to help answer any questions you might have, just ask!

I would strongly recommend installing an in-tank fuel pump!!! A majority of owners have installed a lift pump or in-tank lift pump to cure any air in fuel problems!
The absolute best way to ensure you never have air infusion in the fuel system ever again is to install an in-tank fuel pump like the Carter P76148M in-tank fuel pump or an equivalent!
Your Jeep is already factory wired to a connector under the back seat on the drivers side for the in-tank pump including a fuel pump relay in the Power Distribution Center and the ECM already has the logic loaded for operation of the pump!
(The fuel pump relay runs the pump for ~15 seconds when you switch the key to the ON position and then runs the pump continuously when you start the engine)
It is a fuel pump for a diesel like the ones used in the Dodge Cummins Ram trucks.
You will be amazed at how much better the engine runs and performs with the addition of an in-tank fuel pump!!!

Additional in-tank fuel pump part numbers: AIRTEX-E7181M, DELPHI-FG1224, MOPAR-5143160AA

A properly installed in-tank lift pump will ensure absolutely NO air infusion into the fuel system period! :!:
An in-tank lift pump puts the entire fuel system under a positive (+) pressure from where it first exits the fuel pump inside the fuel tank through all the fuel lines and fittings, through the fuel filter head, heater, and filter, all the way to the back of the CP3 injection pump.
ANY LEAK anywhere on the system will BE SELF EVIDENT and show up very quickly as fuel leaking out.
Air simply cannot get into the system while it is under 10-15 psig of pressure!!! :D

If you opt to do the wiring harness mod yourself, all you will have to add is two wires from under the rear seat to the top of the fuel tank. The OEM fuel line fittings are designed for positive pressure, not vacuum, and will work just fine with the in-tank pump install and will not require any changes...

These two links below will answer any questions concerning installing an in-tank lift pump and / or wiring it up properly.
http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/
viewtopic.php?t=26385&highlight=

Seth at Sasquatch Parts has both the fuel pumps and correct wiring harness listed on his web site, Link: > https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/
Link:> https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... 5143160AA/

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I will 2nd(or 3rd) that the in-tank lift pump is well worth it. The install really isnt that bad if you have your own tools and can do a little wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok I've looked into it and the price looks good but for ease of installation what do you think of going with the fass air and water removal system with integrated fuel pump? I talked to fass today they said the duramax system might work but it's output is 10 psi. And from what I've read the crd co3 has a 9 lb input. Do you think this might be an alternativ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:40 pm 

Vmcrdrod wrote:
Ok I've looked into it and the price looks good but for ease of installation what do you think of going with the fass air and water removal system with integrated fuel pump? I talked to fass today they said the duramax system might work but it's output is 10 psi. And from what I've read the crd co3 has a 9 lb input. Do you think this might be an alternativ?

An in-line pump will work and some are running them with good success. Still have to be sure you have no air in leakage on the suction side of the in-line pump (fitting/connections). Most who go this route still need to drop the tank and replace the slip on factory fuel line fitting with a clamp on hose type. So you still need to drop the fuel tank anyway. :roll:

The OEM "O" ring type fuel line fittings are designed to seal under pressure, not vacuum, so by placing the fuel pump inside the fuel tank as all gas models and most Dodge diesel trucks have OEM, it insures absolutely no air in-leakage into the fuel system as it puts the entire system under positive pressure!

Your Jeep already has a factory installed fuel pump relay and proper logic and is wired all the way to a connector under a rear seat so all you have to add if you install the in-tank pump is two wires from this connector to the top of the fuel tank (about 3 ft.).
Everything else stays the same! Dropping the tank is not a real hard job! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here's a good buy on the Airtex E7181M fuel pump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-E7181M-F ... BW&vxp=mtr

151K mi. 04/19
F37 w/no shudder
2nd gen filter head
SAMCO Silicone Turbo Hoses
Airtex E7181M Lift pump/Sasquatch plug-and-play harness
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/
MANN ProVent 200
Weeks stage 1&2
GDE ECO Tune by Green Diesel Engineering
OME 2" lift/Bilstein shocks
IRO rear UCA w/WWDiesel Bracket