It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIX for automatic being Stuck in LOW gear
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:15 pm 
LOST Member

My 2006 CRD Sport got stuck in LOW gear. The shifter could not move to 2nd gear, drive, or any other setting. Also, you might have this issue and not know it if you never go to LOW gear, I noticed that going from drive to park was more difficult in the last few week, this was why. Going to low gear will cause the spring to fall of the rack and lock into place. If the shifter is force it will break the cable. I watched a few youtube videos and talked to a transmission tech and got the fix, it will take about 2 hours and costs about $30 for new oil, twice that cost if you are due for a new filter.

This car has 220K on it, and got a trans filter 12K ago so I did not replace the filter and gasket again. First, I removed the shift cable from the transmission and made sure that the shifter and cable were not the problem. While I was in that area I unplugged the wiring harness from the transmission, the latch is tricky, so be careful not to break it. Take off the trans pan and filter, 8mm wrench and T25 wrench. If you had the same issue I had, then there will be a small roller and a ½” long pin stuck to the magnet in the pan, but they could also be on top of the valve body. next take off the 6x 8mm bolts holding the valve body to the transmission, three and the front and three around the perimeter. Nothing will come flying out, its sealed up with O-rings and you cannot lose anything. Its heavier than it looks, so don’t drop it. Once that is down and on the work bench you will find the manual gear selector detent rack, the detent roller spring is held on with a t25 screw. I took that off, put the pin and roller back in it, and tack-welded that pin back in. winning. when reinstalling the detent roller, make sure to center it on the rack. When putting the valve body back on make sure to line up the manual gear selector pin to the slot in the manual gear slot on the valve body. Once it’s in, move the shift leg back and forth to make sure its in right and moves the gears both ways. Tighten the valve body bolts to 105 in/lb in a cross pattern, and reassemble like any other trans service after that. I did notice that unlike a trans service that there was more air in the fluid circuits for the first few minutes, but it smoothed out after a drive around the block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpAnf5O8KYo